• ...and so much more!
  • woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    From WDRB:

- Residents of Louisville and southern Indiana who heard a loud boom on Wednesday night can stop wondering what it was, now that authorities say they've identified the cause.Several area residents called law enforcement authorities and news outlets Wednesday night and Thursday, trying to identify the cause of the window-rattling sound that was heard throughout the area.
    According to Floyd County Sheriff Frank Loop, the sound originated from an explosion on private property on Five Mile Road, near State Road 111.

Loop said someone was experimenting with Tannerite -- an explosive that is typically detonated by gunshot. Shooting enthusiasts often build targets containing Tannerite so they will explode when hit by a rifle shot.
    Loop said someone collected the Tannerite and fired a gunshot into it as part of a fireworks display. The explosion resulted in a loud boom that reverberated for miles, and left behind a large crater. It also shattered windows, both on the property where the explosion took place, as well as at a nearby home, Loop said.

Police agencies in Floyd County, Ind., and Louisville received numerous reports of the boom from residents in southwest Jefferson County -- including the Pleasure Ridge Park and Valley Station neighborhoods. Several people also called the WDRB Newsroom and posted to our Facebook page to find out what it was.

MetroSafe dispatchers received enough calls to issue a statement to media outlets Wednesday night indicating that they were unable to identify the source of the sound.

Loop says deputies called to the scene found no crime was committed, because it's legal to own and use Tannerite, and any property damage should be handled by the property owners.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Back up the tri-axle and dump it right there...the new Hoosier way of saying "here, hold my beer and watch this". :laugh:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    LOL.
    *******s call on people shooting guns too. Mind your own damn business people. Torries On july 4th no less.

And no it wasn't me, but I did shoot my cannon yesterday. No cops showed up. If they would have I would have offered them some soda and a chance to shoot my cannon!!

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I once had two containers of tannerite too close to each other, and when I shot the first one the shockwave detonated the second container. I've always tought it would be a hoot (AND a great video) to line up ten or twenty containers of it and shoot just the end container causing a chain reaction detonation.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I once had two containers of tannerite too close to each other, and when I shot the first one the shockwave detonated the second container. I've always tought it would be a hoot (AND a great video) to line up ten or twenty containers of it and shoot just the end container causing a chain reaction detonation.
    I've seen people fill up plastic pipe and shoot the end and the explosion travels down the pipe, but there is a limit to the length, probably based on the diameter of pipe and depth of pocketbook.
    All I had to hear years ago was that one quart of gasoline, vaporized, is equivalent to 5 sticks of dynamite. Milk jugs are really thin wall and no match sitting on top of a container. Add a flame source about 5 feet up...
    fullsizeoutput_52d.jpeg

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    When dealing with gasoline or petroleum based explosives devices remember the basics!

1. Container

2. Fuel

2. Bursting and dispersion charge

3. Ignition charge

3. Ignition source

3. Fuel mix 60 % gas 40 % oil or straight gas with 164 ounces of thickening agent (Tide laundry detergent) for 55 gallons.

Minimum safe distance for 1 to 2 pound charge 300 meters

Vertical mine about 50 to 80 meters circle effect

Horizontal mine 80 meter directional effect

Fogasse mine 150 to 200 meter effect

I better shut up before I get a knock on the door!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Was once told by a fellow who had worked with the Montagnards that a 12 gauge slug would set off a can of gasoline. I never wanted to try it though (or know what they'd done with it).

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    IIRC, 50 pounds is the Federal limit of bionary (tannerite) that you can set off without some sort of license.

Here demo ranch uses 50 lbs to blow up a car.

[video=youtube_share;Wz4NHho47iI]http://youtu.be/Wz4NHho47iI[/video]

Here is 200 lbs.

[video=youtube_share;99w08bYL6yc]http://youtu.be/99w08bYL6yc[/video]

Seeing that makes me wonder how much our Hoosier boys used.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Having came close the killing myself and others with explosives on numerous occasions since the tender age of 17 I feel qualified to give a few nuggets of advice.

1. Be very wary of trees especially dead ones. I used 1/4 block of C4 in a hollow dead tree backed off about 100 meters. The tree exploded into about 10,000 pieces embedding pieces about 6 inches into other trees all around us.
    I would now just use Det cord and cut it.

2. Small parts of vehicle explosions can carry much father that you would expect. I witnessed a brake drum fly about 500 meters and smash into a car in the range parking lot.
    I was not at fault and not in charge thank god!

BTW
    I was paid to blow crap up from time to time and was “trained” it was still dangerous.

Be sure to have a reasonable MSD before you play with the devil’s powder!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9USKP0f2o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DjlOEhUr4Ys

https://5newsonline.com/2015/02/08/explosion-in-sequoyah-county-injures-two-people/

https://lacrossetribune.com/news/lo...cle_fab52c9e-d7c8-11e2-baa7-0019bb2963f4.html

https://www.newsflare.com/video/6791/other/tannerite-microwave-close-call

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    This guy was standing a little too close when he lit off the tannerite. Truck door almost nailed him.

giphy.gif

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've seen people fill up plastic pipe and shoot the end and the explosion travels down the pipe, but there is a limit to the length, probably based on the diameter of pipe and depth of pocketbook.
    All I had to hear years ago was that one quart of gasoline, vaporized, is equivalent to 5 sticks of dynamite. Milk jugs are really thin wall and no match sitting on top of a container. Add a flame source about 5 feet up...
    View attachment 78261

Fuel-Air explosives are way, way more powerful than tannerite or anfo. The "MOAB" is a fuel-air bomb (compressed propane and air I think). People that get their shorts in a twist over guns have no idea what can be done with an oxy-acetylene torch rig.

I once shot a two of the small bottles of tannerite in a 20 yard pistol bay (I was outside of the bay and behind my truck). The backstop and sideberms reflected the pressure wave in my direction and the results were . . . impressive. Not a smart thing to do, but . . . reasons.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Fuel-Air explosives are way, way more powerful than tannerite or anfo. The "MOAB" is a fuel-air bomb (compressed propane and air I think). People that get their shorts in a twist over guns have no idea what can be done with an oxy-acetylene torch rig.

I once shot a two of the small bottles of tannerite in a 20 yard pistol bay (I was outside of the bay and behind my truck). The backstop and sideberms reflected the pressure wave in my direction and the results were . . . impressive. Not a smart thing to do, but . . . reasons.
    I once had a summer job working at a place that used CNC torches to cut plate steel. It used propane instead of acetylene, but a trash bag filled with a propane/oxygen mix made quite a boom when thrown in the burn pit.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I once had a summer job working at a place that used CNC torches to cut plate steel. It used propane instead of acetylene, but a trash bag filled with a propane/oxygen mix made quite a boom when thrown in the burn pit.

And that's just at atmospheric pressure! Compress it before ignition and you'll the satisfying, Earth-shattering kaboom that Marvin the Martian is always expecting.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

I have been told a weather balloon filled with acetylene and helium with a fuse will wake up the feds.... :):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom