Looking for Feedback on IWL Fort Wayne (Huntertown)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    This is in NE Indiana about three miles east of Huntertown. There is a modest R&P range, Skeet and Trap on occasion.

Is there anything anyone is willing to share their experiences? Is this the right spot for this? Will the Sun blow up tomorrow? Who knows?
    If you have any feed-back, I would appreciate receiving it.

Thanks!

In full disclosure, I do have some loose affiliations with the group. I ask this out of a personal curiosity because there seems to be several NE Indiana people on-board here.
    I would like to find out what kinds of experiences others have had. Good or Bad. Recent or Past.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had to look that uo... oh, Isaac Walton League. I haven't been there in years, but if the wind is right, I can hear it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    They just reconstructed their R&P range recently, not bad, but membership is expensive, and their board recently was a big CF. Close to us also, but I'd rather drive to Antwerp - it's cheaper, has more and longer ranges, and not so much drama.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have long considered joining up, as it is near my residence, and I have shot there twice—last time on the new range. I am interested in the feedback also. It is a very nice facility and fits with my shooting skills. I enjoyed shooting there, and the range officer let us shoot as we desired without hassle. I do not know anything about the drama of the board.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Any idea what a membership would cost?

And then there's this:
    Practical Pistol (Concealed Draw & Shoot), or “Cowboy draw” shooting is not allowed on our Range(s). There also, shall be no
    “Double Tapping”, nor is Rapid Firing allowed. There will be a minimum of two (2) seconds between all shots on either the Rifle
    or Pistol Ranges.
    Meh.

Reminds me, time to get a skeet gun and head to St. Joe.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I think that it is currently $140 for an annual single membership, $170 for family. That includes range privileges. I'm pretty sure they pro-rate for the year, so the rest of this year should be at a discounted rate.

The RSO's seemed to be flexible on the shooting speed rule. Known members seem to be treated with a little more discretion.

They changed the rule about double taps. "Controlled pairs" are allowed after you have demonstrated some kind of competency to the RSO. Yeah, definitely no mag-dumps and no holster draw.

I think they were trying to avoid conflicts with what is called at Hillside the "Rat-a-tat-tat kids"

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I had a friend who was trying to recruit me to join the IWL. I was there with him several times and never felt very welcome.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    One of the reasons I posted this was 'cause I wanted to be able to compare others' experiences to mine.

I thought maybe I was doing it wrong.

I didn't want a slash and burn session or anything. I am just looking for honest feedback from other people's viewpoint. Good, bad or otherwise.

Good feed-back so far! I hope a few more people are willing to chime in.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have shot there many times as a guest, and was a member for a couple years. This was before they had a range officer.

Some outings were great, some not so much.

I'm not sure how it is now, but the thing I hated most back then was how often the range was closed on Saturdays for events.

jpr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I never had any problems with the place. I used to take the kids out to fish on the little pond they have. They also have an archery range and lots of trails so there is lot of different things to do. I was the person to get them hooked up with RSO training. In the long run, the range rules just wouldn't let me shoot the way I wanted to.

Top Bottom