Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Random thought on ammo.

So I'm driving the other day, enjoying this heat, and had a thought pop in my head (I get some strange thoughts). Could ammo stored in a car explode due to the build up of heat in the summer? Will a car get hot enough to do that?

User Info Menu

No
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

User Info Menu

Only if there's some kind of light focusing device in the way.

This heat/light can, will, and does deform thermoplastic holsters, however. Need to be aware of that fact.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

ACC
    Expert

User Info Menu

I had that thought recently as well. Then I thought about all the military guys driving around the middle eastern deserts of the world in tanks with thousands of rounds inside and figures my 200 rounds of 9mm in the backseat were probably OK.

User Info Menu

No.

Had a guy tell me that he couldn't keep a gun in his trunk because the ammo would explode in the summer heat.

I showed him what I keep in my trunk.

Ammunition is shipped in semi trailers. Semi trailers get very hot in the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
    I'm picturing you curbstomping yourself, ala Fight Club. All while yelling, "don't worry ma'am, he'll leave you alone after this."
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you want a real vintage denim hat, you'll probably have to push a hipster off his fixed gear bicycle and, while he's collecting his PBR cans, grab it off his head and run.

User Info Menu

I think MythBusters did an episode where they put ammo in an oven to try and cook it off. The temps were way higher than would be seen in a car, even in summer heat. I think some rounds went off, but without a barrel for the projectile to go down with pressure behind it, the "explosions" would be relatively harmless.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    I think MythBusters did an episode where they put ammo in an oven to try and cook it off. The temps were way higher than would be seen in a car, even in summer heat. I think some rounds went off, but without a barrel for the projectile to go down with pressure behind it, the "explosions" would be relatively harmless.
    I remember that episode. The myth was that someone had stored a gun and some ammo in an oven, then the oven got turned on. IIRC the temp inside was north of 400*f before anything happened.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

Plinker

User Info Menu

Untrue. I personally know someone who was injured (pretty badly I might add) by a round thrown into a fire. Shouldn't have been too bad based on what I've heard, but from what I saw, BAD! Be careful! Our hobby/lifestyle/interest is no joke!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edwea View Post
    Untrue. I personally know someone who was injured (pretty badly I might add) by a round thrown into a fire. Shouldn't have been too bad based on what I've heard, but from what I saw, BAD! Be careful! Our hobby/lifestyle/interest is no joke!
    I work for a fire protection company. I have a copy of a safety video where they cooked off pallets of boxed ammo in fire to demonstrate how relatively ineffective it is to do major (fatal) harm. They included creating a semi trailer fire of ammo for firefighters to put out.

Firefighters described feeling the rounds hitting their turnout gear and bouncing off.

Bare skin, I could see some minor lacerations. But no serious, life threatening injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    I work for a fire protection company. I have a copy of a safety video where they cooked off pallets of boxed ammo in fire to demonstrate how relatively ineffective it is to do major (fatal) harm. They included creating a semi trailer fire of ammo for firefighters to put out.

Firefighters described feeling the rounds hitting their turnout gear and bouncing off.

Bare skin, I could see some minor lacerations. But no serious, life threatening injuries.
    It was probably the cases that were flying around. Being the lightest part it's what would most likely launch. IIRC that's what the slo-mo camera on Mythbusters showed as well. I'd have to find the right episode again though.
    Less & less amused every day...
    INGO #467

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast