• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I'm a lefty, but right eye dominant, have shot enough now that using my left eye for sights is natural. In the total population 10% are lefties. In computer programming it is close to 50%.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Another cross-eye dominant (left eye, mostly right hand). Shoot pistols Weaver/CAR hybrid stance so I can use my left eye. Rifles right eye and hand. Being ambidextrous, I'm already confused by right/left, so at least I'm used to it. I tend to shoot a lot of ambi rifles (RFB, RDB, etc) in case the situation requires me to switch hands, which I find easier than modifying cover/stance. Our youngest is left hand and eye, so ambi rifles are good for him.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I am just a natural left hand person that is right eye dominant. Have to shoot with both eyes open.
    All pistols are configured to left hand use but own no lefty rifles or shotguns. Just learned to shoot those.
    If ever wanting to sell a pistol and holster configured to the left, I never realized that there were so many people that could use that setup.
    Growing up back in the 60's one was pushed to use their right hand for writing and parents were encouraged to force this change on their left handed offspring.
    Kind of nuts when you think about it.
    Thanks gents for sharing

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Right-eye dominant, but do all sports lefty. Pistols in either hand. Write right-handed, though. Just seems most comfortable.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I am just a natural left hand person that is right eye dominant. Have to shoot with both eyes open.
    All pistols are configured to left hand use but own no lefty rifles or shotguns. Just learned to shoot those.
    If ever wanting to sell a pistol and holster configured to the left, I never realized that there were so many people that could use that setup.
    Growing up back in the 60's one was pushed to use their right hand for writing and parents were encouraged to force this change on their left handed offspring.
    Kind of nuts when you think about it.

Thanks gents for sharing

Born in 1970 but this happened to me as well. When I was about 10 my dad took me to the archery center in Muncie to get my first real bow. They put me on the range to try some stuff out. I couldn't hit even get close to the target. The guy watched me for a few shots then said he'd be right back. He brought me a left handed bow and showed me how to hold it. I did much better after that. The left handed stuff went home with us.

Same thing with rifles. I've had the eye dominance problem all my life as well. I shoot long guns and bows left handed because of it, everything else right handed. I kind of had to learn this on my own. My family was never into guns at all so I had to learn from a couple of friends that had them. We knew nothing about eye dominance.

It was many years after that, well probably about 10 years ago, that my dad confessed to me that every time I picked something up with my left hand as a baby and child he would take it out and put it in my right hand.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm a lefty, but right eye dominant, have shot enough now that using my left eye for sights is natural. In the total population 10% are lefties. In computer programming it is close to 50%.

Yep. Write leftie. Right eye dominant so shoot rightie but can really shoot with either. I'm a technical guy & work in IT.

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    Another lefty here....I’m also right eye dominant but still shoot lefty. I find most long guns are set up better for lefties. Lots of left handed cops as well.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Yet another Lefty here ..........Have learned to adapt in the Right Hand world .
    Left eye dominant , write left handed , ....bat and kick right footed ( My brothers taught me )
    Actually prefer a lot of " right handed " long guns as well ( SNAFU ) especially a bolt gun .
    Through all of my handgun dealings, I have accumulated quite a few right handed holsters that were thrown in to sweeten the deal ... :):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Another member of the lefty club here. Never had a problem with riding the slide stop until the M2.0 Smith and the Glock 19X joined the family. Little adjusting and now good to go. :):

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    I'm another cross-dominant, right-handed, left eye dominant guy. I shoot pistols right handed but rifles left handed.
    Good grief, it looks like half of INGO is anomalous dominant. I once read that people like us tend to have difficulty in school because our brains are slow to process verbal information. Anybody else have that kind of experience? I struggled a lot until around high school. Maybe I learned to adapt by then...

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Growing up I did everything left handed. When I started golfing after high school, I got right handed clubs since they are easier to find. Plus, I knew I would try to hit a homerun if I did it left handed. A couple years later, while getting started in archery, I learned I was right eye dominant. I shoot right handed. When I got into pistols, I just shot right handed as well. I still shoot long guns left, but can shoot right as well.

Top Bottom