• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'd like to start filling the log book with fun rifles and handguns when my paperwork clears. I'm sure I'll break down and get a grand, but what else should a c&r FFL holder keep an eye out for?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Holy open ended question Batman! :): Since you mentioned a Garand, how about some other WWII guns? Mausers, Enfields, Mosins, Carcanos, Arisakas, 1903's, 03-A3's. And that's just a few of the rifles that come to mind.

Get on Empire Arms' email list https://www.empirearms.com/ . You'll soon have plenty of suggestions.

Another good site is Allan's Armory https://www.allans-armory.com/aa.php They don't have as extensive a selection as Empire does, but he does have nice stuff and typically the guns are in better than described condition.

Do you reload? If not, you might want to consider it if you plan on shooting your guns, since the ammo can be either hard to find or expensive for some of them.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    The following list are mostly common modern calibers and doesn't even begin to scratch the surface, but you need to start somewhere.

Rifles ... like DoggyDaddy says, any of the military rifles, Winchester Pre-64 Model 70, any of the Marlin/Glenfield .22 LR varieties

Handguns ... Colt Woodsman and/or Hi Standard varieties, Colt or Smith & Wesson M1917, Luger P-08, Walther P-38, Mauser C-96 (broom handle)

Don't forget shotguns ... Winchester Model 37 and Winchester Model 12

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The following list are mostly common modern calibers and doesn't even begin to scratch the surface, but you need to start somewhere.

Rifles ... like DoggyDaddy says, any of the military rifles, Winchester Pre-64 Model 70, any of the Marlin/Glenfield .22 LR varieties

Handguns ... Colt Woodsman and/or Hi Standard varieties, Colt or Smith & Wesson M1917, Luger P-08, Walther P-38, Mauser C-96 (broom handle)

Don't forget shotguns ... Winchester Model 37 and Winchester Model 12

I forgot about the shotguns.

Are sporterized rifles still c&r eligible?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Cz 82's, any late 80s early 90s c&r sks, and any of the newest c&r eligible firearms that become available.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Any and all WWII rifles. They are already starting to be priced nearly "out of sight" for a lot of people. Take for example Swiss K-31 carbines. Back in 2015 a certain retail/internet shop had all you wanted for $300-350. Now try getting one for less that $550-600+. Be selective and buy quality items. It will be like money in the bank; actually way better than money in the bank. Best of luck!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Any and all WWII rifles. They are already starting to be priced nearly "out of sight" for a lot of people. Take for example Swiss K-31 carbines. Back in 2015 a certain retail/internet shop had all you wanted for $300-350. Now try getting one for less that $550-600+. Be selective and buy quality items. It will be like money in the bank; actually way better than money in the bank. Best of luck!

This right here. Wasn't all that long ago Mosins were sub $100, now look at them. Heck, I can remember when K31s were sub $200 on sale!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    This right here. Wasn't all that long ago Mosins were sub $100, now look at them. Heck, I can remember when K31s were sub $200 on sale!

I can remember when K31s were less than $100 if you bought 4 or more and singles were less than $150, wish I had bought several more at the time. Next to my Garand and carbine, the K31 is my favorite C&R rifle.

In addition to the K31 I would also suggest looking out for the following in no particular order:
    1. Swedish Mauser
    2. Savage 99
    3. Mossberg .22s
    4. M1 Carbine
    5. Ljungman/Hakim/Rasheed
    5. Mosin Nagant
    6. Enfield
    7. Webley
    8. Tokarev

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Good Lord man, come shoot a bunch before you buy them! I'll need to cut off ticket sales soon. I need to ensure there's enough ammo for everyone.

This is right up your alley:
    https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2019-jun-8-seelyville-in/

I love Revere's. Wish I had time to shoot with you guys more. side note I recently got elected president of a conservation club in decatur county, and my first thought was that I should get a Revere's class going here...

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

Pretty good advice. I purchased a K31 with a mounted scope a few years ago with my FFL-03. I could sell it now for several times the price I paid. However I do disagree with buying only quality items. I have a fairly large collection and some of the firearms that have gained the most percentage wise are the Mosins and SKS's I purchased for less than $100 each at Gun shows. The only "Quality" guns that approach the percentage gain are my Colt Anaconda, Colt King Cobra and my Russian SVD-40!

A few years ago I purchased several Mosins and gave one to 2 very close friends and one each to 3 of my sons (All involved held LTCH's). I also purchased some of the inexpensive C&R handguns ~ fun to shoot.

Had I any idea of the future prices of the "cheap" surplus imports like the Mosins and SKS's I would have purchased more. However I did purchase several as I could not pass up the "Arsenal refurbished rifles for $89 to $99 each" at almost every gun show I attended.
    However I did not purchase nor collect for monetary gain as I do not sell any firearms. My collection will go to my sons.

Top Bottom