• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2016
    mishawka
    a friend of mine and i were talking about Indiana Carry laws. Like no carry in hospitals, courts( which last i knew judges here in ST. Joseph co were still blocking at the county side bldg because of a basement walk way between the bldg and the court house. Even tho State Sen Tomes it seems sent the judges a letter that it does not apply as part of the court house. but still enforced. ) But any ways we were wondering about buses owned by the city. So i contacted Sen .Tomes awhile back and asked him. Which he stated it should.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Good place to start:

IC 35-47-11
    Sec. 4 . This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:

(5) Subject to IC 35-47-16-1 , the enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in any building that contains the courtroom of a circuit, superior, city, town, or small claims court.  However, if a portion of the building is occupied by a residential tenant or private business, any provision restricting or prohibiting the possession of a firearm does not apply to the portion of the building that is occupied by the residential tenant or private business, or to common areas of the building used by a residential tenant or private business.

(13) Subject to IC 35-47-16-1 , a unit (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23 ) from enacting or enforcing a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a building owned or administered by the unit if:
    (A) metal detection devices are located at each public entrance to the building;

(B) each public entrance to the building is staffed by at least one (1) law enforcement officer:
    (i) who has been adequately trained to conduct inspections of persons entering the building by use of metal detection devices and proper physical pat down searches;  and

(ii) when the building is open to the public;  and

(C) each:
    (i) individual who enters the building through the public entrance when the building is open to the public;  and

(ii) bag, package, and other container carried by the individual;

is inspected by a law enforcement officer described in clause (B).

However, except as provided in subdivision (5) concerning a building that contains a courtroom, a unit may not prohibit or restrict the possession of a handgun under this subdivision in a building owned or administered by the unit if the person who possesses the handgun has been issued a valid license to carry the handgun under IC 35-47-2.

https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-35-criminal-law-and-procedure/in-code-sect-35-47-11-1-4.html

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What I wonder about is the mention of carrying being illegal in hospitals. While most or all hospitals have guns saying no weapons allowed, I don't believe it's illegal... :scratch:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Buses are not a special exception to the State's preemption laws.

The South Bend Public Transportation Corporation was created by South Bend local government, and is therefore its own local government entity. It cannot have a rule or policy about firearms. And, if you check South Bend Ordinances, they do not.

Pretty simple, really.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    City buses are fine.

Neither St. Joe or Memorial have a secure unit that I am aware of. They have signs posted but that is just SOP. Keep it covered and you'll be fine.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    questions like this are why im against national carry laws, because to me, it seams the op is asking is ok to carry a handgun on municipal transportation (ie city bus) in Indiana it is legal to carry a handgun on a city bus WITH a license to carry a handgun, BUT our wonderful neighbor to the west says its illegal to carry a firearm on any public transportation (its a felony).

so, until we get national uniformity in carry laws, im against a "national right to carry" because there's too many ways to become a felon in other states that are legal here, ie carrying your gun in a bar is legal in Indiana, but is a felony in Illinois or Ohio, and remember ignorance of the law is no excuse!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    questions like this are why im against national carry laws, because to me, it seams the op is asking is ok to carry a handgun on municipal transportation (ie city bus) in Indiana it is legal to carry a handgun on a city bus WITH a license to carry a handgun, BUT our wonderful neighbor to the west says its illegal to carry a firearm on any public transportation (its a felony).

so, until we get national uniformity in carry laws, im against a "national right to carry" because there's too many ways to become a felon in other states that are legal here, ie carrying your gun in a bar is legal in Indiana, but is a felony in Illinois or Ohio, and remember ignorance of the law is no excuse!

This guy gets it.

Although, I'm not sure if there's anyone pushing to uniform all the laws between the states.

OP, why would you think "bus carry" is illegal?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The secure areas of hospitals have already been covered. In Indy, pretty much only means Eskanazi hospital.

HOWEVER - VA hospitals and clinics are FEDERAL no gun zones. No iffs, ands, or buts about that one.

Top Bottom