• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Mods, feel free to move this if you don't feel like it's the appropriate area.

I've decided it's time to invest in a quality pair of shooting gloves, and holy cow batman are there a ton of choices. I figured I'd let the hivemind help in my choosing of a pair. So what say INGO? What brand of shooting glove are you currently running, and are you happy with their durability/performance?

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I'll follow this thread, but can I ask what made you decide you need/want gloves? My biggest reservation is loss of the trigger 'feel'. Anyway, hope you get lots of comments!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/MECHANIX-W...thetic-Leather-Multipurpose-Gloves/1000386815

781513637791.jpg

I've been using this specific pair from Lowe's for a year now and they are great! Handgun, and carbine work. I wore them to the Larry Vickers carbine course and they did great in solid rain Sat. and in transition drills. I did find myself only wearing the Left glove after a while Sunday only because it was a slight hassle trying to paste tape on targets with them.
    I will never again buy a pair of gloves of this type that have the velcro strap around the wrist. The new elastic slip on ones make more of a difference than I thought they would.
    This particular model number glove has a pad on the perfect spot, the base of the finger next to your thumb. I always cut that knuckle on something when I run the carbine (class or 2 gun) and the pad is cut up but not dead yet demonstrating how much it has saved my finger/knuckle.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I'm a fan of Ansell Combat gloves - can usually find them cheap on Ebay. Also, Mechanix Wear Fast Fit gloves are nice and are still very tactile.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I use the common weightlifter gloves available at Walmart, Academy, other sporting goods stores. They are a combination of materials, light weight. Flexible, and have padding in the palm where I want it. Nice variety, fingerless, $10-15. I think I'm using Harbinger brand, or something like that.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I've always rocked Jersey gloves. Cheap work well and come out of the washing machine like brand new. Love em.

Need a little more protection then buckskin is great but so is the price. Mechanics gloves are ok but I wore them out quickly.

It's all personal preference that's why there is so many.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I got issued Wiley x orions (had to look up the name) in the corps. I loved them so much, I stashed as many as I could. Thin leather, fire resistant, durable. You dont lose any feel. Much better than the nomex's we were originally issued.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Okay. Can you guys help me?
    Why use gloves?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or silly. I really want to know.

For me, I wear them when field shooting, 100-400 yard position shooting, so I can put pressure on the sling and not worry as much about that transferring to my hands/fingers getting pressed against rails and corners. It helps with steady hold factors and natural point of aim by not having to use muscles to grip the rail, let the proper use of the sling do the work.
    For 2 gun or more tactical carbine work I use them because by the end of the day I'll have a bunch of little nicks and scrapes otherwise and every once and a while a pretty good one. I find that if I wear at least one on my left hand I do quicker transitions and weapons manipulations because I'm not worried about cutting or scraping myself. Plus it is one less thing to distract my brain from the task at hand.
    I'll try to get a pic of my left glove and the wear it's gotten on the knuckle that would have been my finger.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ll be picking up a pair for trap. My Cynergy has a very aggressively textured trigger and after two rounds you really start to feel it. Sucks the fun out of it.

Otherwise, they can be used to soften recoil or more grip when it’s wanted without the aggressive stippling against the skin.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Why use gloves?

I honestly just use mine as some protection in the winter. Not real warm because of what they are, but more for protection, scuffs, scrapes, some elements protection and they work well for shooting and I keep a lot of dexterity. I don't use them the rest of the year. I've busted my a$$ a couple of times in the winter and they saved my hands from a lot of damage.

Mine allow me to have that protection and also shoot with them, and I do use them during range trips in the winter, etc, but it is more of a glove that I can use when gloves are needed, but also allow me to shoot and have a good bit of dexterity.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I mostly wear gloves for a little protection from sharp slide serrations and to get a better grip on the minimal sized CZ Shadow 2 slide.

Most of the year I use 100% Celium motorcycle gloves. They are extremely thin, breathable and still allow me to load mags. One season is about all you can expect out of gloves this light but I love them for shooting and mountain biking.

In cool to cold weather I like LAPD Core Shooting Gloves which are still fairly thin gloves but a good compromise between warmth and dexterity.

Obviously I am not looking for significant knuckle protection with these choices of gloves.

One important thing I've found for range use is that the gloves fit snugly without extra length in the fingers that make it difficult to load mags.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Why use gloves?

The best reasons I can come up with are to avoid/limit contact to lead. When you are sweating and your pores have opened up it becomes easier for you body to absorb small amounts of lead.
    I have a friend that I have known since I was in scouts that is a competitive shooter in multiple disciplines. A few years ago he had to take a break from shooting due to having absorbed too much lead. I can't recall what his symptoms were but he ended up having to have blood draws weekly to monitor it. His Dr told him that after handling guns/ammo to wash his hands with cold water to minimize absorption. I don't shoot enough to have much concern of that happening.

I have some very thin leather Browning gloves that I sometimes wear. Mostly just as a heat barrier against hot barrels and to keep from getting powder residue on my hands.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’ll be picking up a pair for trap. My Cynergy has a very aggressively textured trigger and after two rounds you really start to feel it. Sucks the fun out of it.

Otherwise, they can be used to soften recoil or more grip when it’s wanted without the aggressive stippling against the skin.

Ok not to sound like a jerk but can you post a pic of the textured trigger? I have never heard of anyone having an issue with the texture on a shotgun before.
    In fact I have never seen a textured trigger on a shotgun...but there's plenty I haven't seen

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ok not to sound like a jerk but can you post a pic of the textured trigger? I have never heard of anyone having an issue with the texture on a shotgun before.
    In fact I have never seen a textured trigger on a shotgun...but there's plenty I haven't seen

Browning has an adjustable and interchangeable trigger system on the Cynergy. It’s pretty nifty, mostly. One them is a wide faced trigger with an aggressive checker cut into the trigger face. The other two options are smooth faced, finding them seems to be a problem though.

Page 37 has the checkered trigger showing.
    https://www.browning.com/content/da...rs-manuals/2019/18-BFA-612_Cynergy OM_WEB.pdf

Edit: it’s the Triple Trigger system, been around for awhile it turns out. Not just on the Cynergy.

Top Bottom