HK Financial Troubles.....another one bites the dust???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    If this is a dupe, my apologies. I tried searching.

It seems that HK is now in financial troubles from dwindling government contracts. It seems that when the militaries of the world slow down purchases, that the civilian market is where the money is at. Hooda thunk?

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-d...4uwdMUI3Ou0ycjxSoScSxeyCqy8akmbfk30PUBGFa5wiM

In most countries HK refused to sell even neutered versions of their iconic guns. The "Because you suck, and we hate you" meme that has been floating around for years and assigned to HK may be more truthful than HK is willing to admit. (click here for reference)

In recent years HK has been bringing more modern products to the civilian market with the VP9 series. But for the most part, it think it is far too little too late. IMHO...if HK had embraced the civilian market back in the 70's, 80's or even the 90's, they would not be in this situation.

First German Sig (Sig America seems to be strong), and now HK. Will Germany have any major world playing firearms manufacturing left?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think Germany is so enlightened now, they are embarrassed to have an arms company in their borders.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    H&K never learned something that Beretta figured out, you need a civilian market in the event you lose a military contract. Beretta understands the US market and has come out with some really nice firearms. On the other hand, H&K so trashed the US market that many of us would not take one of their weapons even if given one and promised free lifetime support. They suck and we hate them too.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The main reason why the US doesn't get the fun semi auto versions of Hks is not so much they hate us, but rather the German government regulates export and won't allow them to send over the cool stuff. Although the running joke of you suck and we hate you is funny cause it does seem that way on the surface.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If they hadn't overpriced their products for years, i would probably have 5 or 6 of their handguns by now. Just have a VP9 now.
    Would really like a P2000 with a LEM trigger.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The main reason why the US doesn't get the fun semi auto versions of Hks is not so much they hate us, but rather the German government regulates export and won't allow them to send over the cool stuff. Although the running joke of you suck and we hate you is funny cause it does seem that way on the surface.

Correct me if I am wrong but it also had a lot more to do with the first Prez Bush signing a import restriction in 1989 more than the German Government. (I was a young military troop in 1989 when it happened and I hat was when. The cheap SKS and Norinco dries up) I remember the interview where Bush said he had a "pulse change" referring to his change of mind on it when a reporter asked about it.

I've used HK MP5s exclusively and they are great sub guns. Sgot a few VP9 and USP and they are great just as a civilian shooter you have to really search to find a stocking dealer

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I think Germany is so enlightened now, they are embarrassed to have an arms company in their borders.

Yup. I suspect Merkel & Co are rubbing their hands at the thought of their dirty neanderthal arms companies finally going away. They can get away with it because the endgame is an EU military staffed and equipped by the more, uh, disposable countries. Or, just no military at all, because they're enlightened and ascended and all their problems can be solved with sufficient application of liberalism. :dunno:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Was reading yesterday one can order parts and do the LEM conversion.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-refe...t-v3-da-sa-p30-p30s-p30l-p30ls-v1-v2-lem.html

For sure. I believe the author of that thread may be a Hoosier, IIRC. Picked up some lem parts from him a few years ago.

The 'We hate you' bit is a tad dated guys... HK's US customer service has been quite helpful in sending spare parts when I've had the need to call them.

EDIT: Thanks for posting the link Kirk, 2019-'2007'=12 years.

YMMV. :ingo:

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I think HK started slipping when they quit making the P9 series and the P7 series. Both were nice pistols, and in my own opinion, superior to the junk they vomit out now.

Top Bottom