• ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    IMG_20190522_182244.jpg

So nice day here so I decided to compare my edc versus my Colt light weight commander. What i found kind of surprised me with the standard sights on the Colt my shots were just a bit slower, but for the most part very solid for 35 feet. So this got me wondering how important are the Sights? Based on my results it seems that perhaps grip, trigger pull etc may play more of a role than this that or the other sight IMG_20190522_182236.jpg

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Trigger control. Need a grip that allows you to pull the trigger without moving the sights. If you have the best sight picture ever, it means absolutely nothing if you don't have a good trigger pull. Dry fire practice for trigger control.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    As said before, the slight canting off to the left is trigger control. Sights didn't do that.

Sights are incredibly important for aimed shooting and can be HELPFUL in point shooting. I'm not Mr. Leatham, but on the other hand, I've taken quite a few classes in the past and practice quite a bit. Having a high visibility front sight is VERY important and can help improve even your point shooting accuracy and precision because it gives your eye a more visible reference point.

The rear sight is important for not only accuracy but speed as well. A wider rear sight is faster on aimed shooting, but less precise under pressure. A narrow rear is GREAT for precision, but slow for aimed shots.

People like to say that sights aren't important in point shooting, but I think they are missing a great tool they already have riding on top of their weapon. Find a combination that works for you. You can "try" sights on various guns even if they aren't your pattern of weapon. Find out what's available for your Colt and find similar guns and see what you think on the sights.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    As said before, the slight canting off to the left is trigger control. Sights didn't do that.

Sights are incredibly important for aimed shooting and can be HELPFUL in point shooting. I'm not Mr. Leatham, but on the other hand, I've taken quite a few classes in the past and practice quite a bit. Having a high visibility front sight is VERY important and can help improve even your point shooting accuracy and precision because it gives your eye a more visible reference point.

The rear sight is important for not only accuracy but speed as well. A wider rear sight is faster on aimed shooting, but less precise under pressure. A narrow rear is GREAT for precision, but slow for aimed shots.

People like to say that sights aren't important in point shooting, but I think they are missing a great tool they already have riding on top of their weapon. Find a combination that works for you. You can "try" sights on various guns even if they aren't your pattern of weapon. Find out what's available for your Colt and find similar guns and see what you think on the sights.

Honestly i was thinking the sights on the Colt would have yielded superior results, than the XS Big dot and machined rear sight which is a plain black sight that was cut to allow for a little more light on the sides of the dot.

I know people dog the Big Dot but for the set up I have the front sight literally jumps out and is faster on target then any other combination I have tried. Thing of it is that I dont have eyesight issues, but for me it seems like the best combo and i think I will outfit my 1911's the same way.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Honestly i was thinking the sights on the Colt would have yielded superior results, than the XS Big dot and machined rear sight which is a plain black sight that was cut to allow for a little more light on the sides of the dot.

I know people dog the Big Dot but for the set up I have the front sight literally jumps out and is faster on target then any other combination I have tried. Thing of it is that I dont have eyesight issues, but for me it seems like the best combo and i think I will outfit my 1911's the same way.

Absolutely nothing wrong with XS. Not my fav but if it works for you and produces the ergonomic (not mechanical) accuracy that you need and fits your bill, then do it!

The key is whatever works the best for you.

This 1000%. Everyone get's hung up on "what sight is the FBI using on their new Gen5 Glox?" or "I saw these in Recoil magazine as the newest thing..." etc... Find what works for your needs and use it.

Top Bottom