• ...and so much more!
  • vuman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Cumberland
    Gun Track

Has anyone used the Guntrack App on Android or IOS? i usually use an excel spread sheet but this apparently allows you to easily manage ammo count. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    LOL I thought you meant an app to actually chip and track your guns. A cousin by marriage retired from the army a couple of years ago. He'd been working on an asset management project to track everything from pistols to tanks in real time so the brass could A: see just where their troops and weapons were, and B: warn them of nearby enemies they might not otherwise know of.

vuman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Cumberland
    Well I ended up getting the app and trying it out. I really like it. It not only tracks ammo but keeps record of how many shots through each weapon. I'm sure I have ATF looking through it but for my tiny collection I'm not too worried. I also may or may not have left a few off the grid.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Thanks for trying it. Hope it works for you. I have a spreadsheet inventory of my guns. I keep track of my ammo by, uh..........looking at the brass. If the brass has one of those pointy things, it's ammo. If there's a hole there, I put one of those pointy things in it. :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for trying it. Hope it works for you. I have a spreadsheet inventory of my guns. I keep track of my ammo by, uh..........looking at the brass. If the brass has one of those pointy things, it's ammo. If there's a hole there, I put one of those pointy things in it. :)

Me too. I keep a spreadsheet on my guns. Serial number, Model, caliber,date purchased, date sold, price paid, current value, picture. I used to keep round count. Not anymore. I am too busy to count rounds every time I go to the range or a training class.

vuman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Cumberland

Lol yeah that works, however, i screwed up and my stockpile was depleted. this will allow me to work on stockpiling without having to get into the safe to see what i need more of. once i feel i have stockpiled enough of every caliber, ill stop keeping track.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    More power to those that like it, it's good to have software people on our side too.

That being said, android, google, apps... how do you know? I know Office is pretty connected to but it's at least based offline till you put it on the cloud and lets you think it's only stored locally. Tin foil hat? check! :tinfoil:

I do it in Excel but that's also because I'm the go-to excel guy at work so a guns, ammo, parts, upgrades, reloading tracker spreadsheet is small potatoes compared to my day job.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    More power to those that like it, it's good to have software people on our side too.

That being said, android, google, apps... how do you know? I know Office is pretty connected to but it's at least based offline till you put it on the cloud and lets you think it's only stored locally. Tin foil hat? check! :tinfoil:

I do it in Excel but that's also because I'm the go-to excel guy at work so a guns, ammo, parts, upgrades, reloading tracker spreadsheet is small potatoes compared to my day job.

Want to share an Excel template?

The following comments are not aimed at anyone in particular:

If you don't trust MS you could also do Open Office or Libre Office as open source alternatives.

If you're really paranoid you could only do your gun/shooting logs on a device with no network connection.

Looking at the app and the reviews it looks like something the guy developed for himself and then shared with others.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    For those of you concerned about he privacy part of storing your gun info on the web. Would it make you more comfortable or apt to use such a service if the data was encrypted at rest and required a log on to access your info?

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County

Reminds me. Gotta go update the file.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Want to share an Excel template?

If you don't mind the lack of directions and that it's all assembled bit by bit as the need arose rather than with a grand plan, I don't mind at all.

For those of you concerned about he privacy part of storing your gun info on the web. Would it make you more comfortable or apt to use such a service if the data was encrypted at rest and required a log on to access your info?

FB is encrypted too. So is yahoo. It's not so much that it could be intercepted coming and going as that someone else has it. someone else could be subpoenaed, hacked, lured into selling, etc. Your tin-foil hat is weak! lol

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have somewhere between 5,000-10,000 rounds through my FS handgun, prob 500-2000 through my newer AR, maybe 700-900 through my long rig. Prob a lot through my 22s.... hmmm and a bunch through my revolvers. I’ve found most data points that came from tracking round counts to be near worthless. You can tell when an extractor is worn. You can see 1/2 MOA groups open up, etc. If you can afford to put 10k rounds through an AR and can’t afford to replace the barre prematurely at 10k, something doesn’t add up. My $0.02

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have somewhere between 5,000-10,000 rounds through my FS handgun, prob 500-2000 through my newer AR, maybe 700-900 through my long rig. Prob a lot through my 22s.... hmmm and a bunch through my revolvers. I’ve found most data points that came from tracking round counts to be near worthless. You can tell when an extractor is worn. You can see 1/2 MOA groups open up, etc. If you can afford to put 10k rounds through an AR and can’t afford to replace the barre prematurely at 10k, something doesn’t add up. My $0.02

It's about OCD and just having it available as much as anything. How about guns that mfrs say replace springs at X round count? Do you keep track or just run it till the slide cracks? How do you know you've hit 10k rounds to replace that barrel? What does cost of a barrel have to do with anything in this thread? Also, some people have more than 4 guns to keep track of. If I only had 4 guns or even 4 calibers it'd be easy to remember.

Also, having worked in an auto repair shop so I'm all to familiar with the delicacy of memory and perception "I thought I just changed the oil last week" "It just started making that noise a few days ago" "the gas mileage has really dropped"(when they mean mileage = cash spent per fillup when the price has gone up since they last noticed and they started commuting further) as well as the old lady that comes in every month asking if we can change the oil on her newer car with a 10k mile OCI that only drove 500 miles on it.

I track info, mileage, upgrades, and repairs in my cars way more closely than necessary too.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a bit skeptical of putting a database of everthing in the safe out there for big brother and have access. Not sure I really need this.

Yeah, phone apps are notorious for horrible security and privacy.

There's plenty of safe desktop programs for keeping track of these things.

EDIT: I see this app isn't free, which makes me feel better about it.

It's a risk assessment - what if someone else gets access to this info? What's the likelihood of that happening, and what's the consequence of that happening?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom