• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I have my next gun in sight, but that got me to thinking something else. What's the procedure now? The last time I bought a gun you could almost buy one with out batting an eye. I had to really think to come up with my last firearm purchase, early 1990's. If I remember correctly, I think they just wrote down the info off my CC permit, I gave them some money, and I went home with a new gun. What's the procedure now?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Generally speaking, you fill out a form 4473 at the LGS, they call (or go online) to the NICS system (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) and as long as you don't have anything in your background to preclude you from owning a firearm, you get a "proceed". Note this is NOT a gun registration. They will tell them you're buying a long gun or a handgun but that's it. I always put my SSN on the 4473. It's optional but if you have a common name (I don't), it can help. As an alternative you can apply for a Universal Personal Identification Number (UPIN) which can be used instead of your SSN. Just make sure you're truthful on the 4473, print legibly, spell out everything - no abbreviations such as St. for Street or Rd. for Road, etc.. The only thing they allow you to abbreviate is the state (IN). Even then, I spell out Indiana when they ask for the city where you were born.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have my next gun in sight, but that got me to thinking something else. What's the procedure now? The last time I bought a gun you could almost buy one with out batting an eye. I had to really think to come up with my last firearm purchase, early 1990's. If I remember correctly, I think they just wrote down the info off my CC permit, I gave them some money, and I went home with a new gun. What's the procedure now?

Um, no, you have it backwards.

In the early 1990s Indiana was under the Universal Background Check which was abolished in 1998. There was never any writing down "the info" off a "CC permit". Things are less restrictive now.

You find the firearm you would like to buy as long as it is an intrastate purchase you give him money and he gives you the gun.

1. You must both be intrastate.
    2. You must not be prohibited person under state and federal law.
    3. You must have no indicia that the firearm is stolen.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Generally speaking, you fill out a form 4473 at the LGS, they call (or go online) to the NICS system (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) and as long as you don't have anything in your background to preclude you from owning a firearm, you get a "proceed". Note this is NOT a gun registration. They will tell them you're buying a long gun or a handgun but that's it. I always put my SSN on the 4473. It's optional but if you have a common name (I don't), it can help. As an alternative you can apply for a Universal Personal Identification Number (UPIN) which can be used instead of your SSN. Just make sure you're truthful on the 4473, print legibly, spell out everything - no abbreviations such as St. for Street or Rd. for Road, etc.. The only thing they allow you to abbreviate is the state (IN). Even then, I spell out Indiana when they ask for the city where you were born.

Doggy, believe he is speaking regarding non-licensee purchase.

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011

Thanks for the abbreviation tip, I always abbreviate my address. Can the form 4473 be filled out & printed from home and take that into the LGS, or does it have to be done there?

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Um, no, you have it backwards.

In the early 1990s Indiana was under the Universal Background Check which was abolished in 1998. There was never any writing down "the info" off a "CC permit". Things are less restrictive now.

You find the firearm you would like to buy as long as it is an intrastate purchase you give him money and he gives you the gun.

1. You must both be intrastate.
    2. You must not be prohibited person under state and federal law.
    3. You must have no indicia that the firearm is stolen.

I could have it backwards, I could also be completely wrong, after all, it's been almost 30 years. It just seems it was pretty easy back then.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Thanks for the abbreviation tip, I always abbreviate my address. Can the form 4473 be filled out & printed from home and take that into the LGS, or does it have to be done there?

I always include my full middle name and SS# as others have stated to help prevent crossover problems with similar names.

Also as stated, you have to fill out the form at the LGS. Some of them use the paper form and some have you fill it out on a computer.

Kirk's 1-2-3 in post #3 is correct for person to person sales.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ive been married since Sep 2014, so I guess my dry spell started around Sep 2014? As I think back, she was smiling way more than a simple marriage would warrant?

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Ive been married since Sep 2014, so I guess my dry spell started around Sep 2014? As I think back, she was smiling way more than a simple marriage would warrant?

We are still talking about gun buying dry spell, right?

Top Bottom