• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossHogg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2019
    Lafayette
    If my brother gifted me a handgun would it be legal for me to carry it concealed OR open in my home and on my property? It would be for home use ONLY and never taken into public or off my private property. I ran into a crazy meth head that was extremly violent in my garage a few weeks back and having a handgun on me at all times while I'm at home would make me feel alot more at ease after that. Btw I would not have **** that person if I had a gun at the time because he came at me with his fists not a weapon. I'm not a violent person that just wants to hurt somebody unless it would be totally justified. The reason I dont get one myself is because I have severe social anxiety disorder and I honestly never leave my home. I cant bring myself to leave my own property. I recive ssi for my social anxiety as well so I didn't know if that would play a part in it. I've never been charged with a violent crime or anything like that and I haven't been deemed as incompetent by a judge. Like I said it would stay on me at home only. I just dont want a cop to drive down the road and happen to see a pistol under my shirt and take me to jail for carrying on my familty owned property. I'm in the state of INDIANA btw. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

BossHogg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2019
    Lafayette
    Thank you for the reply. I've never got one because I have terrible social anxiety and I honestly dont leave my house or property. I never felt the need to get one to carry since I dont go into public and if I can carry at home and outside on my property without one I'm fine with that. Hopefully someday I beat this and I can get out into public than I will deff be getting a permit to carry. Thanks again for the reply!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You can carry on your property, or the property of another if they give you permission.
    Could be a friend's house, could be a store, etc.

The LTCH (License To Carry Handgun) is for Public Property.

A LOT of gun law is located in Indiana Code 35-47.
    Not all of it though, but a lot of it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Indiana Code 2018 - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

IC 35-47-2-1 Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and sections 2 through 2.1 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;

(B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity; or
    (6) the person is permitted to carry a handgun without a license under section 2.1 of this chapter (persons protected by a protection order).
    (c) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun.
    (d) This section may not be construed:
    (1) to prohibit a person who owns, leases, rents, or otherwise legally controls private property from regulating or prohibiting the possession of firearms on the private property;
    (2) to allow a person to adopt or enforce an ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that:
    (A) prohibits; or
    (B) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle, unless the person's adoption or enforcement of the ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule is allowed under IC 34-28-7-2(b); or
    (3) to allow a person to adopt or enforce a law, statute, ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that allows a person to possess or transport a firearm or ammunition if the person is prohibited from possessing or transporting the firearm or ammunition by state or federal law.
    (e) A person who knowingly or intentionally violates this section commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Level 5 felony:
    (1) if the offense is committed:
    (A) on or in school property;
    (B) within five hundred (500) feet of school property; or
    (C) on a school bus; or
    (2) if the person:
    (A) has a prior conviction of any offense under:
    (i) this section; or
    (ii) section 22 of this chapter; or
    (B) has been convicted of a felony within fifteen (15) years before the date of the offense.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Thank you for the reply. I've never got one because I have terrible social anxiety and I honestly dont leave my house or property. I never felt the need to get one to carry since I dont go into public and if I can carry at home and outside on my property without one I'm fine with that. Hopefully someday I beat this and I can get out into public than I will deff be getting a permit to carry. Thanks again for the reply!

In all sincerity without making a derogatory comment about the OP’s affliction, I was not aware funding for Social Security Disability was available for “social anxiety.”

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Personally, I recommend getting a LTCH for a handgun owner even they have no intention to carry outside the home and only plan on the firearm being a "nightstand gun".

It makes transporting the weapon much less of a hassle when you take it to the range because you arent having to worry about "am I doing this right?"

And if they ever end up in a situation like yours when you really need to have one NOW (domestic violence/divorce for instance) and dont want to have to pray they dont choose to act on their anger in that first several weeks as the victim waits for the ISP to approve it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    For everyone else reading this: Fists can, and do, kill people with regularity. Just because someone doesn't have a weapon doesn't mean they can't somehow cause grievous bodily injury and/or death.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you get one you seriously need to shoot it with some regularity. One of the biggest mistakes new gun owners make is not using them. The gun is not a talisman. It needs to be practiced with.

Unless you do this you will have no idea what to expect if and when you "Have" to use it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If you get one you seriously need to shoot it with some regularity. One of the biggest mistakes new gun owners make is not using them. The gun is not a talisman. It needs to be practiced with.

Unless you do this you will have no idea what to expect if and when you "Have" to use it.

+100. :yesway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Proficiency and marksmanship aside, (not that you actually could put them aside,) the safe handling of firearms really needs to be learned via instruction. The OP's limitations may well prohibit such instruction.

A very close look at whether the OP bringing a handgun into his situation would be actually adding unacceptable risk to himself and others?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Word to the wise, and this is not legal advice, but if I were going to gift a gun to my brother, I would take a close look at 18 U.S.C. 922(d) to make sure I was OK to do so.

And, honestly, assuming everything is legal, in this situation, I, personally, would always conceal IF I were going to carry because this sounds like the beginning of a "Red Flag" investigation if the wrong people see the gun. Ind. Code sec 35-47-14-1, et seq.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

This is true.
    A gun is not a magic talisman.
    You must be aware of your surroundings (pay attention) and regularly practice.
    Now maybe if you have a friend with a private range.
    Otherwise, you have to figure if you can make it to a range. The sounds of a range tend to make people nervous, might be worse for the OP.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

IF only people with a LTCH would take every word you said to heart. Buying a pistol, loading it and dropping it in a holster WITHOUT practice and training makes you more of a danger to yourself than anyone else.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    IF only people with a LTCH would take every word you said to heart. Buying a pistol, loading it and dropping it in a holster WITHOUT practice and training makes you more of a danger to yourself than anyone else.

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Winner.

I am proficient at best. If I hit the range as often as I would like my proficiency goes up with the practice. The exact opposite happens when I do not get to the line enough. It falls off. If enough time passes I actually have to re-address the basics. The spouse was deathly ill last 2 years. I rarely went to shoot. And it really showed when I did pick it back up.

Pick the right gun for you whatever that may be. Have someone that actually knows whats up show you the basics and work with you on them.

200 rounds is no where near enough to be proficient. Those who think is is especially for monetary reasons do not need to own a gun.

Top Bottom