• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maddogmech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    I have a Rock Island M1911 A1 CS Tac with extractor/ejection issues. I have disassembled the gun and inspected all the parts, every thing looks as it should. I have tried several types of ammo and magazines.
    Any logical suggestions/recommendations will be considered ? My next course of action is to try the extractor out of my Springfield. Thanks in advance.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Tagged for interest.
    My Rem 308 heavy barrel won't eject if I cycle the bolt too fast. Mag fed from an Archangel stock.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have a Rock Island M1911 A1 CS Tac with extractor/ejection issues. I have disassembled the gun and inspected all the parts, every thing looks as it should. I have tried several types of ammo and magazines.
    Any logical suggestions/recommendations will be considered ? My next course of action is to try the extractor out of my Springfield. Thanks in advance.

I know just enough about 1911s to know that there's a lot of tuning possible. Exactly what issues you are having would probably help some of the knowledgeable folks out in troubleshooting. Is it not extracting the empty brass from the chamber? Not ejecting it after extracting it? Partially ejecting it (stovepipe)? Have you had anyone else try to shoot it to rule out things like limp-wristing/poor grip?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Have Allen M take a look at it.. I'm sure he can sort it out for you. It may be helpful to post a description of the "issue" you are having.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Where are you located? Might just be worth having one of our great gunsmiths on the forum or in the area take a look. AllenM, Havlin's, ZR Tactical, depending on your location. I'm sure any one of the folks I mentioned could get it running and have it running better than it ever has.

As much info as you can provide to someone to assist with reproducing the issue, and troubleshooting is of course helpful.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Please be more specific as to what the gun is actually doing.
    Swapping parts around is not the best idea as ejector/extractors are fit to a specific gun. Not saying it wont work just saying these parts need to be fit to that particular gun. Especially a RI

maddogmech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    My bad guys. Upon extraction the empty case is only half way out, no stove pipe, the case is not even reaching the ejector. The extractor looks to square cut and tuned to hold live round as it should. No limp-wristing here bro !

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My bad guys. Upon extraction the empty case is only half way out, no stove pipe, the case is not even reaching the ejector. The extractor looks to square cut and tuned to hold live round as it should. No limp-wristing here bro !

This is an extractor issue most likely. It is not holding the spent round and pulling it back to the extractor.
    I would put best guess that it needs replaced.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Im located in the Mooresville area.

AllenM is in the Avon area, so pretty close. He has a subforum here under Diamond Collision. I'd save yourself some frustration and contact him and get it looked at. He works wonders with a lot of guns, but 1911's are his specialty for sure.

maddogmech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Thanks for the info Websnyper..... Im going to work on for a bit , then if I don't get no where's I'll give him a call.

maddogmech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    well after doing some filing on the extractor, went back to the range to test it out. After the first mag and the extractor working flawlessly ,Im ready to do backflips. Loaded the second mag and was soon back to let down mode, Jam ! clear the case, fire, jam clear the case, fire, jam. Back to square one.
    Our next plan of attack was to strip the slide of the rock island , remove the extractor. Then we strip the slide of my son's Springfield and remove the extractor. We swapped the extractors to see if that would help. Fired the RI Jam ! cleared, fire , jam.
    My son the loaded up the springfield with the RI extractor in it. Fire fire fire fire fire fire fire fire. No isses
    We then stripped them both back down and put back to original.
    As of now the ammo used in said finicky RI was Remington,Winchester,federal,CCI,and some reloads, all of these were FMJ.
    My son then said try these as he handed his carry loads Remington Gold sabers. The gun ran flawlessly , ok a fluke, second mag of sabers flawlessly and then a third.
    Ok so we found a round that would work, which is ok, but I'm not settling for that.
    Back to the drawing board so to speak.
    Im open for any sane recommendations. I perfer to work on it myself, but really will foobar it before handing over to a "smith"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The sabers are hotter than what you were running in it. Extractors have a critical angle required to allow them to operate properly and the distance between the paw and the breech face is again, critical.

Now, I will say that I am no fan of RIA. They are a dice roll. And swapping parts between 1911's can also be a dice roll. No direct knock on you or the gun. Just been my personal experience with them.

Question, any ideas as to round count.

At this point with out actually seeing your gun it is a bit hard to diagnose this one.

maddogmech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Churchmouse...... I am not a 100% fan of the RIA myself, This is my sons gun and Im just trying to help him sort it out. With that being said the round count is approx. less than 500 rounds.
    I added a little more tension to the RI spring, and tested the spring tension as taught in my early years with an empty and live round case,inspection of the empty case's do not show any signs of extra pressure or excessive pressure on the case as it goes to battery or extraction.

After firing and upon extraction the case only comes half way then the extractor lets go, comes off, or what ever it does.
    I can post pics of the extractor later this eve, you will be able to see the roundness of the claw, reason being I filed it back square.
    Thanks for your input.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Churchmouse...... I am not a 100% fan of the RIA myself, This is my sons gun and Im just trying to help him sort it out. With that being said the round count is approx. less than 500 rounds.
    I added a little more tension to the RI spring, and tested the spring tension as taught in my early years with an empty and live round case,inspection of the empty case's do not show any signs of extra pressure or excessive pressure on the case as it goes to battery or extraction.

After firing and upon extraction the case only comes half way then the extractor lets go, comes off, or what ever it does.
    I can post pics of the extractor later this eve, you will be able to see the roundness of the claw, reason being I filed it back square.
    Thanks for your input.

Yup the extractor is letting go for any number of reasons.
    Sounds like you went through the proper checks.
    Has your son been dropping the slide on a live round in the chamber. Some do this for the extra round at the line or for carry. Makes me cringe as it tears up the extractor. If you look at the one in the springer it will have a notch or relief cut in the bottom of the claw. This allows the next round being stripped off the mag to slip under the claw.

We had this same issue with a gun. Turns out the mag was to deep in the gun and spent rounds were being interfered with as the were leaving the chamber. Sounds crazy but that was the issue.

maddogmech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Im good with the mag interrupting the empty case, but what about trying multiple mags, (McCormick, Wilson,Factory RIA,and a colt.
    I will check them all out again. As far as him carrying a round in the chamber, (NO) he does not, he does not use this piece for his carry, only his springfield he carrys.
    The RIA does have the relief cut into it for the roll.
    Thanks again for your replies.
    Yup the extractor is letting go for any number of reasons.
    Sounds like you went through the proper checks.
    Has your son been dropping the slide on a live round in the chamber. Some do this for the extra round at the line or for carry. Makes me cringe as it tears up the extractor. If you look at the one in the springer it will have a notch or relief cut in the bottom of the claw. This allows the next round being stripped off the mag to slip under the claw.

We had this same issue with a gun. Turns out the mag was to deep in the gun and spent rounds were being interfered with as the were leaving the chamber. Sounds crazy but that was the issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Im good with the mag interrupting the empty case, but what about trying multiple mags, (McCormick, Wilson,Factory RIA,and a colt.
    I will check them all out again. As far as him carrying a round in the chamber, (NO) he does not, he does not use this piece for his carry, only his springfield he carrys.
    The RIA does have the relief cut into it for the roll.
    Thanks again for your replies.

It was not just the one mag. The mag was indexed to high in the gun. Some mags would work and some would not. Once that issue was addressed it was good to go.

Top Bottom