• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just read the other day that Magnum Research has developed the new .429 magnum.
    At present, it is only available in the venerable Desert Eagle platform.
    It is a .429 projectile in a necked-down .50AE case.

Seems like an interesting idea, but I wonder a bout the utility.
    I have an older Desert Eagle in .44mag with a 6" barrel.
    From sandbags on a bench I was able to score 3" groups at 100 yards. This was just playing around using factory ammo.

With the extra case capacity I would imagine one could bump up the speed quite a bit over the .44mag, but I'm no ballistics expert.
    I didn't even stay at a Holidy Inn last night.

I would be interested in hearing what other Ingoer's have to think about this new offering.
    At $2300 I doubt I'll get one anytime soon, but...who knows what tomorrow will bring.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    For the life of me, I can't think of a practical use for a Desert Eagle and to add a wildcat cartridge into the mix, makes it even less so.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Their version of the .440 Cor-Bon

Sounds like a .44magnun magnum w no rim.

Not like DE dont run reg 44 mag.....but with the platform being big enough for this "new" cartridge,.......why not?

Smaller frontal area should help penetration. Heavier bullets gobble case capacity....maybe the bigger case allows for heavier w less performance loss compared to reg .44 mag?

Think itd be cool to run a DE deer hunting.

Life is short. Have some fun.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Just have to see how it works out, you can only get so much velocity out of a 6 inch barrel. When the .357 De arrived in the early 80s some of us Automag guys were loading regular .357 up very high.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    For the life of me, I can't think of a practical use for a Desert Eagle and to add a wildcat cartridge into the mix, makes it even less so.

True story...

I'm in L.A. for a wedding....For some reason hillbillies and Jews tend to gravitate to each other in these situations....At the reception party myself and five Jewish guys who were part of the wedding party began sipping from a bottle of Kentucky's finest...Although they were all American all but one had served with the IDF in one capacity or another...I was getting ready to open the shop so they knew I was a "gun guy" and we began talking firearms...They were impressed with my knowledge of recent Jewish history...One of them shared stories of his dad in the Seven Days war....As the liquor flowed I noticed one of them was wanting to ask me a question but was trying to get his nerve up...After a little more bourbon he finally blurted out,

"Geary can I ask you something and please don't get offended?"

"Sure man...I think we have already determined tonight that Jews and hillbillies don't get offended.." with a chuckle....

"Every guy I was in barracks with, I mean every guy...We know of not ONE Jew that has a Desert Eagle or would even own one...It's the most useless handgun ever..Too big, too heavy, unwieldy etc yet they sell like hotcakes in America...Why? What is their use?"

So I told him many people handgun hunt and that is one of the few semi auto handguns you can hunt with...Weight and size don't matter because you are sitting in a stand...Plus hillbillies just like big, honking guns sometimes.......

He nodded and said he understands now.....

It was a pretty funny conversation...Great guys as well....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    .44 mag DE.....tames the magnum.

Have not shot a .50.
    Have no interest in one.

The .429 DE.......maybe.

I just shoot deer. Have used . 44 mag wheel guns.
    Have shot DE in .357 and .44

They're fun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    True story...

I'm in L.A. for a wedding....For some reason hillbillies and Jews tend to gravitate to each other in these situations....At the reception party myself and five Jewish guys who were part of the wedding party began sipping from a bottle of Kentucky's finest...Although they were all American all but one had served with the IDF in one capacity or another...I was getting ready to open the shop so they knew I was a "gun guy" and we began talking firearms...They were impressed with my knowledge of recent Jewish history...One of them shared stories of his dad in the Seven Days war....As the liquor flowed I noticed one of them was wanting to ask me a question but was trying to get his nerve up...After a little more bourbon he finally blurted out,

"Geary can I ask you something and please don't get offended?"

"Sure man...I think we have already determined tonight that Jews and hillbillies don't get offended.." with a chuckle....

"Every guy I was in barracks with, I mean every guy...We know of not ONE Jew that has a Desert Eagle or would even own one...It's the most useless handgun ever..Too big, too heavy, unwieldy etc yet they sell like hotcakes in America...Why? What is their use?"

So I told him many people handgun hunt and that is one of the few semi auto handguns you can hunt with...Weight and size don't matter because you are sitting in a stand...Plus hillbillies just like big, honking guns sometimes.......

He nodded and said he understands now.....

It was a pretty funny conversation...Great guys as well....

Maybe they avoided them due to cost LOL

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Yep just another death merchant trying to cash in on SWABS. As chief DanGeorge said in Josie Wales you drink it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Yep

Let's not start arguing that every gun has to have a practical use.
    If you want one...whatever floats your boat. Not for me. Since I don't handgun hunt any longer and have retired from formal handgun competition, the vast majority of my handguns (besides my EDC) have little or no practical use anymore for me personally.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The rimless and bottlenecked design should alleviate some of the areas for some failures to feed with DEs. The rims and long, straight walled cartridges (plus magazines that have to be SO well tuned to ensure that the round doesn't nose dive into the frame) make it more likely for jams to occur. The reason I sold my .357 was because of that issue and while I got it to finally run well, I didn't see the reason to keep it around when I had revolvers that came close to capacity but without expensive magazines. Soaked up recoil though..

I'd be interested to see the differences in water capacity between .44 Mag and .429 DE.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have less than zero need for a DE. Especially a DE in .429 Magnum. But I for damned sure want one.

I'd also like the conversion kits for all offered calibers. I mean, why not?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hey, if people buy revolving handheld .410 shotguns, just about anything that fires a round probably has a place somewhere.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    They were quite the rage for a while. We would fill the case with Blue Dot, pack it down with a pencil eraser then add the rest of the charge. Compressed a 125 grain bullet on top of that.

Top Bottom