Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    atf-folded-brace_redacted_page_1.png

From the article..
    A number of individuals have been building AR pistols or other similar pistols that have utilized a stabilizing brace. Some have opted to add a vertical foregrip. However, based on this interpretation, those people may find that they have manufactured an “AOW”, which is subject to the restrictions of the National Firearms Act (“NFA”).

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I did not know there were maximum length requirements for pistols with braces. Leaving aside the whole AOW thing, can someone tell me what is the maximum length permitted?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think the issue is the vertical foregrip added to the pistol, not necessarily the brace. I'd like to see the other pages of the letter. The link wasn't exactly clear what this changes.

ETA:
    Oops, found the second page, and it wasn't much help.

Importantly, this letter was apparently unsolicited. That is, the ATF felt like sending an answer without being asked a question.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I did not know there were maximum length requirements for pistols with braces. Leaving aside the whole AOW thing, can someone tell me what is the maximum length permitted?

Nothing to worry about as a pistol. Now putting a vfg on makes a firearm if over 26" oal. You cannot measure your brace if it extends. You cannot conceal with a vfg because it becomes aow.

Basically braces still good to go. Be careful if you're playing with a vertical foregrip. You cannot count any part of your brace in your oal to get to 26". If you were measuring your extended brace to get your 26 to use your vfg, stop using the vfg and burn the pictures.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    This seems overly confusing. Following and hoping others weigh in...

Handguns are meant to be fired with one hand, so they can't have two vertical grips.

Long guns must be at least 26" long. Firearms that are meant to be shouldered but are less than 26" long are either SBR or SBS.

So if you have a AR that is (1) not meant to be shouldered, and (2) meant to be fired with one hand, then you have an AR pistol (regardless of length).

If your AR has two grips, is not meant to be shouldered, but is less than 26" in length, then it is an AOW.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I thought the vertical foregrips had always been verboten on a pistol. That was why we had to use the angled ones shown in worddoers link.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I thought the vertical foregrips had always been verboten on a pistol. That was why we had to use the angled ones shown in worddoers link.

They were. There are no changes in this letter. It is simply providing info on how the ATF measures OAL of the firearm.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    They were. There are no changes in this letter. It is simply providing info on how the ATF measures OAL of the firearm.

The change is that extended braces were used to determine oal. Not anymore. On other guns like scorpions that have a folding brace, and can operate folded the oal is measured folded rather than deployed.

Top Bottom