• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    I believe Marion County Fish and Game does allow centerfire rifle in the approved calibers. No 30-06 etc. But 357 mag 44 mag and other handgun calibers listed in rules are good to go.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I believe Marion County Fish and Game does allow centerfire rifle in the approved calibers. No 30-06 etc. But 357 mag 44 mag and other handgun calibers listed in rules are good to go.

But those are not considered "Centerfire Rifle" calibers generally, they are centerfire pistol calibers that can be used in rifles and carbines, etc, and referenced that way for simplicity.

In any case, as you stated, here's the list of calibers and the rules, etc for MCF&G. It is membership only. There is also information on the site about joining.

https://indyrange.net/rules/

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN

I looked into MCFG because I live close. The requirements turned me off. I'm not interested in mandatory training classes or being put to work one day a year. I know a lot of people say this as an excuse, but I'm busy. Their range, their rules, but I'm not playing.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I used to go to a range in Illinois because my fiance lives there and she was a range member at a small range near her town. Illinois passed some Draconian laws recently that has driven them out of business. She's going to move here soon so I need to find a range.

Here's what I'm looking for:

-Private range that allows guests, fees ok.
    -100 yard rifle range minimum.
    -No forced membership in other organizations (NRA, etc).
    -An office that is open more than from 8 to 12 on Wednesday, or at least the capability to contact someone about membership. (lots of ranges seem to have outdated contact info).
    -No outside requirements other than paying yearly dues.
    -Thirty to forty-five minutes from Indy's west side. Represent!:ar15:

I don't care about camping, attending meetings, fishing, or any of the other trappings the ranges I've found seem to have. I just want to pay my dues and go shoot a couple of times a month.

I think I am asking the impossible.

Chris

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I looked into MCFG because I live close. The requirements turned me off. I'm not interested in mandatory training classes or being put to work one day a year. I know a lot of people say this as an excuse, but I'm busy. Their range, their rules, but I'm not playing.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I used to go to a range in Illinois because my fiance lives there and she was a range member at a small range near her town. Illinois passed some Draconian laws recently that has driven them out of business. She's going to move here soon so I need to find a range.

-An office that is open more than from 8 to 12 on Wednesday, or at least the capability to contact someone about membership. (lots of ranges seem to have outdated contact info).

I don't care about camping, attending meetings, fishing, or any of the other trappings the ranges I've found seem to have. I just want to pay my dues and go shoot a couple of times a month.

Chris
    Sounds like you need to build your own range ... or make a few concessions on an existing range that is membership based.

If you're willing to make some concessions, you might check out Crawfordsville Gun Club ... 3225 State Road 47 North / Crawfordsville, IN 47933 ... GPS 40.08657 , -86.81557.

They have a pistol bay that allows you to shoot to 15 yds., a 100 yd range for any long range work you might want to do (centerfire rifle is o.k., but no 50 BMG or larger allowed), a 50 yd .22 LR only range, and a small informal trap program.

All targets must be set at the backstop, so if you want to shoot closer than 100 yds you move your body closer to the backstop.

Absolutely no steel can be set, but plastic spinners work nicely if you tire of paper targets.

The yearly cost is $40. They have a strict "No Guest" policy, so if you wanted to bring along a friend, they'd have to join the club too.

The club board meets the first Sunday of each month starting at 9:00 AM and are usually done by 10:00 AM. You can sign up for a membership before or after that meeting.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Chris

As far as I am aware, the MCF&G Volunteer day is just that. Volunteer.

You do have to go to one meeting to join, and the class thing was brought in some time back (after I joined), but it is now a requirement to take a class, but believe there are several different ones you can take.

Other than the class aspect, it is pay your dues for the year and shoot.

That said, if you are wanting to shoot centerfire rifle cartridges, then it would still be a no go.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

Chris

Well...the Winamac FWA range(which is free and VERY nice) would fill all your requirements... except the 30-45 minute one.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Avoid the Cloverdale Conservation Club. Fascism is alive and well there. I have been a member for 3 or 4 years. It will end in July when my membership expires. The most unfriendly range I have ever been associated with in any capacity.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    ProTEQ Firearms Academy | Brazil, IN 47834 about an hour west, but well worth the drive.

Marion County Fish and Game is really close but no centerfire rifle. (near Speedway)
    Atlanta CC is good, and just north of Noblesville.

I've been interested in ProTeq for a bit. Looks like its about an hour and 20 minutes or so one way for me.

I've never been out there before. I've checked out their website and it has a ton of info out there but not in the best format.

It looks like if I wanted to shoot on some steel, etc then the premium membership would be best for me, as I don't think I currently need the distances that the platinum would get me:

"PREMIUM Membership provides access to BOTH the West & South Valleys. The South Valley provides several shooting assets; A 3 to 15 yard Roof Covered
    10 Lane Pistol Range (LE/M) with fixed Paper Target boards; A Roof Covered multi-bay, building facade, Pistol Range (C.A.R.) Complex that includes

a Forward Moving Paper Target Shoot House, a Lateral Moving Steel Target Shoot House, & a Wide Bay Training Area; A dedicated Rim Fire Range (22/4U),

A 150 yard Rifle Range, and the NEW 15 by 60 yard Multi-Purpose Range (MPR) providing Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun Capability for Special Training Classes,

Premium & Platinum Member Use, or Private Event Rentals. This NEW Area contains many assets such as: a Clay Pigeon Thrower, Paper Target Stands,

Steel Plate Swinging Targets, Barricades, Portable Roof, Tables, Chairs, Fire Ring, and more. The South Valley can currently host about 40 shooters on the

various firing lines. "

Also looks like I would get access for family (kids under 24 that are dependents, etc) which would be good. Also looks like there is no prorating and no matter when you join in the year, you pay for the whole year, is that correct?

I guess my question is, for those that are familiar with their layout, does ProTeq have bays like MCF&G that can be shared or single shooter and that have reactive steel targets?

I see some references to bays and steel, but not sure if there are several and somewhat designed to be used by a single shooter or are these more like shooting on a line, even though it is a bay.

Hope that makes sense.

I guess I could roll out there and just pay the daily fee, but also see that is not able to be upgraded to an annual membership. Looks like I can just complete the form for a membership and drop it that day and shoot if I did want to join (?). Do they send you a badge or some kind of membership credential?

Just trying to see what I would gain with getting a membership to ProTeq in addition to my MCF&G membership, besides being able to shoot centerfire rifle calibers of course.

Thanks in advance.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes, Proteq doesnt prorate their membership. But compared to other ranges, the price isnt bad even if you dont join/pay until later in the year. He is setup for people to show up the first visit of the year, fill out the app, and then drop the signed sheet in the box with your payment.

You are correct about the premium membership. For close steel, in the south valley they have several bays full of steel you can shoot with pistols or PCCs. its possible to have I think 3 people shooting steel at the same time. More if they dont need to use the plate racks/dueling trees.

For rifles you can either setup your own steel at 150 yards, or he has several plates down there already.

He also has a covered pistol bay in that valley. You can get 8 on the line.

There are no badges or anything. You just show up and sign in/out.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes, Proteq doesnt prorate their membership. But compared to other ranges, the price isnt bad even if you dont join/pay until later in the year. He is setup for people to show up the first visit of the year, fill out the app, and then drop the signed sheet in the box with your payment.

You are correct about the premium membership. For close steel, in the south valley they have several bays full of steel you can shoot with pistols or PCCs. its possible to have I think 3 people shooting steel at the same time. More if they dont need to use the plate racks/dueling trees.

For rifles you can either setup your own steel at 150 yards, or he has several plates down there already.

He also has a covered pistol bay in that valley. You can get 8 on the line.

There are no badges or anything. You just show up and sign in/out.

Thanks for the info. I may just have to make the drive one day soon and check it out.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Sounds like you need to build your own range ... or make a few concessions on an existing range that is membership based.

If you're willing to make some concessions, you might check out Crawfordsville Gun Club ... 3225 State Road 47 North / Crawfordsville, IN 47933 ... GPS 40.08657 , -86.81557.

They have a pistol bay that allows you to shoot to 15 yds., a 100 yd range for any long range work you might want to do (centerfire rifle is o.k., but no 50 BMG or larger allowed), a 50 yd .22 LR only range, and a small informal trap program.

All targets must be set at the backstop, so if you want to shoot closer than 100 yds you move your body closer to the backstop.

Absolutely no steel can be set, but plastic spinners work nicely if you tire of paper targets.

The yearly cost is $40. They have a strict "No Guest" policy, so if you wanted to bring along a friend, they'd have to join the club too.

The club board meets the first Sunday of each month starting at 9:00 AM and are usually done by 10:00 AM. You can sign up for a membership before or after that meeting.

I'm looking into Crawfordsville quite seriously now. Thanks!

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Crosley SRA (Jennings co.). A bit farther of a drive, but a very nice place. Outdoor, free, DNR on site. Ranges @: 10, 30, 50, 100, & 200.
    I was just there today

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Chris

You are kidding right? I bet you want that for $25 a year as well. I am the officer at A gun club and we used to run the range just like you outlined. Except for the office part. How would we ever have an “office” with an unpaid volunteer staff? I can tell you this when we raised the dues, started to require attendance at a meeting and an orientation, we cleaned up a lot of mess. For those that visit our facility I bet they have noticed a lot of growth. As a club I can tell you the members we don’t want, those that pay their dues to shoot a couple times a year. Yes we have those people, yes we welcome those people, yes you can be that person, but it doesn’t do anything to actually help the club. We are accepting new members but are not seeking new members at this time. So when someone complains they can’t make a meeting or orientation it falls on deaf ears. We will make concessions because people work different shifts but if we do it takes time away from our personal lives to do so. As an officer why would I go out of my way to onboard a member that brings nothing meaningful to my club?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    The kind of ranges that don’t require any sort of participation or work are hogwash.

Top Bottom