New To Indiana - The Quick & Dirty to IN Gun rules, norms, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    I promise I've searched around, but wanted to get your take on Indiana norms for gun transactions and related info.

1) What's the requirements for a private transaction in Indiana? Do I have to see a permit? Anything funky that I should know? I've lived in several states from sane to Commiefornia, and I just want to be sure that a state that bans happy hour and makes me get fingerprinted for a permit that costs twice as much as my old states doesn't have any gun law traps?

2) What's the typical format for buying and selling around here? Best platform? Armslist looked pretty dry. I never bothered with the MeWe's and what not. My new gun room is about a third of the size of the old and some stuff may have to go.

3) Does a no gun zone sign carry the force of law in Indiana? Meaning, it is enforceable or is it just a stupid sign?

4) Are you allowed to carry while hunting in this state?

5) How the hell is the hunting in this state? Deer specifically.

6) Any stupid quirks in the carry law here?

7) Where the hell do you shoot a rifle further than 100 yards in Central Indiana? I'm in Carmel, for reference.

8) Thanks for the patience. My new job is full of liberals and people who think assault weapons are common and bad. I don't have many folks to chat about this with yet. I appreciate the time!

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Depending where you came from, you might want to take the freedoms in the Hoosier state in measured doses. If you find yourself getting giddy and light headed please sit down in a stable stance, hold your head and smile like a Cheshire Cat !!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I promise I've searched around, but wanted to get your take on Indiana norms for gun transactions and related info.

1) What's the requirements for a private transaction in Indiana? Do I have to see a permit? Anything funky that I should know? I've lived in several states from sane to Commiefornia, and I just want to be sure that a state that bans happy hour and makes me get fingerprinted for a permit that costs twice as much as my old states doesn't have any gun law traps?

2) What's the typical format for buying and selling around here? Best platform? Armslist looked pretty dry. I never bothered with the MeWe's and what not. My new gun room is about a third of the size of the old and some stuff may have to go.

3) Does a no gun zone sign carry the force of law in Indiana? Meaning, it is enforceable or is it just a stupid sign?

7) Where the hell do you shoot a rifle further than 100 yards in Central Indiana? I'm in Carmel, for reference.

8) Thanks for the patience. My new job is full of liberals and people who think assault weapons are common and bad. I don't have many folks to chat about this with yet. I appreciate the time!
    Hello HKFan, welcome to INGO, the Great State of Indiana, and the United States of America.

Don't sell to a prohibited possessor. An LTCH is a poor man's 4473, or so I've heard here at INGO ;)

I personally recommend getting 50 quality posts (or spend $20 to be a site supporter) and going to the INGO classifieds.

No with a caveat. If it states that it equates to criminal trespass, walk away. I have yet to see one like that. The "No Berettas" or "No Flareguns" or "No whatever the thing is on the Chuck E Cheese" sign, no.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf also check out Indiana Code 35-47

I take it you mean the 9mm while deer hunting? I'll defer to the hunter/carriers

Lottsa deer

See above link and IC 35-47

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

Choose the caliber of your choice... Chevy, Ford, etc.

Gas stations sell detailed maps of hunting areas.

Pick up your license at the BMV.

Purple text is used on INGO to highlight sarcasm or lame attempts at humor.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That's refreshing. When I was stationed in South Carolina, we had to mix our own drinks at the 'social clubs' with mini-bottles. This is a few, but not many, steps above that.

SC is all kinds of strange on both gun and liquor laws. The only south-eastern State where the Indiana LTCH has no reciprocity.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Don't sell to a felon or prohibited person, or a non-resident. The rest is your preference. I prefer cash and a handshake.

INGO classifieds :-)

Just a sign.

4) Are you allowed to carry while hunting in this state? Yes

5) How the hell is the hunting in this state? Deer specifically. No idea.

6) Any stupid quirks in the carry law here? Not really. Indiana a a bit "free-er" than most states. Our definition of "school" can be a bit broad. State preemption of local ordinances leads to some local confusion, and our courts haven't helped clear it up. Stuff can still be "posted" as long as it isn't enforced. Open Carry isn't all that unusual, especially outside of the larger cities/towns. Just saw someone at the local gas station the other day. No one cares...

7) Where the hell do you shoot a rifle further than 100 yards in Central Indiana? I'm in Carmel, for reference. No Idea.

Welcome to Indiana. Get your lifetime LTCH and carry on.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Glad you made it to Indiana!

Be aware that different rules apply during firearms deer season for public land and private regarding type of rifle. Lots of deer in the state some of the public areas get crowded. Need to start looking now if you wanna Hunt this fall.

BTW
    My condolences for working with liberals!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Welcome, you have just not thought out the happy hour complaint. Indiana liquor law does not allow the selling of alcohol based on time of day. This means that if a place offers specials, they are available all day, not just 4-6 PM. Since many chains offer the same specials accross state lines we get them all day here, then to compete, local based do the same. Not sure where folks think we citizens lose on this. What does crack me up is restaurants that hide the drink specials menu at 7 PM.

I remember when they passed the law, local news would go to bars and show people at the bar at 6:50 PM with 8 drinks for the rest of the night because they loaded up before the price change.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Depending where you came from, you might want to take the freedoms in the Hoosier state in measured doses. If you find yourself getting giddy and light headed please sit down in a stable stance, hold your head and smile like a Cheshire Cat !!
    This happened to me when I moved here from a very Anti 2A state on the East Coast over a decade ago. I still smile every time I pick up a firearm in Indiana. Peace. Out.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Before you complain too much about Indiana Gunlaws please consider that a lot of us worked very hard to keep this as gun friendly as it is. I shoot long range out to 1000 yards all over central Indiana and Illinois. If you decide as a permanent resident that you can help us at the Statehouse we will be glad to have you.

Dimik

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2018
    Mishawaka
    Don't know if it was just some anomaly or not, but when I moved to IN last year and applied for LTCH, I could not apply for a lifetime one. Wasn't even an option. 4 years only. Maybe it was a fluke, but still...

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Before you complain too much about Indiana Gunlaws please consider that a lot of us worked very hard to keep this as gun friendly as it is. I shoot long range out to 1000 yards all over central Indiana and Illinois. If you decide as a permanent resident that you can help us at the Statehouse we will be glad to have you.
    I have been a volunteer registered lobbyist, had several op-Ed’s published, and spent many an hour working to restore the rights of gun owners. Believe me, I get it.
    It’s kind of thankless and some of our people flat out suck to deal with. I’ve worked on coordinated efforts in 3 states and gut fuzzy gray areas sometimes on whats where.

and FYI on the other post, I already for the lifetime permit. It wasn’t too bad and took about 3 weeks. Not sure why the feel the need to do fingerprints here.

Top Bottom