Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wcd View Post
    Indeed I started to type a response and deleted it. Not worth the effort.
    So why did you respond?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
    I'm picturing you curbstomping yourself, ala Fight Club. All while yelling, "don't worry ma'am, he'll leave you alone after this."
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you want a real vintage denim hat, you'll probably have to push a hipster off his fixed gear bicycle and, while he's collecting his PBR cans, grab it off his head and run.

User Info Menu

Was on a firearms review website the other day, and they were promoting some specific brand of targets with graphics of human organs and a KILL ZONE area of the target. Seems like that has bad idea written all over it? Seriously I can not imagine how these would not have unintended consequences if it ever came up. Like yes your honor I train regularly, what kind of targets do you use? Well I use kill zone targets! Seems like somebody did not think this through? As far as I could tell they were not novelty targets.

I wasn't going to post on this thread but couldn't resist. That's the neat thing about being a grumpy old retired man is that can say how it is. Ingo can bring some enlighting ideas to front. These targets are just another way that some Death Merchant preys upon shooters pocket books. The notion that anyone with the very best of skill set should or could control his shot placement with such precision is pure hogwash. Imagine, SWAB finds himself in self defense situation. His hand reaches toward his Fobus as he is planning his presentation. Since the Death Merchant has enabled the SWAB that there is plenty of time in this action, SWAB starts scouting where the internal organs are on this perp. Maybe there is enough time to hack the perps medical records to maybe go for the kidney as his last blood test indicated a weakness. Or perhaps the perp has a pacemaker that the SWAB can surgically remove it with a 147GR projectile and preserve the perps organs to be rewarded to the next one on the Donor list? Now back to the Defensive Action. While the SWAB is trying to make his presentation and crapping his pants, the imitation carhartt that is covering up the organ picture is causing some confusion. Darn he says, I wish I had Superman XRay vision!

I am not sure what happened to the real world, but it seems to me that instead of chasing this rainbow of a false sense of security we concentrate on conventional targets and lots of practice with the right fundamentals and if God Forbid you are in a shooting action, your Conditioned Response will favor your side.

Precision Targets (Bullseye)
    COM Targets (Cardboard)
    Reactive Targets (Steel)

Fundamentals

Practice

Carry Well
    "See you on the Range"

User Info Menu

Most people suck at thinking.
    Most people suck in action.
    Most people suck at shooting.

But not everybody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper Jim View Post
    I wasn't going to post on this thread but couldn't resist. That's the neat thing about being a grumpy old retired man is that can say how it is. Ingo can bring some enlighting ideas to front. These targets are just another way that some Death Merchant preys upon shooters pocket books. The notion that anyone with the very best of skill set should or could control his shot placement with such precision is pure hogwash. Imagine, SWAB finds himself in self defense situation. His hand reaches toward his Fobus as he is planning his presentation. Since the Death Merchant has enabled the SWAB that there is plenty of time in this action, SWAB starts scouting where the internal organs are on this perp. Maybe there is enough time to hack the perps medical records to maybe go for the kidney as his last blood test indicated a weakness. Or perhaps the perp has a pacemaker that the SWAB can surgically remove it with a 147GR projectile and preserve the perps organs to be rewarded to the next one on the Donor list? Now back to the Defensive Action. While the SWAB is trying to make his presentation and crapping his pants, the imitation carhartt that is covering up the organ picture is causing some confusion. Darn he says, I wish I had Superman XRay vision!

I am not sure what happened to the real world, but it seems to me that instead of chasing this rainbow of a false sense of security we concentrate on conventional targets and lots of practice with the right fundamentals and if God Forbid you are in a shooting action, your Conditioned Response will favor your side.

COM Targets (Cardboard)
    Reactive Targets (Steel)

Fundamentals

Practice

Carry Well

I submit that the "detail" of those targets are primarily used in legitimate training for familiarization with anatomy as well as assessment of hits after a drill. Consider the targets that Kyle Lamb uses. On one side, you can see the silhouette from most distances, but you can't really discern the details of the cartoon anatomy unless you're pretty close. I'm not inside his head, but were I using that target, the boxes on the silhouette would be my guides for shot placement (much like the gross external features of someone attacking you while wearing clothing might) and the diagram would help me evaluate my work after I was done.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

COM Targets (Cardboard)
    Reactive Targets (Steel)

Fundamentals

Practice

Carry Well
    It's about knowing where to shoot quickly. It doesn't matter if you can pick an ant off a log at 30 paces, if you don't know where to hit to stop a target effectively and quickly. your going to get stabbed when they charge you after you focus on the fundamentals of target shooting. Defensive shooting is a whole other ball game.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ggreen View Post
    Anyone carrying should practice killshots. I see no problem here. We don't carry for spur of the moment uspsa matches or impromptu saloon room gun twirling. we carry to kill stop a threat.
    FIFY - subtle but important difference, in my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tench Coxe
    Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blakstone
    It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Precisely applied force is just that. Applied precisely, matters not what you practice on. What matters is that you hit where you aim. If I can hit a bottlecap at 100 yds, imagining that bottlecap on a perps chest or head gets the desired result.
    Agreed 100%. The problem the target purports to solve, however, is not your precision, but imagining that bottlecap in the appropriate location on the perp's head or chest.

If I had to guess, you're good to go, but I could see where folks could benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tench Coxe
    Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blakstone
    It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Concord View Post
    FIFY - subtle but important difference, in my mind.
    If I'm pulling a trigger on a living being, I'm going for a kill period. At the point that an event has escalated to gunplay death is the only acceptable level of stop.

User Info Menu

COM Targets (Cardboard)
    Reactive Targets (Steel)

Fundamentals

Practice

Carry Well
    You forgot hard wood and blued steel, no more than one shot every _ seconds, not drawing from your holster?

RND
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Was on a firearms review website the other day, and they were promoting some specific brand of targets with graphics of human organs and a KILL ZONE area of the target. Seems like that has bad idea written all over it? Seriously I can not imagine how these would not have unintended consequences if it ever came up. Like yes your honor I train regularly, what kind of targets do you use? Well I use kill zone targets! Seems like somebody did not think this through? As far as I could tell they were not novelty targets.

Speaking of thinking, you are OVER-
    thinking.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast