• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Just watched the movie "Sargent Stubby" about a dog in WWI.

The problem is they are using '03-a3's instead of '03 or 1917's.

The story was lost to me because I couldn't get over them going to all the trouble of drawing a WWII rifle in a WWI movie...

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have the same problem calling out fake, or wrong things in movies.
    I do not watch many movies, or much tv.
    Enjoy it for what it is, or read a book.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

The story was lost to me because I couldn't get over them going to all the trouble of drawing a WWII rifle in a WWI movie...
    Naked F-4s dropping napalm in Nam? The A-10's GAU-8 making a sound like a machine gun? I know what you mean.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

Movies are made in Hollywood..

Hollywood is far left

the fact they they left guns in a movie about WWI is a victory!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

I wish I had a picture perfect mind.
    To see the difference.
    All I know about the 03 is it is a 3006 bolt action.
    does anyone have photos of the difference.

I did my research and found the difference.
    OMG you have sharp eyes.
    US_WWI_rifle_periscope_attachment.jpeg
    I also found this,

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I wonder if the linkage for the trigger pull in those periscope rifles was any better than today's bullpups...

Just a thought.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I wish I had a picture perfect mind.
    To see the difference.
    All I know about the 03 is it is a 3006 bolt action.
    does anyone have photos of the difference.

I did my research and found the difference.
    OMG you have sharp eyes.
    View attachment 79087
    I also found this,

Many times they put those rear receiver mounted sights right in the middle of the screen. Those sights were an improvement as it significantly increased the sight radius of the weapon. But seriously, it isn't as if they had to go purchase the weapons, just draw them!

This is how people think Sgt York captured the Germans with an '03 and a Luger, from the movie. In reality he had a 1911 and a 1917. When the movie was made the 1911 they had would not consistently cycle on the blanks but the Luger would. The rifle they had shown earlier in the film as a '03 which is accurate but later in France he was given the "English gun" (Model of 1917) which he was not so fond.

The 1917 had the rear mounted sights which was "copied" when they went to the '03-a3 but that was another war...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    How about the last Star Wars movie where they inked in Carrie Fisher? Starts off with bombers in space lumbering in (from the weight I suppose) to try and drop bombs in zero gravity.

Meanwhile, the heroine fell down an access tunnel and apparently injured her back to where she couldn't move but could kick the ladder to have the control fall to her in time to make very loud booms in space. Gawd...

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Yep, you're too picky! Hollywood doesn't consider it important because 99% of the movie-goers will never know the difference, anyway. That, of course, is based on the unlikely assumption that movie-makers know the difference. It's a frikken movie!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A different version of a rifle wouldn't bother me much.

Using something like a Patton or tank as a Panther or Tiger though, that bugged me.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I watched "Mising in Action" the other night and laughed when Chuck and the rescued MIA's got in a jeep and drove off to the soundtrack of an evinrude outboard! It even shifted gears and everything!:rockwoot::laugh:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    How about the last Star Wars movie where they inked in Carrie Fisher? Starts off with bombers in space lumbering in (from the weight I suppose) to try and drop bombs in zero gravity.

Meanwhile, the heroine fell down an access tunnel and apparently injured her back to where she couldn't move but could kick the ladder to have the control fall to her in time to make very loud booms in space. Gawd...

Space bombs have artificial gravity generators precisely so they can drop. DUH!!:rolleyes::laugh:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Or a character getting in a shootout with a semi-automatic pistol, then popping out the magazine and seeing one cartridge in it.
    Then they shoot ONE shot and the slide stays open.
    I saw this last night on Mannix.
    So lame. :laugh:

On of the stupidest examples of this I remember is watching Mike Hammer, and he shot several shots from his 45.
    Then he popped out the magazine, it had one cartridge left and he said "only one shot left".
    He shoots one shot and kills the bad guy.
    THEN he dramatically racks the slide and ejects what HAD to be an unfired cartridge. :laugh:
    His REAL last shot.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    A different version of a rifle wouldn't bother me much.

Using something like a Patton or tank as a Panther or Tiger though, that bugged me.

That was super common when I was a kid (1960's & 1970'), movie makers put NO effort into getting anything that even looked like a German tank.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The majority of old movies and tv westerns show the Colt Peacemaker being used before it was produced. There is a tv series on now. I can't remember the name. Maybe it's "Mysteries at the Museum", but invariably they show poorly acted segments, supposedly showing a soundbite of history and they seem to go out of their way to show the guns in the wrong setting. That bugs me some.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I wonder if the linkage for the trigger pull in those periscope rifles was any better than today's bullpups...

Just a thought.

My first thought was the recoil action.
    The leverage would have thrown the rifle so far up.
    It would be shooting over the mountain.
    My second thought was the trigger pull.
    You would need a motorcycle brake handle.
    The third was it moving so much.
    How could you keep a sight picture.
    If it was platform mounted.
    I could see it working.
    Not shoulder mounted.
    Looking at the picture again.
    The procedure needed to chamber the next shot.
    I would like to see this used with a M1 Garand.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have that problem too. I can't stand watching a movie where the bad guys, or even good guys, fire 100 rounds from a 30 round mag, or when they have sustained fire from an AK, or M16, or any other iconic full auto and they don't run out of ammo after a couple of seconds given a 30 round capacity at 600 rounds per minute. As a pilot and aircraft mechanic went nuts when the macho mechanic in the movie Airport where the 707 got stuck in the snow and the mechanic jumps in and tries to start the engines using engine 1. My wife nearly beat me senseless when I started yelling that only engines 2 and 3 have starters. 1 and 4 get started from 2 and 3!. Yes, big deal to the average person. But to us... :rolleyes:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Just watched a movie on Netflix called "Sandcastle" about the Iraq invasion in 2003. They had a whole bunch of tanks, referred to as "Abrams." They were all M60 Patton tanks. Tanks had absolutely no part in the movie, except for a small scene, and it had nothing to do with the story. Should have just left them out.

Really bugged me. The rest of the movie was actually pretty good.

Top Bottom