• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    My wife has been wanting to get a gun for herself for for some time now. We recently got her carry license, and she's excited to purchase her first carry gun.

Wanting to make sure we find the right gun for her, and not the one that I think is the best... We decided to go to the range a couple of times and rent a bunch of firearms in different calibers and see what she felt most comfortable with. She wants a smaller, single stack handgun that she could easily conceal. We started on revolvers. Rented a S&W 642 and a charter arms bulldog. She decided quickly that she didn't like the double action pull, and wanted a semi-auto.

Moved over to .380 and shot a S&W Bodyguard and LCP. She decided quickly again that she wanted something with a bigger frame than the pocket guns. We then moved over to the Glock 42, Sig 238 and the Walther PK380. She liked the Walther and Glock the best, but liked the smaller size of the Glock 42 over the Walther.

Moving to .9mm we shot the Glock 43, S&W Shield, Glock 26 and Sig 365. She did not like the Sig, and she felt the recoil was more than on the others. She did not like the Glock 26, because the grip was too fat for her hands. So she narrowed her choices down to the Glock 43/42 and the Shield. Easy enough, both good choices.

Fast forward to this weekend, she saw some videos on the Walther PPS and Walther CCP. We went into Gander so she could check them out to hold and play with, and she has decided that she wants a PPS, and possible the CCP. Without firing one, she decided by the feel of the gun, and the trigger pull that one of those is the one for her. Now we just need to find a range that has a PPS or CCP to rent so that we can compare that, and settle on one of the two.

Anyone know of a range that has one for rent?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    You might try Parabellum in Avon or Point Blank in Greenwood but call and check. Also keep in mind it is possible to shoot almost anything in the "used" case.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just my .02, my wife started with a PPS. Within 3 months we replaced it. We both found it felt snappier than other choices.

Definitely rent one or find somewhere to shoot one first. Run a full box through it.

Point Blank in Carmel had one for rent.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Fast forward to this weekend, she saw some videos on the Walther...

Was she watching James Bond? My wife was interested in a Walther until she held one in her hand and did not care for it.

f8dc7b49e97aa3c15a9d18e20454c0c4.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Keep an eye out for INGO Meet & Shoots in your area.
    Most people are happy to let you try a gun out. Not all, but most.
    Especially if you bring ammo.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I we can work out a time that works for both of us, I would be happy to meet you at Point Blank Greenwood and she can try one of my Walther CCP's. They are first gen models, but the only difference is the take down on on the gen 2 is much easier.
    This is the latest results on the "Ladies Pistol Project" that rates the CCP #8. https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/4/8/right-for-you-ladies-pistol-project-3-results/

I would most certainly be interested in doing that. I currently live on the North side of Indy, but we could work something out. We would prefer the M2 simply for the ease of taking it apart. I've seen videos, and read that the first model is difficult to take out, and for her first carry gun, it might be better for her to learn to clean on an easier gun to take apart.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. I talked to the Walther reps at NRAAM and they indicated there MAY be an upgrade coming for the first models.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    If you'd like and can get down south enough, I also have a smorgasboard from searching for things my wife likes. including but not limited to:

-Beretta 84/85: looks like a 92 at 80% scale. recoils a bit stout for .380 though. My wife managed to bite her hand between the breech and barrel due to the open top and didn't like it therafter. also kinda pricey. (actually, don't have this one anymore)
    -Chiappa/Zenith MC14: is a licensed knockoff of the Beretta 84. Actually a pretty decent gun.
    -CZ83: (also the 82 if you like 9mm Makarov ammo) basically the same as the beretta but CZ. little smaller, much softer shooting.
    -Taurus G2c: and that whole family really. if you can get over your pride, test it thoroughly, and tweak the trigger, it's comfortable to hold and not too stout even though it's a 9mm
    -Remington R51: gen1 gave it a bad rep gen 2 is about 95%. again, try it out they tend to be love/hate. takedown's worse than the CCP though. not difficult but takes strength and 3 hands

-I also have a CCP and it's VERY comfortable to shoot, there are just some inherent design issues (striker not cocked till the last 1/8" of travel) not to mention QC. At least the 1st gens can have VERY gritty, notchy triggers and there isn't much to do about it. DO NOT BUY ONE YOU DON'T HAVE THE CHANCE TO SHOOT.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    UPDATE: We went to Tims over in Westfield, and rented a Glock 43, and a PPS M2. Shot 50 rounds from the Glock 43, and 100 rounds from the PPS.

The PPS is the winner. My wife liked the trigger pull better on the PPS. She also like the ergonomics of the PPS better than the Glock, and she also felt that she could handle the recoil better in the PPS. Now on to purchasing!

Top Bottom