• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Has anyone used PSA AR-15 build kits? My first build and I only have heard one positive review for them. Would like to hear more positive and negative.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you want an entry level AR15, go for it and don't worry about it.
    You'll get a fine range gun that will give you years of service.

If you are looking for match quality, look elsewhere.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There are a LOT of them out there. For the casual shooter, they are great. I've got 500-700 rounds through mine and it's been flawless. I built it for $450 a few months before the 2016 election.

Yes, some people have issues with them and their customer service/shipping used to be horrible. I think they are doing a lot better job now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just built one for a guy. I'm sure it will be fine for him. It comes down to money, really. I took his out to the range for a function check and carried mine along. There was no comparison, but there shouldn't be. Mine cost about 3X more than his to build.

I agree 100% with mgderf.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I built one earlier this year. It works fine. It puts rounds on the target, and is fun to shoot. Since it is my first AR15, and only my third rifle/carbine/whatever, I have no idea if it is bad, good or otherwise. It works fine though.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Never built one. Only read opinions about them here numerous times. Yes I'm sure you get what you pay for. I like to think you can always upgrade the upper later should you desire or need to. I saw complete lowers from PSA this weekend for $99.99 and complete M4 profile "freedom" uppers for $179.99. For that price point the gamble is minimal and you won't be out too much if you upgrade to a better upper fown the road or if you put a smoother trigger in later. Either way you woulf end up with spare parts if ever needed

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've built several AR's, some with their better stuff and a couple with their cheaper stuff, and some with bits of both. Their good stuff is really good, such as the CHF F&N machine gun steel barrels with double-thick chrome lining. Their cheap stuff doesn't have the fit/finish of them, but they work just fine and shoot well.

I don't know why in the world someone would buy a $350 PSA kit and then compare it to a $1700 Daniel Defense or BCM and then complain that it isn't as nice. I can tell you this, I won't drag my higher end guns through the mud, beat the crap out of them, or neglect them like I do the cheap PSA. The cheapo takes a licking and keeps going, no issues. They make for a great truck gun, for example. Btw, I have bought mostly blemished components, so sometimes the blem is the shade of black on the finish, so they look like a hodgepodge. On others, I couldn't find the blems. After you use them a bit, you'll forget about all that.

As for customer service, I heard some stories, but I've never needed them, so I can't speak to that. All of the cheaper PSA I have and my friends have run flawlessly.

Edit...I have not built, owned, or shot the "Freedom" models, so I can't say anything about them.

The higher end PSA stuff is used by Battlefield Vegas, and they've endured torture testing like nobody else will ever give them. They've held up every bit as well as the best brands, again, such as Daniel Defense, H&K, Colt, and others. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they have run BCM, as well. There is a LONG thread about it on Arfcom. Everything from the bolts to the carriers to everything else has held up as well as any.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It all depends on what you want to do. Stay away from the Freedom line if you want quality. Their premium stuff is decent if you want mid level quality at an affordable price.

My first AR was done with all premium PSA parts. I built the lower, bought the upper. It's held up well and performed in two different rifle classes. I have never had any malfunctions with it, but that's a sample of about 2500 rounds. Not exactly torture tested.

That said, I have since moved up to BCM for my go-to rifle.

PSA is a good affordable rifle that can get you into the AR game for not a ton of money. But if you are only going to buy one, you can do better.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I built my latest pistol out of one of their kits. I can tell you this... When it comes to modifying a built PSA upper, this was the most difficult upper I've ever taken apart in my lift. I wanted to put a different rail system on it, and the amount of force required to remove the barrel nut on a bran new, unfired upper was insane. I broke 4 teeth off my barrel nut wrench that has served me for years. If you buy a PSA kit, just run it as is, it should run. If you plan to use it as a source of cheap parts, look elsewhere.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I built my latest pistol out of one of their kits. I can tell you this... When it comes to modifying a built PSA upper, this was the most difficult upper I've ever taken apart in my lift. I wanted to put a different rail system on it, and the amount of force required to remove the barrel nut on a bran new, unfired upper was insane. I broke 4 teeth off my barrel nut wrench that has served me for years. If you buy a PSA kit, just run it as is, it should run. If you plan to use it as a source of cheap parts, look elsewhere.

Makes me wonder if loc tite was used.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i assembled one for my future sil, we took it to the range, put about 200 rounds thru it without a hicup, i think it was this kit
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...weight-m-lok-moe-ept-rifle-kit-516446780.html

the only thing we changed was the safety (he's a damn dirty southpaw!) we put an ambi safety on, he added a sig Romeo (he bought it with 10 mags)
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig...t-ten-magpul-pmag-30-5-56x45mm-magazines.html

I made sure to tell him that it wasn't a Daniel defense, larue, or even rock river quality, but as much as he'd shoot it, it'd last him a long time (or till he could justify something better), he told me he wanted a springfield saint, but he wanted to change this and that, and all I said was why do you want to buy an ar15, and throw away parts??? because the parts you want to change, are the same parts the everybody want to change, so you cant sell them, and then you have to buy the parts you want, and buy the time you do that, you'd be better off just finding what you want in a kit, and i'll help you build it (in fact all he did was watch while I put it together)

theres a local gun shop/smith that kinda specializes in ar's and he told me he loves the palmetto state armory ar15's...they keep him busy fixing ar's!

so 399+199+50 (lower)=650.00 for a somewhat above "entry level ar15 cost" he got a (imho) a mid level ar15 (with 10 mags and a red dot sight) I wish the first ar I assembled was that inexpensive (mine was about 900) but that was in late 08 or early 09 (I found an upper in stock for 410 delivered, when most places were saying 6-8 month to build an upper,it had a free floating hand guard, quad gas block, with a bcg)

that's my experience with palmetto state, it was pretty good, but I know others who haven't, so take my comments with a grain of salt and good luck with whatever you decide

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've always had good luck with them. I've never even had a bad shipping experience even when they were known for having bad shipping problems. I've never had to use their customer service either. I guess I'm just super lucky.

The only thing I've never tried is the Freedom line & I've never tried one of their AR15 barrels.

Small parts, uppers, lowers, premium bolts, ammo = all gtg.

Last edited:

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    I’ve got a 16 inch FN barrel premium upper i’ve had since 13/14. It’s accurate enough and is reliable as hell. Psa premium bcg on a psa lower build kit. I’ve beat it to death and has a high round count. Also, have a 10.5 FN premium upper with their premium bcg no problems. Are they sub MOA guns? No. But they haven’t given me a reason not to trust them.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette

Thiiiiiis. I did the exact same thing. Ripped my vice off my table and had to go elsewhere and use a heavier duty setup. The barrel nut was absolutely stupid tight. And the pins in the gas block were IN there. Run it as is. They run like champs tho.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Thiiiiiis. I did the exact same thing. Ripped my vice off my table and had to go elsewhere and use a heavier duty setup. The barrel nut was absolutely stupid tight. And the pins in the gas block were IN there. Run it as is. They run like champs tho.

Yeah, I forgot about that... I beat the crap out of 3 punches on those front sight pins. (2 were steel punches) Had to order new ones from Brownell's.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Using one of there 50 dollar bolt carrier groups, bought 3 at one time. 1500 rounds later and the first one is still functioning as it should. Planning on using the second one in a pistol build I'm slowly piecing together and the third as a spare.

Top Bottom