• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Granted, but all the media screech about 3D printed guns is over an old problem that just doesn't seem very big. Sub guns like the MAC-10 are pretty simple construction for the home machinist but we don't see them being made or involved in mass shootings.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    JXv3jp5m.jpg

This one is a 22lr, I still need to install the pistol brace and side folder on it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Have to laugh at the concern. When I was a young lad MANY (mostly gang members) were shot in Chicago with "Zip Guns". These came about when the laws were changed and criminals caught with firearms were sentenced to fairly lengthy prison terms in Commie IL. They were made very quickly and were pretty deadly.

Basically the intended shooter carried a large rubber band, a (as I remember) #8 or #10 nail with the pointed end filed or hammered so that there it was flat with a sharp area at the outer edge to resemble a rim fire firing pin and a 22LR cartridge. The criminal would, when near the victim, break off a regular car antenna and remove the upper section.

With the remainder 2 sections a cartridge was dropped into the large section, then the nail with the sharp end pointed toward the cartridge and extended out of the antenna, the criminal would place the unit between his fingers and the rubber band looped over two fingers so that it stretched over the nail head. Pulling the nail back and releasing it fired the cartridge. When the deed was done, they would throw any items away and stroll away.

These actually worked pretty well and were fairly accurate within a few feet. There was enough uproar about them that all the major car manufacturer's changed the antenna design so they couldn't be made.

As I have said in many posts a criminal doesn't care how many laws they pass regarding acquiring firearms as they can obtain them from other criminals, steal them, or even go into a low class bar and purchase one very quickly. In my younger days when I entered these establishments, I have observed several gun sales conducted this way without any worry of laws!

Knowing the easy illegal methods of obtaining firearms that exist, I am quite certain criminals are not going to (1) purchase a printer or (2) learn to use it, make and debug a plastic gun!

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    I've said it before but it bears repeating.
    3D Printed (FDM) guns are next to useless as guns. They are, however, excellent as a political tool.
    It has always been legal to manufacture firearms for your own use as an individual, and there is no requirement to serialize them. Individuals have always made firearms using whatever tools and skills they have access to. 3DP does not change this.

What it does is force the following issues into the spotlight:
    - The government cannot control the manufacture of arms without controlling the means of manufacturing arms.
    - The government cannot control the dissemination of the knowledge and skills to manufacture arms without controlling all means of communication.
    Even if you went full authoritarian dystopia, you're not going to stop people from manufacturing arms. P.A. Luty proved these points in 1998, in Airstrip One no less.

Concerning the actual 'state of the art', in hobbyist-level additive manufacturing, I'm waiting for electron binder jetting (MIT's original Three Dimensional PrinterÂ*Â*™) to become the next big thing. It's basically just a powder bed and an inkjet printer head, if you can make FDM available on a consumer level you can do the same for this.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I was talking to a guy from Australia the other day and he mentioned 3D guns.
    I said, people can make about any gun they want with minimal tools anymore. I told him about polymer80 guns and his jaw dropped lol.

Most people are just afraid of what they dont know. But to the ausies i talked to the concept of "needing" or feeling like we needed to carry guns around every day was unimaginable to them.
    I know they have crime so i just dont understand their idea of being completely helpless if someone attacks them. You hope it never happens and you will never ever have to shoot someone but like a fire extinguisher youd rather have it than not and need it.
    It wasnt the place to get too deep with them on the issue but i have his contact info to stay in touch and im sure we will talk further.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Many years ago my dad had some plans for a “minuteman” machine gun, basically a cheap easily made ( for a machinist, which my dad was) it used grease gun mags (available in the sixties) so all this is just a modern take on the minuteman idea....

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have 10 full mags through my printed AR, no signs of stress. Useless? I don't think so. Easily a tool that you can use to procure better tools. Think of the WWII FP-45 Liberator.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    https://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2019/07/facebook-backs-off-ban-on-distribution.html
    Dean Weingarten said:
    What scares the hoplophobes, is not the ability to make these guns. It is the ease with which they and others, uneducated about guns, see how the ability to make guns overturns the premises of strict gun control.

Defense Distributed saw the potential first, and exploited it. Hoplophobes know little to nothing about guns or ammunition. They have first hand knowledge of computers and printers. Show them guns can be made with computers and printers. They instantly see the potential.

Tell them guns can be made with drills, files, hammers and anvils by illiterate tribesman in Pakistan or the Philippines, and they yawn. They relate to computers and printers. A drill and file is something people in the Red States have.

It is not so much 3D guns they fear; it is the clear understanding of the ease of making guns, promoted by the idea of 3D guns, they fear.

Top Bottom