• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    WTHR ran a report today that talks about a person going to jail for making a straw purchase of a handgun that was used to kill Deputy Jacob Pickett. The report then goes on the explain how hard it is to track guns used in crimes. Now I hope everyone is sitting down because it also states that one of the biggest myths about criminals and guns is that they purchase the weapons at gun stores and gun shows.

https://www.wthr.com/article/feds-crackdown-straw-sales-other-illegal-gun-sales-remain-harder-track

Well done WTHR!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Stoppingpower.net has an article about LE assualts and the criminals that do it. It mentions that fact that of the weapons recovered from the attacks on Leo's only one came from the "Gun show loophole' (their words) they are stolen or straw purchases by someone obviously illegally purchasing for others (as in people that couldn't legally possess)there is a connection from straw purchases to criminal on criminal shootings

News from The Force Science Research Center

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Stoppingpower.net has an article about LE assualts and the criminals that do it. It mentions that fact that of the weapons recovered from the attacks on Leo's only one came from the "Gun show loophole' (their words) they are stolen or straw purchases by someone obviously illegally purchasing for others (as in people that couldn't legally possess)there is a connection from straw purchases to criminal on criminal shootings

News from The Force Science Research Center

That's an interesting read.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    It's about $%^& time that they start prosecuting people for straw purchases.

I worked at a big box gun counter for a year. I lost count of the number of upset customers I sent out the door because they were clearly straw purchases. If we got far enough in the process to get personal info, we would keep that and forward it to the BATFE agent assigned to our chain.

I live in and worked in an area that has a high Amish population. The Amish were the worst offenders in our area. This is because the Amish in our area refused to obtain photo ID's of any type. No photo ID, no 4473, no sale.

The most memorable example was one evening. I saw an Amish gentleman and an "English" (Amish driver) talking about 15 feet from the counter. After 10 minutes of banter, the "English" comes over and says, "I want to buy that rifle". I noticed that the Amish gentleman was watching intently in the background.

Many (not all) of the people I happened to encounter were ignorant of the modern state of firearms and so I went into my usual question mode for perceived newbees....."OK, what do you plan on using this rifle for?" The "English" guy just looks at me and says, "I don't know". I then asked "So what do you like about this rifle?" And the "English" just stares at me and does not answer.

I then put the rifle back, and ask him, "I see your Amish friend is watching you....Is this rifle for you or him?" Then the "English starts verbally falling over himself "Well, um, you see, um".

I explain to him what he is attempting to do is a straw purchase by purchasing a gun for someone who otherwise could not make a legal purchase on their own. I then explained that a straw purchase is a felony and can put him, his Amish friend, and even me (if I processed a straw purchase knowingly) in jail for 10 years. I said that if his Amish friend does not have a photo ID (safe assumption in our area) then he would not be able to purchase any firearm from us.

I was not mean about it, but I was serious about it. The "English" gentleman said "Oh, wow, I did not know that" (which probably was true) and promptly left that area of the store.

I lost count of the numbers of people I turned away that were clearly looking to purchase a gun for another.

Our current gun laws infringe on our rights more than they should. But instead of enforcing the gun laws we have (like straw purchase laws), the government wants to write more a more laws. They try to tell us how the current laws are not working, but no law will "work" if it is never enforced. Then they selectively enforce the laws for those they disagree with. Which in turn makes the very laws that should create a civilized society a weapon against anyone the government disagrees with leading to absolute tyranny.

:soapbox::ranton:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom