Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
    That's interesting, because you are ***ahem*** older, making your father a bit older as well. It's surprising that he was so forward thinking given the era he was from. I have long dead relatives from that era that didn't like the idea at all. I'd imagine that most people from that time didn't look too fondly on the idea.
    That was my impression when I was younger. Most people white or black, didn't much like the idea. My mom's family was a little different for some reason.

User Info Menu

That's interesting, because you are ***ahem*** older, making your father a bit older as well. It's surprising that he was so forward thinking given the era he was from. I have long dead relatives from that era that didn't like the idea at all. I'd imagine that most people from that time didn't look too fondly on the idea.
    Peoples' views sometimes change over time also. When I was very young, my dad was very "Archie Bunker"-like in his attitudes. Not really a rabid racist or anything, but if anything, fairly typical of a white conservative of the time. I remember it was a "big deal" when my oldest sister dated a Jewish guy. Also a big deal when she eventually married a Catholic (this was in the early to mid-1960's). Many years later, there was a couple that were very close friends of my parents and the husband was black and the wife was white (and German). I watched my dad's views towards things like that go through quite a transformation over the years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    Peoples' views sometimes change over time also. When I was very young, my dad was very "Archie Bunker"-like in his attitudes. Not really a rabid racist or anything, but if anything, fairly typical of a white conservative Democrat of the time. I remember it was a "big deal" when my oldest sister dated a Jewish guy. Also a big deal when she eventually married a Catholic (this was in the early to mid-1960's). Many years later, there was a couple that were very close friends of my parents and the husband was black and the wife was white (and German). I watched my dad's views towards things like that go through quite a transformation over the years.
    FTFY

Expert

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2A_Tom View Post
    FTFY
    Not really. Dad was a Goldwater Republican.

User Info Menu

Peoples' views sometimes change over time also. When I was very young, my dad was very "Archie Bunker"-like in his attitudes. Not really a rabid racist or anything, but if anything, fairly typical of a white conservative of the time. I remember it was a "big deal" when my oldest sister dated a Jewish guy. Also a big deal when she eventually married a Catholic (this was in the early to mid-1960's). Many years later, there was a couple that were very close friends of my parents and the husband was black and the wife was white (and German). I watched my dad's views towards things like that go through quite a transformation over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2A_Tom View Post
    FTFY
    It's hard for us to realizie, that our parents were still growing up, at the same time, we as kids were. My dad was also very Archie Bunker like, or probably more like Clint Eastwood from "Gran Torino". Life long Democrat, and pretty much just set in his ways.

My parents divorced in the early '70s, which ended our Catholic education. I spent all my weekends with my dad, and one Friday night, dad and I went to pick up a pizza. We ran into my third sister and her new boyfriend at the pizza shop. I was maybe 10 at the time, and I thought the new boyfriend seemed nice enough. Dad was cordial, but even I could tell something was up, I just didn't know what the big deal was.

The new boyfriend was black. They got married a couple years later, and dad refused to attend. The older siblings and their spouses attended, but there was some grumbling, to say the least.

Dad came around eventually. Basically everybody grew to love "John" because he was a great guy, and race had nothing to do with it. He was married to my sister for 40 years until she passed away last year.

People are always growing and changing.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KJQ6945 View Post
    People are always growing and changing.
    Brother if you only knew.....
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Mommy called the police...

The mother contacted police because she was worried about her son owning the weapon given his age, maturity level and lack of experience handling such a firearm, attorneys Chris Ayres and R. Jack Ayres said.
    https://www.kvia.com/crime/el-paso-s...gun/1106944017

Mommy didn't give a name. Mommy had 21 years to instill some maturity in the fruit of her loins.
    When seconds matter the 2nd Amendment matters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KittySlayer View Post
    Mommy called the police...

https://www.kvia.com/crime/el-paso-s...gun/1106944017

Mommy didn't give a name. Mommy had 21 years to instill some maturity in the fruit of her loins.
    To me this article screamed "red flag laws could've saved lives" agenda...

User Info Menu

This was my experience too. My dad grew up in the late 1910s/early 1920s, in South Carolina. He pretty much had the attitude you'd expect, but as he aged, he changed. My sister married a Mexican-American and my dad's biggest objection, at least openly, was that cultural differences would take a toll on the marriage, which is what happened. They were divorced within a few years. I'm not going to say that he completely changed from the culture of his youth. He had his moments. But he did change.

People often evolve with society. I don't have the same political viewpoints I had when I was young. As you get older, life wears away at your youthful idealism, and hopefully, you experience enough lessons to teach you that what's real is usually more important to you than what you thought was ideal.

-spreading the word to end the r-word is retarded
    -activism is retarded because, what if you’re full of ****?

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast