• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just looking over the Palmetto State Armory email and this caught my attention:

VORTEX STRIKEFIRE II RED DOT (4MOA RED/GREEN DOT) - SF-RG-501
    $ 179.99: on sale for $129 so I lost control.
    My retirement present to myself. :)
    And, my reward for not buying about 4 different guns and a couple of rifles I wanted in the past month.
    I still want a CZ 457 bolt action someday, but I'd like to shoot someone's first, but everything I've read says the are the best bang for the buck.
    Since I have a Ruger 10/22 semi-auto, instead of getting a Ruger bolt action, I'd like to hold out for the CZ, but I've nearly bought 2 different Ruger bolt action rifles but not having a scope coming with them is a deal breaker for me.

bmNiDX9.jpg

MFR#: SF-RG-501
    When situations demand split-second target acquisition and maximum field of view, mount up the StrikeFire II and shootboth eyes open. Feature-rich, versatile and reliable, the StrikeFire II is a great choice for shooters who want a quality red dot sight, but dont want to break the bank. Features sleek rear-facing controls for power on/off and easy adjustment of ten dot intensity levelslowest two settings are night-vision compatible. Automatically returns to the last dot intensity used when powered up. The 30mm aluminum alloy chassis provides extra-high recoil rating and is waterproof and fogproof.

Earlier today I bought Walker's Ultimate Power Muff Electronic Earmuffs
    Sale $54.99
    Regular Price: $109.99
    Save $55.00 (50%)

midwayusa-logo-v1.svg

Features:
    Two Hi Gain Omni Directional Microphones
    9x Hearing Enhancement
    Power- 50 dB
    Adjustable Frequency Tuning- AFT
    2 independent volume controls
    Sound activated compression (SAC)
    Noise reducing rating, NRR 26dB
    Compact folding design
    Anti-Microbial Ear Pads
    Runs on (2) AAA batteries (included)

ExqEMbb.jpg

I was told to get some electronic ear muffs some time ago (Rhino, I think), and I finally got around to it.
    I mostly shoot by myself, so it didn't matter so much, but I intend to get involved in some steel shooting whenever I can find the time, retirement has me too busy catching up on the work to the house since last summer was lost on surgery.
    Tomorrow is concrete patching and replacing some expansion joint.
    Well, maybe another day when not so hot. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm not getting an AR.
    Not knowing anything about optics, it seems I should have asked for advice, even if it was a pm to someone, if I have ordered the wrong thing.
    I was using a red dot on a Smith Victory the other day, and it was shooting as well as the Ruger Mark 3 with the Volquartsen barrel with some other trigger and spring updates.

I thought I should get a decent red dot for the Volquartsen barrel.

I did buy a used Nikon pistol scope the other day since I discovered I liked scopes better than red dots b/c of the magnification and being able to see where the round hit, instead of having to get out the binoculars.

I was thinking that this red dot would be suitable for steel shooting.

Below are a couple of targets showing the SW Victory that I bought last Spring for possible steel shooting since it was set up for it and had been used for that purpose (member here), with 5 mags and red dot (maybe trigger work I've forgotten about also) and the Ruger/Volquartsen w/o a red dot.

53VmBka.jpg
    NPHBMS9.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Remember that a red dot, especially when used for shooting steel, is more for quick target acquisition than accuracy. You're shooting at 6" or larger steel targets normally, so transitioning between targets is more important than shooting tiny groups. IMO the cylinder style red dots aren't as good for this, but that may just be me.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That optic is better suited on a rifle because of the size of it. Also, the cantilever mount is tall and the ideal height for use on an AR type gun. I see 2 outcomes here, you either end up selling it or buying a rifle to use it on. Again, it's not ideal for a handgun. I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there uses one on a handgun and may have success with it, but I personally haven't seen that. IMO, there are much smaller optics better suited for handguns.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Red dots are fine. That dot is a good choice for lots of guns but as said above, the mount is more suited for an AR style rifle. You can change mounts and use it on whatever you like. I was just spicing up your thread. :):

If you want to borrow an AR to test it though, PM me. :laugh:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Red dots are fine. That dot is a good choice for lots of guns but as said above, the mount is more suited for an AR style rifle. You can change mounts and use it on whatever you like. I was just spicing up your thread. :):

If you want to borrow an AR to test it though, PM me. :laugh:
    Reported.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been out on the driveway replacing some expansion joints between the concrete slabs and garage floor.
    It has been decades since I've done that sort of thing: young man's work. :dunno:

Note: I'm not getting notices of responses to my posts/threads starting last night, I assume, so I'll be slower to respond till it gets remedied.
    My General Settings on INGO are "checked" appropriately.

I sincerely appreciate the input about what the heck was I doing ordering that red dot.
    I called and canceled the order as soon as they opened this am, since I didn't know what I was doing, and should have asked first.
    Fortunately, someone texted me early this am who knows it isn't the direction I want to go and gave me a heads-up, and these further comments verified that.
    Again, thanks! :thumbsup:

I have a small BSA red dot I bought some time ago to put on one of my surviving .22LR pistols, probably the Ruger/Volquartsen (bought off member), since I'm selling the Colt Target, and the SW 41 (bought off member).

Since I discovered by using a red dot on the Ruger Charger I had (bought off member, but sold when I got a Ruger 10/22 (bought off member), with no magnification, that I'd rather have a scope so I can see where my rounds are going, which I can't at 40'.
    I didn't realize that a pistol scope is different than a rifle scope, so my buying a used pistol scope probably won't help me see where my rounds are going, I assume b/c of the low magnification, since I have the one that came with the SW 41 (that is x1), and another I bought last week, an older used Nikon (x2), marked $189 (when new) on the box for $70 to try out.
    I can't see where the rounds are going at 40' with a red dot, and have to get out the binoculars.
    Unless they make pistol scopes with more than the 3-4 inch eye relief like for rifles, I'll still have to get out the binoculars. :dunno:

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Yeah, pistol scopes a.k.a. scout scopes have long eye relief. Like 18" or more.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I've been out on the driveway replacing some expansion joints between the concrete slabs and garage floor.
    It has been decades since I've done that sort of thing: young man's work. :dunno:

Note: I'm not getting notices of responses to my posts/threads starting last night, I assume, so I'll be slower to respond till it gets remedied.
    My General Settings on INGO are "checked" appropriately.

I sincerely appreciate the input about what the heck was I doing ordering that red dot.
    I called and canceled the order as soon as they opened this am, since I didn't know what I was doing, and should have asked first.
    Fortunately, someone texted me early this am who knows it isn't the direction I want to go and gave me a heads-up, and these further comments verified that.
    Again, thanks! :thumbsup:

I have a small BSA red dot I bought some time ago to put on one of my surviving .22LR pistols, probably the Ruger/Volquartsen (bought off member), since I'm selling the Colt Target, and the SW 41 (bought off member).

Since I discovered by using a red dot on the Ruger Charger I had (bought off member, but sold when I got a Ruger 10/22 (bought off member), with no magnification, that I'd rather have a scope so I can see where my rounds are going, which I can't at 40'.
    I didn't realize that a pistol scope is different than a rifle scope, so my buying a used pistol scope probably won't help me see where my rounds are going, I assume b/c of the low magnification, since I have the one that came with the SW 41 (that is x1), and another I bought last week, an older used Nikon (x2), marked $189 (when new) on the box for $70 to try out.
    I can't see where the rounds are going at 40' with a red dot, and have to get out the binoculars.
    Unless I they make pistol scopes with more than the 3-4 inch eye relief like for rifles, I'll still have to get out the binoculars. :dunno:

Cancelled?!?!? What are you going to put on your AR? ;)

Top Bottom