• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just a reminder that rust sneaks up on the best of guns and knives. I'm normally the one it gets, especially with the middle-aged eyes that don't readily catch the tiny rust spots early.

I just gave a quick lube job to my G19 (full of dust bunnies) and Benchmade neck knife. Q-tip lube tool says I may have beat the rust to the frequently sweat drenched G19. Same tool showed brown residue from the lanyard hole of the S30V Hidden Canyon :(.

Ugh, I guess maybe the BUG and truck gun are next...

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yep its that time of year, thanks for the reminder.

On the subject of cleaning and lubing. What are other thoughts on those silicone treated gun socks? Seems like they should help against minor bumps & scrapea from moving guns in/out of the safe etc. Seems I read an article recently that indicated the silicone in those socks could damage the finish on a wood stock. I've never experienced this before and I use them. So has anyone ever had an issue like that?

Years ago my dad used to buy some gun sock type sleeve called a muzzle nuzzle. They are kind of a canvas type bag with a cotton fleece like inside. I have searched high and low for those but just can't find them. Anyone know if they are available somewhere?
    Also if you are trying to get some small surface rust spots off a gun what does everyone use? I've always applied Flitz to the rust spot and then liberally applied Rem oil.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I am in an almost constant rust battle with my front sight and carry mag.

I usually swap carry mags once a year and put them in the range pile.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I fought rust for decades before I finally went titanium.
    Yes, it's more expensive, but there is no comparison.
    I still need to clean, but avoiding rust is MUCH easier these days.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    I would add to this list a monthly field strip especially the firing pin channel.

I carry my SW Shield as a working/sweating gun for things like house work and mowing the lawn etc. I don’t shoot or dry fire it that often but one day after about 2 months of occasional but sweaty carry I decided to do some dry fire work. Cleared the gun and the first trigger pull felt like 10lbs pulling through a grease pit with no click of firing pin.

Turns out the striker spring had rusted to the firing pin channel along with the sweat/rust mixture. I learned that lesson the best way possible rather than if the gun needed to be used to save my life.

Attachments

• ED67EB84-140E-4432-868E-91CE7388BE36.jpg
      ED67EB84-140E-4432-868E-91CE7388BE36.jpg
      89.5 KB · Views: 40

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would add to this list a monthly field strip especially the firing pin channel.

I carry my SW Shield as a working/sweating gun for things like house work and mowing the lawn etc. I don’t shoot or dry fire it that often but one day after about 2 months of occasional but sweaty carry I decided to do some dry fire work. Cleared the gun and the first trigger pull felt like 10lbs pulling through a grease pit with no click of firing pin.

Turns out the striker spring had rusted to the firing pin channel along with the sweat/rust mixture. I learned that lesson the best way possible rather than if the gun needed to be used to save my life.

Wow, I've pulled the strikers before on multiple guns, but can't say I do it religiously. It's pretty easy on many guns (very easy on the 365 for instance), so I should start doing it on a regular based on that picture.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Holy Crap! I have never pulled the firing mechanism on my carry m&p full size. I do shoot it tho. I know they say it is better to break it in and then just carry it, but I like to know that it still works. I have redundant back-ups but I rarely shoot them after break in.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Yep its that time of year, thanks for the reminder.

On the subject of cleaning and lubing. What are other thoughts on those silicone treated gun socks? Seems like they should help against minor bumps & scrapea from moving guns in/out of the safe etc. Seems I read an article recently that indicated the silicone in those socks could damage the finish on a wood stock. I've never experienced this before and I use them. So has anyone ever had an issue like that?

Years ago my dad used to buy some gun sock type sleeve called a muzzle nuzzle. They are kind of a canvas type bag with a cotton fleece like inside. I have searched high and low for those but just can't find them. Anyone know if they are available somewhere?
    Also if you are trying to get some small surface rust spots off a gun what does everyone use? I've always applied Flitz to the rust spot and then liberally applied Rem oil.

I’m a huge fan of bore stores. They are actually dense enough to give real protection unlike the standard gun sock, and they are treated with rust inhibitor. They worked great for me when I lived in TX.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    A dear friend of the family passed a few months ago. On Father's Day, myself, dad and son went to his house and cleaned and oiled his rifles and handguns for his wife. I took some Zerust bags for the rifles. I just went through my safe doing the same.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Silicon won't hurt a wooden stock. Most furniture polishes contain silicon, after all.

The only downside is that if you ever need to repair a cracked stock, the silicon will make it more difficult to fix the finish.

rarobertson33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I am a little anal in this area, clean after each range session, and some times field strip, just to check, clean and oil. I don't recall every having a malfunction or rust at all.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom