• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I had an interesting discussion this week with a co- worker, I told him that when my son turns 18 I was going to get him concealed carry training, and let him get a LTCH, and help him get a suitable carry gun. My co-worker asks “ where will he carry”? I said any legal place, and if his college campus allows, there too. He was appalled...”what does an 18 yo need to carry a gun......blah blah blah....I said 18 year old carry guns in the military, with the predictable response from him. What do y’all say?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I had an interesting discussion this week with a co- worker, I told him that when my son turns 18 I was going to get him concealed carry training, and let him get a LTCH, and help him get a suitable carry gun. My co-worker asks “ where will he carry”? I said any legal place, and if his college campus allows, there too. He was appalled...”what does an 18 yo need to carry a gun......blah blah blah....I said 18 year old carry guns in the military, with the predictable response from him. What do y’all say?
    An 18 year old carries a gun for the same reason a 54 year old does, a Police Officer is too heavy to carry.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It all depends on how mature the 18 year old is. Training will help some, especially situational training. Probably even a law course too.

One of the biggest problems, I think, that new people who carry is now that they have a gun, they are invincible. The "I'll go that part of town now because I have a gun now" mindset is wrong and dangerous. Getting involved in others business thinking your "helping" just because you have a gun and if anything goes wrong, I'll just shoot my way out, is just as bad. Unfortunately, that was my mindset when I started carrying. Thankfully, nothing happened.

The responsibility of carrying a gun is huge. It is a last resort, not the first option. If your son is mature enough to understand that and make wise decisions, due to proper training and instruction, then carry away. If not then not yet.

Just my 2¢.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Undergrad college student here, not much older than your son. I carry on campus. I think your son should too. When I'm sitting in a lecture hall with 200 people in a supposedly gun-free zone, I just hope someone else is carrying as well. Fish in a barrel, especially considering the design of the lecture halls, with the main entrance generally looking down on all the seats.

I would rather be expelled but alive, than compliant but dead.

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I've been carrying since 18. Including at my alma mater where it is against the rules. Remember it is not illegal to carry a firearm on a college campus in Indiana. The school may punish and even expelled you, but it is not illegal.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't know your son OP. He very well may be mature enough to carry at 18. Me at 18? No way in hell. I like most 18 years olds was out trying to "out stupid" the next guy. It's a lot of responsibility that most kids that age can't handle, when left to their own devices.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When I was 18, I had a LTCH but only occasionally carried. It really just depended on where I was going and who I was going to be with (in large part). I had a few friends who had a little too much influence and I often found myself places I normally wouldn't go. With those friends, I very rarely carried. Luckily I/we never got into any real trouble. I had a lot of focus on fast cars and women...not always in that order.
    Now at 40, with kids that will be 21 and 19 (in two weeks and in a month) I have had several discussions with both of them on this issue.
    My boy (about to be 21), just doesn't have enough maturity to carry a gun plain and simple.
    My daughter on the other hand is 18 and very mature for her age. She has taken the steps to get her LTCH. However she doesn't want to carry until she gets some formal training with an instructor that isn't dad or grandpa. I respect her decision

Everyone is different so it really has to be an individual decision. Obviously carrying a gun isn't for everyone, regardless of age. Owning or carrying a gun carries a lot of responsibility with it. Maturity, decision making and training training training. And then being wise to avoid bad situations whenever possible.
    Good luck OP. Also, IF your young adult kids are going to carry please make sure to help them steer clear of bad equipment choices (such as floppydick holsters like uncle mikes etc).

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

If it is legal and he is able; ok. My personal stance is "maybe". It takes allot of responsibility and just because one turns of age, does not mean they are ready to handle life and death situations. The military is a controlled environment and the real world is not. Military "is" controlled, walking the streets or sitting in a classroom is not controlled. Just because I turned 16 means I should drive.

They want to lower the voting ages in many states and many are against it. Why? In many eyes voting legally at that younger age is like handing the youngins a loaded gun.

I know very immature 18 year olds......I also know many that fir the category of immature at various other ages; such older ages. Depends on the person.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    My daughter when she turns 18 will be getting her license to carry and will be getting to go thru safe and pick what gun she wants and if I don't have one she likes I will make sure she gets what she wants.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As many have said it is all dependent on your son and his level of maturity.
    Me at 18.....no freaking way. Just no. Thank the deity of your choice for fast cars and fast woman. Even those things were problematic.

That you will start out with training etc is a positive step. Most parents/individuals do not take this path.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    As many have said it is all dependent on your son and his level of maturity.
    Me at 18.....no freaking way. Just no. Thank the deity of your choice for fast cars and fast woman. Even those things were problematic.

That you will start out with training etc is a positive step. Most parents/individuals do not take this path.

I'm echoing your sentiments again CM, hope you don't mind?
    I asked for opinions from trainers on INGO about a year ago concerning the percentage of people carrying daily that had ANY type of CCW training. My feeling was 20% or less ( I try to be optimistic). Every response I received put the number at 5% or less.
    It's a huge responsibility so carrying without training and knowledge is playing with fire. Three things you should think about before taking on the responsibility of defending yourself or others.
    There is a possibility you will be forced to take a life, are you emotionally prepared for that?
    Do you believe you are practiced and accurate enough to avoid collateral damage in a self defense situation?
    Do you have some idea of WHEN it is lawful ( in Indiana) to use deadly force?

With your freedom and the lives of others in the balance you're being reckless if you don't arm yourself with knowledge and training as well as a pistol for your daily outing.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have 2 sons that started carrying when they were 18, neither had any issues at all, and were trained and "educated" by me about the responsibilities prior to carrying. Both had extensive target shooting experience and firearm handling experience with me.

I was "taught" about firearms starting in the early 1950's by my BIL, a decorated Sargent that had served in the Army until getting shot in one of the Island invasions. He carried a 30 cal bullet next to his heart until his death.

I never went to a formal training school nor did my sons. One is now 50 the other nearing that (he and I have been collecting firearms for well over 25 years). Both they and I still carry.

At 18 a young man can purchase a firearm from an individual in Indiana, he can also obtain his LTCH on his own. As this is the case, if he wants to carry he does not "need" permission!

However I do understand there are some who are not mature enough to not abuse the right and should be encouraged to wait. Again all that can be done is to help train or have training available to them if they insist!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Thanks to all who responded, my son has been shooting since he was 7, had been to 2 Appleseeds, is in the National Honor Society, AFROTC, and an all around good kid, I would never consider it if I didn’t think he wasn’t mature enough, still too soon to decide for certain, but leaning to yes.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, what is the proper age that everyone thinks is good to go for exercising your right to carry without even thinking twice once you hear it? If the thread had been "32 year old carrying", would the replies be different?

I think it's more along of maturity, not questioning if an 18 year old has the right to do it.

Someone made a reference to vehicles earlier. I think that is a good example. If you could afford it, and your 16 year son wanted one, would you buy them a supercharged vette? I can tell you, and most of the guys I went to school with, we'd be running that car into the ground, and probably be in pieces all over South Alabama. Would I be justified in having that car? Absolutely. Would I have been mature enough to handle it? Absolutely not.

Like was mentioned earlier, some 18 years absolutely have the maturity to carry, but IMHO the VAST majority don't.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Maturity and responsibility are character traits that can appear, or disappear, at just about any age.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Ask your coworker if he would rather your 18 year old legally buy a rifle and sling it over his back and carry it around... LEGALLY, or if he would rather him get a LTCH, you buy him a handgun, and him carry it concealed without anybody knowing?

I had had a gun cabinet in my room when I was in high school. It was full of my hunting guns (20 ga, .22, and muzzleloader) dad got me, but it never crossed my mind to grab them at any point other than target shooting or hunting. After I turned 18 I rushed to dicks (I know I know, but they were different 13 years ago) and bought a new shotgun, my first gun purchase :rockwoot:

Only advice I have, nobody knows your child like you do. He’s old enough to join the military, buy a house, buy a rifle, etc. Dont worry about whether or not someone else believes you should get him a carry gun, do what your gut tells you. They don’t have to deal with the loss if something were to happen and you took their advice and didn’t get him one.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So, what is the proper age that everyone thinks is good to go for exercising your right to carry without even thinking twice once you hear it? If the thread had been "32 year old carrying", would the replies be different?

I don't think age is an appropriate means for determining if a person is ready to carry a gun. It has more to do with individual maturity and self control.
    I have told several adults who have expressed interest in carrying a gun this same thing. Owning a gun and carrying a gun are two different things. Carrying takes serious consideration and may envolve life or death decisions that can carry life long consequences. Get training and practice if you are going to carry

Top Bottom