Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by russc2542 View Post
    What do you consider to be the criteria for each of those? almost anything from the big name manufacturers over $500 (currently) would work fine for 95% of people.

What's your budget?
    What's "Reliable"? 500 rounds between failure? 1000? 10,000? How often do you clean it? How dirty of ammo do you shoot?
    What's "durable"? lives through shooting a couple thousand .223 or being used as a club/hammer?
    What's your intended use? distance? Paper or varmints?
    Oh no, now you've done it.
    Well the sheriff couldn't catch me now, but his little girl? Sure wish she would.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Oh no, now you've done it.
    Hold my Beer!

There is no such thing OP! What you are asking for is a AK.
    Last edited by Ricnzak; 06-04-2019 at 12:17. Reason: Fat Fingers

User Info Menu

Lol, so what AR has fanboys that insists it is the only one out there.... hmmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Lol, so what AR has fanboys that insists it is the only one out there.... hmmm
    BCM, duh. We already did this in that other thread I linked to.
    Well the sheriff couldn't catch me now, but his little girl? Sure wish she would.

User Info Menu

There was a time when the ABCs of ARs was all you had to know, Armalite, Bushmaster or Colt. Since then the Bushmaster name is on the rifle of a company with a spotty reputation, and you could add "RR" for Rock River as maker of high quality ARs.

These days it seems everybody is making variations of the venerable AR-15. Some good, some not so, but like anything else you can find people that hate one brand, love another, and people love the one that person hates, etc.

There are enough aftermarket parts that if you find one that you like on looks alone, and it is not perfect, there are enough parts companies that you can make it right yourself.

User Info Menu

Palmetto State Armory has your answer. Right now rifle length guns aren't in fashion. I would say the 10.5" "pistol" is the sweetheart you're after.
    I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

To be fair, the title of that thread doesn't exactly help.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!
    Yes. Yes, I'm serious.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of store bought, more home build from piecing parts. Some costing more than others. They all go bang, and all their own characteristics just like hand guns.
    PSA makes a decent product, the new Sig M400 is a nice unit. Just like any gun purchase do some research, and learn the pros and cons for each gun.
    Have fun with your quest

User Info Menu

Considering that most ARs are relatively the same, let's be honest: The small parts are made at very few facilities, C158 bolts are made at only a few facilities, only a few reputable forges outside of China make the receiver blanks for final milling at end manufacturers, etc... And, frankly, barrels are relatively the same unless you are paying for more QC, higher standard of manufacture, etc... for the most part, a good nitride barrel is a good nitride barrel is a good nitride barrel.

What you would be looking for isn't necessarily a certain manufacturer, but type/set up of AR. I believe the G19 of the AR world is:
    16" carbine/reliable midlength gas with 1:7 twist, nitride or chrome lined barrel, flat top upper receiver with dust cover, etc...
    A CHROME lined (not nitride, not NiB) phosphate bolt carrier, 158 Carpenter bolt
    Basic M4 furniture

Reliable, relatively accurate, easy to maintain and durable. I'd skip the nitride carriers as I've had them slick themselves dry with all sorts of different lubes, including greases. Its surface is just too slippery but not enough to continuously lube itself.

What the G19 represents is a mid size, high capacity handgun that is easily concealable, has enough ergonomic accuracy and capacity to compete with full size handguns, reliable, accurate and durable. When it comes to rifles, "concealability" isn't an issue, lol, but working around tight areas is.
    In my mind:
    G19: 16 or 14.5"
    G26: 10.3-10.5"
    G17: 20"
    Don't get me wrong, I love the G17 and 20" AR15s, but they are larger than really necessarily needed, harder to work to around in concealment(pistol)/vehicles(rifle) than their G19 and 26 cousins, and with modern ammunition (in both rifle and pistol comparisons), the extra barrel length isn't necessary unless you are using older/fragmentation dependent ammo. Even the sight radius argument on G17/20" vs G19/G26/16" is moot with modern optics.
    It's over for now... it seems... until yesterday begins again...tomorrow...

User Info Menu

RK Guns has the Ruger on sale for $499. That's a great deal on solid rifle that will get you started. And as DH just said you can easily upgrade/replace parts if needed as time goes on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast