• ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Tomorrow we are meeting with the contractor and I FINALLY get my long awaited/promised gun room / safe room in the basement. I've been compiling pics, info, and thoughts for my 12'x8'x9' rectangular space. This will be a hidden door design (as of now). I have an idea in my head, but new ideas are welcome . Ammo can storage, bags, tools, accessories, future display expansion, tv, couple chairs and table, hardwood floor, shelf (not a reloader), & such. Just looking for personal experience & insight. My Google-Fu is strong with the wife's Pintrist-fu.
    Let 'er rip!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Tomorrow we are meeting with the contractor and I FINALLY get my long awaited/promised gun room / safe room in the basement. I've been compiling pics, info, and thoughts for my 12'x8'x9' rectangular space. This will be a hidden door design (as of now). I have an idea in my head, but new ideas are welcome . Ammo can storage, bags, tools, accessories, future display expansion, tv, couple chairs and table, hardwood floor, shelf (not a reloader), & such. Just looking for personal experience & insight. My Google-Fu is strong with the wife's Pintrist-fu.
    Let 'er rip!

I'm not sure how far you are, but I would recommend a drain if not in a flood plain, and vent either way.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'm not sure how far you are, but I would recommend a drain if not in a flood plain, and vent either way.
    Covered. I'm in the middle of the hill. Dehumidifier talk . Vent in and return to be discussed as it s new construction. He got a smile when we discovered we are 2A guys.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Poured concrete walls and ceiling? Existing home?

Have you picked out a vault door yet? (Security through obscurity is a fallacy) Smith Safe in Ohio made mine - good quality, good price. For me, it was an easy drive over to pick it up.

Bring a network (i.e. Cat5e/6) cable or two into the room. I keep my network server in there. Keep your utilities on the surface of the wall rather than inside the wall.

I finished mine in January; it's 7'x8' room of steel and wood based on FEMA's plans with significant reinforcements.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Adjustable vertical gun rack on the wall with shelving beneath for ammo cans/knife/handgun storage beneath. Current gun room has a Diebold vault door opening into 14'x14' room underneath the bump-out sun room.

Double 5/8" fire code drywall in the ceiling, caulked on perimeter. Block wall voids for the vault door are filled with concrete. Tile flooring with de-humidifier. Great upgrade over gun safe.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Poured concrete walls and ceiling? Existing home?

Have you picked out a vault door yet? (Security through obscurity is a fallacy) Smith Safe in Ohio made mine - good quality, good price. For me, it was an easy drive over to pick it up.

Bring a network (i.e. Cat5e/6) cable or two into the room. I keep my network server in there. Keep your utilities on the surface of the wall rather than inside the wall.

I finished mine in January; it's 7'x8' room of steel and wood based on FEMA's plans with significant reinforcements.

3 of the 4 walls are https://www.superiorwalls.com all touching earth. I'm still shopping doors. Thanks for the info.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    \

Just worked though the same issue, how many long guns are we talking about???... How many hand guns???.. Any weight restrictions ???

Truthfully, I'd need to go count (est. 50 total), but it is a continuous work in progress (with inheritance factored in). Modular is the way I'm leaning since many will just be "stored" and a select few will positioned horizontally. Cabinets and a counter are a thought. I need to accommodate gear, supplies, and around 30 ammo cans currently.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Make sure your door opens inward so debris on the outside cannot block you in. Figure how many shelves/cabinets/storage you need then double it. And, if you think you might ever start reloading in it, your room is not big enough!

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Well, I would not store the ammo in the safe, gives you more gun room.. Now What I did was to take each wall and devide it in half horizonally.. This way you can place rifles in 2 levels Carbines on top, Rifles on the bottom..

Next I used those Safe storage rods, you can go three levels deep on each on each shelf.

Gun-storage-racks-rifle-rods_grande.jpg

You place the back row of guns close together, The 2nd level, place between the 1st guns, Repeat with third..

Now the coup de grace,( that is a little French Lingo for Doggydaddy)..

Turn the guns so the receivers face out, easier to spot the gun you want.. You may have to add a ledge on the floor so each row can lean back a little.. You have to move about 6 guns to get one in the back.

Also you can customize your set up to accommodate scopes and really big crew served weapons. and not loose space

Now if you buy those rods they are like 3 bucks each, but you can make really nice ones for under 1 dollar each.. Now when you get to 300 guns, you will have saved enough for a new gun..

Charleybravo56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Nashville
    Look into vapor barriers and thermal breaks to prevent condensation. They’re after the fact items that you can’t install after it’s finished.
    Also consider baking it, or heating it for a week to hyper dry it.
    Pour biodegradable oil in the floor drain to prevent the water from evaporating the trap and eventually stinking.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    You might want to consider a mini split A/C, not all that expensive and will help with humidity. I know basements are typically cool anyway. Just a suggestion, you may want to at least explore the idea.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I'm in the process of the same thing as well , not a hidden room though . I went with a door from Smith security safes as someone else had already mentioned . Can't say enough about the quality and fitment . Nice piece for less $ than some of the others out there , ecspecially for what you get .

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I have a neighbor who is in the basement digging and pouring business, he used his porch floor as his roof/ceiling of his safe room and the rest of the walls are concrete with one door. Very nice, always been a dream.
    Ive been entertaining the thought of burying a shipping container and pouring a floor over it when we build a new shop - wonder how this would work?

Top Bottom