• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I needed new glasses for shooting.
    I started to notice that when my eye was looking at the sights.
    They were clear. When I looked down range. It was blurred.
    About a year ago I stopped in,

Stanton Optical
    Optometrist
    5415 N Main St,
    Mishawaka, IN 46545

I brought with me a clear plastic 1911 with red barrel tip.
    I explained to the Optometrist ($40.00 extra) that I wanted the close range lens to see my sights at arm length.
    We discussed my needs and she did a lot of measuring to accommodate me.
    She was very friendly to talk to.
    Then I was told I would be serviced by one of the sales personal in front.
    Again we discussed exactly what my needs were and she understood.
    I wanted a set of bifocals and a set of just reading glasses.
    Both were to be made with the same reading distance (arms length).
    At Stanton, a pair (TWO complete) bifocal glasses were approx $120.00
    A pair of just reading glasses were a pair (two complete) glasses approx $80.00.
    I returned two weeks later to pick up the glasses.
    Both lens were modified to read close up. Note stated incorrect measurements.
    Long heated discussion on who dictates who's needs.
    They remade the lens another two weeks. good to my use.
    When I received the bill. it was Approx $220.00 for the bifocal and $160 for the reading.
    They said it was my mistake and they accommodated my remake.
    Then I asked where is the second pair of each prescription.
    I was told I ordered more expensive frames. I only receive one pair in each lens type.
    After much heated discussion. I was told they will call the police.
    As I was leaving the manager. Who I have been discussing the price and number of pairs of glasses I received.
    Made this comment loud enough for me to clearly hear.
    "I hate guns".

last week I stopped in,Eyemart Express
    215 E. University Dr., Suite 150
    Granger,IN.

I went through the same routine. The Optometrist was about $60.00.
    This time I brought my Laptop computer.
    I demonstrated to the Optometrist that I wanted the reading lens so I can read my laptop at knee length.
    She understood my needs. She did all the measurements.
    On the sales floor. We again discussed the distance for the reading lens.
    Then the sales lady asked if I wanted Lined or Progressive lens.
    I never had Progressive lens. After she explained them to me.
    I decided that would be helpful for shooting. I would have a small range of close vision.
    All set Approx $120.00 for two pairs of progressive glasses. IN FOUR HOURS to be picked up.
    I returned about 6 o'clock EDST.
    Glasses were ready. I tried them on. The reading lens were ground for close reading.
    Again the tag read "incorrect measurement".
    NOT heated discussion. The sales lady looked at the prescription.
    It stated exactly what I required. They sent the sets back to the lab.
    To late to be picked up the same day. I returned the next day.
    The glasses were ready. I tried them on.
    Almost perfect.
    I was a bit off "Q" with the progressive lens. The very-able power was a bit unnerving.
    I tried them for a week. I got headaches and/or eyestrain.
    I went back to EyeMart Express. I told them the problem I was having with the progressive lens.
    They looked my order over. They asked for me to give them one pair to be made into lined bifocals.
    They redid the glasses at NO charge.
    As I had to wait 4 hours for them. I went to eat. I used my new Progressive glasses on my laptop.
    In the restaurant I could not extend my laptop out to knee length.
    The progressive lens let me see (read) at different distances.
    When I went to pick up my new prescription (lined) glasses. NO CHARGE!
    I told them my discovery on use of the Progressive lens. I did not want the second pair redone.
    NO Problem NO charges.
    I started using the new BIFOCAL lens for shooting.
    I needed to move my head from looking down sights to up for target.
    Shot way off.
    I went back to EyeMart Express.
    I told them the problem I was having shooting. This time I brought the plastic 1911.
    I wanted my new pairs to have a higher (taller)reading lens.
    I had a coupon for 0ne pair of bifocals for approx $50.00.
    They took new measurements and my original Bifocal glasses.
    They remade to my new requirement.
    NO CHARGE!
    Now I just have to try them a couple of times.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If you walk into a room of 100 people, and you meet one jerk, you probably just met a jerk.

If you walk in and meet 100 jerks....well, YOU are the jerk.

Spike, you've had some troubles, I get that. But you are coming across as the kind of person every practice likes to lose.

1) educate YOURSELF. That way, when the OD spits out some crazy number for what they think your script would need to be, you can discuss it with them intelligently.

2) get BOOKS. One on ABO optician certification, I'd go with "Pure Optics". Maybe one on general optical science.

3) find an OD that shoots, or at least has a good deal of experience with shooters.

4) research "hyperfocal distance", "office lenses", "knobloch frames", "Art Newgard shooting sight", and "Bob Jones shooting".

5) call Art and schedule a time to call back and be educated on focal lengths, etc. for shooting.

6) research "merit optical attachment stick on".

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    If you walk into a room of 100 people, and you meet one jerk, you probably just met a jerk.

If you walk in and meet 100 jerks....well, YOU are the jerk.

Spike, you've had some troubles, I get that. But you are coming across as the kind of person every practice likes to lose.

1) educate YOURSELF. That way, when the OD spits out some crazy number for what they think your script would need to be, you can discuss it with them intelligently.

2) get BOOKS. One on ABO optician certification, I'd go with "Pure Optics". Maybe one on general optical science.

3) find an OD that shoots, or at least has a good deal of experience with shooters.

4) research "hyperfocal distance", "office lenses", "knobloch frames", "Art Newgard shooting sight", and "Bob Jones shooting".

5) call Art and schedule a time to call back and be educated on focal lengths, etc. for shooting.

6) research "merit optical attachment stick on".

well I thank you for pointing that out. I walked into a room and met a jerk, "natdscott".

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    That was never in question, but I OWN it. I have a few close friends, and that's enough.

Me taking you by surprise with my direct, 'call it like it is' style does in no way mean I am wrong.

For what it's worth, the rest of my post might actually help you out. Been there, done that.

:)

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    That was never in question, but I OWN it. I have a few close friends, and that's enough.

Me taking you by surprise with my direct, 'call it like it is' style does in no way mean I am wrong.

For what it's worth, the rest of my post might actually help you out. Been there, done that.

:)

MY post was written to help others.
    I went to purchase glasses with specific requirements.
    That is what I expect to pay for.
    Not want hey want to give.
    I was serviced by two (BAG) services.

Then I stopped in Eyemart Express 215 E. University Dr., Suite 150 Granger,IN.
    They the extra mile for me to walk out with a big smile and exactly what I needed.

That is want I want to tell people.
    I tried to help people not criticize.
    All I will say, You walk your walk and I will walk mine.
    I hope you get what and where you want.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    FYI Norte eye care will take care of you for shooting needs. Dr Norte (previously Arnett) works w shooters to figure out what you need. When I had to go to bifocals she offered to do a special hours session so I could bring in the firearms and she could get settings right.

I will state that most of her staff is not the best (her husband is the only guy there and IS great) but Julia is amazing. One shooter needed a contact flipped to get the vision right.

Shooting has unique requirements and can take some effort to get things right. I am having troubles on the mountain bike and my visit in 2 weeks will focus on that.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    NOTE: My advice below is for ME, and MY NEEDS, which means mainly competition pistol shooting. I do a bit of rifle shooting through a scope, but not much.

I used to jump through hoops to get special prescriptions that were tailored to shooting, and never really felt that I could see as well as I could with my standard progressive prescription.

After a lot of trial and error, I finally ended up with a pair of Hunters Gold HD glasses using my *standard* progressive lens prescription. BEST GLASSES I have ever owned!!!

I have spent over $400 several times, and none of my previous glasses were anywhere near as good as these Hunters Gold HD with my standard prescription.

As an FYI, I first sent the Hunters Gold folks my "customized" shooting prescription, and they made the glasses as specified. There were OK, but I was still not really happy. I talked to them directly, and they suggested that I send in my standard prescription, and they remade my glasses at no charge! (Pretty cool!) Ever since the remake, I am as thrilled as I could possibly be! I absolutely love these glasses and tell everyone I can how much they have changed my life!!! :):

I spent so many years trying to "game the system" and get specialized glasses made with a crazy custom "shooting prescription", all for naught.

I started to realize, I can see GREAT with my standard prescription, why do I need something with a custom prescription? I know some people like the close vision magnification on the top of their lens, some want to optimize their close up focal point to the front site distance, etc., but for me, I have finally come to the realization that all of that just complicates things and ultimately makes things worse.

Obviously, YMMV.

Top Bottom