• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    My collection's size and value has outgrown the cheap cabinets I have. So I wanted to know what safe companies my fellow Hoosiers trust, where to buy, and when to look out for deals. Any info and options are greatly appreciated!

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    What is your budget and what size do you want. I have cannon safes from tractor supply that serve me well. If I remember correctly they are rated at 1200 degrees for 30 min. They are about the least expensive you can buy. If you get a Johnson custom built you get exactly what you want. Price wise the sky is the limit but you do get a much higher rated and heavier safe.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If you want a storage locker that looks like acts like its a safe, I recently bought one of these: https://www.ruralking.com/84-gun-fire-proof-safe

It is good enough to keep the stupid thieves out, keep any curious youths out and the fire protection is good enough for me considering I am close to the fire station.

The shelving material is weak and the door storage is not the quality of a say Liberty door storage but it functions for my needs.

I also have a safe that costs about three times more. Sure, it is much better built, but give me some time with a grinder and I don't doubt that I can get into either one in a relatively short period of time.

You budget defines all. A Toyota Corolla will transport you just fine but a Lexus 500 sure makes the trip nicer...

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    +100 to Johnson Safes..

Jeff Johnson and crew put out a top notch quality safe at a fair price.
    They are local and truly do appreciate your business. They will also install your new safe and set it level and secure most anyplace.

I bought a blue "Big Johnson" close to 10 years ago and have been VERY satisfied with their total package...Bill.

Edit: Not sure if they travel as far as Sellersberg??

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Start here:

https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/

Very very valuable information there.

First thing, though, is to realize that chances are good that you're still wanting an RSC - Residential Security Container. To be a true safe - it'll be expensive.

For MY money, however, a Johnson RSC had the best combination of size, price, and construction. There are PLENTY of RSCs that are more expensive - thought they use thinner steel. And there are PLENTY of RSCs that are less expensive that also use thinner steel.

But seriously - that link above is pretty incredible.

Also - if you're in a hurry, Johnson Safe isn't for you - unless you can find a used one. Plan on it being about a year wait after ordering.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Johnson safe... although I think there is a quite a bit of a wait right now... try the "want to buy" classifieds, someone may have a decent safe to get you buy for now

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Liberty Safes have been at the top for years in Fire/Quality/Affordable but Johnson Safes are up there now and he is here in Indiana.

Couple things....
    -Moving heavy safes can suck. Bad guys don't like it either. Buy a heavy safe.
    -Going in the crawlspace can suck. But if that's the BEST way to secure your safe to the floor. (not just lags) Do it. Best is not the easy way.Secure your safe no matter where you put it.
    -Buy bigger than you need. You will run out of space fast. Also, don't tell your wife you have extra room in your safe... EVER.
    -Dial Combination is old school. But it will always work. Get the Dial.
    -If you can afford it, get movers. Unless you have a nice liftgate that doesn't jerk around and launch your load and/or ramps that will go the distance without having to brace up every 2 feet because they start to wiggle and flex back and forth like a rope bridge and/or you actually own a power stair safe dolly. (if there's stairs)

Disclaimer - I moved over 10 times when I was married and I was the safe mover. Always rented trucks and I hated it every single time. If you have the option, get rid of your wife. It's cheaper in the long run and your back will thank you.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Thanks everyone! I haven't set a budget, I excepted to pay 2k plus for a decent one. I know I would at-least like a 25-30 gun cabinet. My main concern is protections my (investments fire/thieves) and not beating my surplus rifles more than they already are. I think I will look at these big Johnson safes!

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Liberty Safes have been at the top for years in Fire/Quality/Affordable but Johnson Safes are up there now and he is here in Indiana.

Couple things....
    -Going in the crawlspace can suck. But if that's the BEST way to secure your safe to the floor. (not just lags) Do it. Best is not the easy way.Secure your safe no matter where you put it.
    -Buy bigger than you need. You will run out of space fast. Also, don't tell your wife you have extra room in your safe... EVER.
    -If you can afford it, get movers. Unless you have a nice liftgate that doesn't jerk around and launch your load and/or ramps that will go the distance without having to brace up every 2 feet because they start to wiggle and flex back and forth like a rope bridge and/or you actually own a power stair safe dolly. (if there's stairs)

Disclaimer - I moved over 10 times when I was married and I was the safe mover. Always rented trucks and I hated it every single time. If you have the option, get rid of your wife. It's cheaper in the long run and your back will thank you.

I'm due to get married in September! Will I really save that much money if I bail now?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

Couple things....

I agree with everything the Duck recommends....except for the counsel about marriage.
    Johnson safes are great products. :)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have a 36 gun Superior that I would love to part with. Got married, had two kids, moved, and went back to school to finish a BBA. Most of my guns got gone and its sitting here empty next to the front door. Cash and carry.

Top Bottom