• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We headed to the range this afternoon for some rimfire fun. My son, who is 8 1/2, loves to shoot 22 rifles. I brought my 10/22 but also wanted him to try my new to me M&P 22 full size. The only other pistol he's ever shot was a Heritage single action. And that was about 12 rounds.

So after some instruction on operation of the pistol, proper grip and sight alignment, I loaded one in the mag and let him give it a shot. After doing this a few times we moved up to 2 rounds per mag. His smile kept getting bigger. Reminders of body position seemed to be common, as he wanted to lean back. But after a while, this is what I was dealing with....

[video=youtube_share;NXX1nveIDA8]http://youtu.be/NXX1nveIDA8[/video]

He had a blast. He couldn't load the 12 round mags quick enough. He's hooked. I see steel challenge in his future. Good thing ammo is cheap and that S&W ate everything we fed it without a hiccup.

My daughter was with me too. She loves that Heritage with .22 shorts.

QXDfOyr.jpg

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    That's awesome! My 17 yr old stepson has always enjoyed shooting, but has taken more interest here lately. Getting him involved in helping build an AR, then shooting, really set the hook. I still have to remind him about stance as well. He also likes to lean back when shooting handguns. He does pretty good with long guns though.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That's great. It's so nice to see kids getting interested in shooting. Glad they have someone to show them. Good on you.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    So cool your teaching him now. Great life lessons are so important especially for our youth these days.
    Good form and stance as well.
    You're a great Dad Bigtanker !

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Excellent! My daughter is doing 4H shooting sports this year, they did exploding targets at the range last week and she was nailing it. I do have a hard time keeping my mug shut and just letting the guys who are there run the range (I do keep a close eye on them though).

:draw: :rockwoot: range days!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I picked up a bunch of holsters and one of the cheap Uncle Mike's fit the M&P decent enough. I grabbed an old leather belt from my skinny days, put a few new holes in it and trimmed about a foot or so off of it. We tried it on at home and he liked it. So while we are at his grandma & grandpa's house today, he wore it for about an hour and a half. (No mag and not loaded). He did pretty good for a 50 pound, 8 1/2 year old. He wasn't messing with it or trying to take it out. It was just there. He even rode the horses grandpa bought him and his sister with it on for a while.
    With a proper rig, I can see him doing this pretty easy. Maybe even some competitions.

Yeah, it's a little big, but I was a proud dad.

r5UXCP9.jpg

Top Bottom