• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Kids don't get jail time. It used to be under 18, but younger and younger teens are being charged as adults - that means they have to start them younger and younger.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have to wonder how this works out, if people who start as criminals earlier are more likely to remain criminals.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Wow, 6 years old and breaking into homes? That is a new record.

15 or so years ago, in Chicago I pull up to a friends house and was waiting for them to come out. A kid, could not of even been 12 walks up to the car and asks me what I want. I told him what I was there for and he tells me I have to leave, messin up his business, people sittin in cars attract 5 0. I laughed, he pulled up his shirt and revealed the but end of a revolver. I left.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Feral hominids...raised by rabid wolves. It's what's expected. Just because it's bipedal doesn't mean it's anything other than a wild animal anymore.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Wow, 6 years old and breaking into homes? That is a new record.

We had a string of burglaries here four or five years ago. The kids doing it ranged from eighth to twelve. It turned out the eight year old was the one doing the planning and the lookout.

I wouldn't trust my six year old with either of those two tasks, but unfortunately my nine year old would probably be excellent at both. :laugh:

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I've always been curious about the idea of "growing up fast". Taking on responsibility/serious tasks early (even terrible-for-other-people responsibilities like trying to be a successful thief) supposedly makes you "age faster", but, I've also heard much about how at certain ages the brain develops in certain key ways. not fully developed until 25 or 26 was the last I heard, I think.

Anyone have good input / reading recommendations on this topic? Hearing about a 6 year old stealing guns has rekindled my curiosity in about the worst way possible

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    "Authorities were in talks with prosecutors and juvenile justice officials to determine what to do with the 6-year-old."

Find him a new set of parents.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    This doesn't surprise me too much, sadly. I've worked with a person (as a client) who has been in and out of the system since he was 8 years old. He's a nice person, but was never given any sort of guidance and has a very warped view of the world and how people should be treated. I have a feeling it is a similar situation with the child in this case.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    KEGrwdh.jpg

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Some of these incidents might be initiations into gangs also. I do find it troublesome that these "kids" broke into a sporting goods store, made off with the goods, and then stole a vehicle from the parking lot. Was this store on top of a mountain? In my mind, if they are doing business burglaries, and stealing vehicles, these suspects are not "kids." They have had some practice at their craft, so to speak.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I've always been curious about the idea of "growing up fast". Taking on responsibility/serious tasks early (even terrible-for-other-people responsibilities like trying to be a successful thief) supposedly makes you "age faster", but, I've also heard much about how at certain ages the brain develops in certain key ways. not fully developed until 25 or 26 was the last I heard, I think.

Anyone have good input / reading recommendations on this topic? Hearing about a 6 year old stealing guns has rekindled my curiosity in about the worst way possible

I came across an article earlier criticizing efforts at upping the age limits on guns as classist based on most of the people in congress had easy sheltered lives with family support and schooling till they're 30 so they see the onset of maturity later and don't see a problem with raising the age limit whereas low income families often see the "kids" out of the house at 18 and grandkids not much older... so they're working, paying taxes, raising a family, have a family to protect but can't touch a gun, and are more mature than a 30 yo.

case and point, guy I went to school with had a rough family and childhood but seemed to be a nice enough, well-spoken, and intelligent guy. bounced between parents growing up (neither wanted him (or eachother for that matter)), was working and basically supporting himself before they stopped letting him into either house at 18, midway through the senior year. He, in turn had 4 kids (2 semi-planned and surprise twins) and was raising them while going to school and working to support the household by the time he was old enough to drink. Contrast that with my my in-laws: not rich but doing well enough, had kids in their 30s, and sis-in-law who's 30 or 31 now, took 5-7 years to do a 2yr degree, still living at home making $<12/hr, and dad's trying to restrain himself from having a talk with her employer (that he got her the job at) with about taking advantage of her time. Him: whatever dude, make it happen. Her I wouldn't trust with anything more dangerous than one of those British anti-domestic abuser knives.

Sorry, don't have any reading suggestions but I would put this out there: The brain does what you ask it to and it gets good at what you have it do often. If you put most people in situations requiring maturity and decision making from an early age, they will be good at it earlier. If you never put someone in that situation, they will never be good at it whether they are 18, 28, or 80. (at least that goes for the middle 90% of the population, there will always be over/under achievers as well)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Kids in juvi have it all figured out.
    Hell it's a summer camp for them.
    Esp when almost all places are "hands off".
    Its a money making joke for the facilities. State pays quite a bit to temporarily store the scum.
    Turn 18 and set em free.

They'll end up in jail, or dead, proly breed a few times before either one happens.
    Making a mess, creating more gov jobs to deal with it.

Nobody wants to fix the problem. Would be less gov jobs/influence.

Should be legal to put a CCI in their ear canal up to age 18.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    According to fam that works with troubled kids..........

About...
    1/3 are of low IQ
    1/3 are sexually abused
    1/3 are drug abusers

Sure, a few are just decent kids in bad environments. Unfortunately very few will succeed by distancing themselves from their past.

Statistically speaking.........the whole mess aint worth it.

Think a ton of Simeon Adams types.
    State declares them "minor risk"..............until they kill somebody.

Top Bottom