• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I saw the CBS 4 news covering a story about " Wonder Hoodies and bullet proof backpacks" Kid size hoodies are $450. The article linked below states specs "[FONT=&quot]Meets NIJ IIIA standards for bulletproofing" weighs 4 to 9 pounds.

[/FONT]Are the sheeple parents really expecting;
    1) the kids will wear these
    2) their kids are protected against mass shootings?

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2019/04/wonder-hoodie-bulletproof-hoodie/

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    1) Some parents (if not most) are willing to try to protect their children at any cost.
    2) Someone is going to try and profit if a market is present.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1) Some parents (if not most) are willing to try to protect their children at any cost.
    2) Someone is going to try and profit if a market is present.

And that's capitalism. Not a bad thing to let the market bring products/solutions people are willing to pay for. I'm sure someone will mention the word privilege, etc, especially in the vein of personal safety, etc, but same can be said of having the $ to purchase a firearm, etc. There is a cost and priorities, etc.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I saw the CBS 4 news covering a story about " Wonder Hoodies and bullet proof backpacks" Kid size hoodies are $450. The article linked below states specs "[FONT=&amp]Meets NIJ IIIA standards for bulletproofing" weighs 4 to 9 pounds.

[/FONT]Are the sheeple parents really expecting;
    1) the kids will wear these
    2) their kids are protected against mass shootings?

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2019/04/wonder-hoodie-bulletproof-hoodie/

Most parents complain because their kids' backpacks are so heavy from having to carry their books home for homework. Wonder how they'd react to hoodies or backpacks with AR-500 plates in them.

I had to take my books home too when I was a kid. And we didn't even have no stinkin' backpacks! We had to keep that pile of books tucked under our little arms! Not to mention walking to and from school barefoot in the snow... uphill both ways. ;)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    There was a vendor selling this kind of stuff at NRAAM this year and I stopped in the booth to chat. Once of the things they had that I couldn't understand was a rifle bag that accepted armor plates.

I asked the sales guy if he thought a mass shooter would target a gun range or some other place where folks were likely to be carrying rifle bags. And if so, wouldn't one just remove their rifle and shoot back?

It just seemed so gimmicky to me. Now for use at a public range to protect one's self from other folks on the line that can't seem to keep their muzzle down range? There might be a use case there.

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    I saw the news story too, they said it would not stop a rifle round. At best I would hope it would slow it enough and minimize damage.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Protect their kids? That's easy.
    All they have to do is reject the satanic culture and go back to Christ.
    If they want to stick with rot then rot they got.

Will they? Not.

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    If it's NIJ IIIA, then it's not going to slow down any centerfire rifle round.

They didn't say what they were. The media has no clue, they just wanted to get the story out there and move on to the next one as usual.
    I don't have little ones anymore but I think I would consider something like this depending on their age if only to make them feel a little safer. I realize the effectiveness is limited but so is carrying a 6 round .380 in my pocket - but it still makes me "feel" a little safer.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Most parents complain because their kids' backpacks are so heavy from having to carry their books home for homework. Wonder how they'd react to hoodies or backpacks with AR-500 plates in them.

I had to take my books home too when I was a kid. And we didn't even have no stinkin' backpacks! We had to keep that pile of books tucked under our little arms! Not to mention walking to and from school barefoot in the snow... uphill both ways. ;)

I'm resisting the urge to make a one-room schoolhouse comment here, DD :laugh: No backpacks in the class of 82 (single A, K-12 one building) or class of 05 (AAA school in Virginia.) Class of 15 at Avon? My youngest destroyed 2 backpacks a year throughout high school. With all the books he carried I think it could've stopped rifle rounds, thankfully never had to find out.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Protect their kids? That's easy.
    All they have to do is reject the satanic culture and go back to Christ.
    If they want to stick with rot then rot they got.

Will they? Not.

"They"? Who is this ethereal creature? Parents everywhere would love to have a 100% solution, including the parents who already wear denim skirts and Keds. It's not OUR kid's morality or religion in question when the shooting starts.

...but Jesus will not help your kid in a school shooting until it's already over and your kid is dead.

Prayer does not usually stop 5.56x45, though it can't hurt.

Neither can armor.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    It's each individual person making the decision on what they live in; that's what the culture is.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Nobody tell the parents about that study on mass shooting wound dynamics. Junior is either going to get winged on the run and escape with a non-life threatening wound, or he's going to get hammered four or five times to the face and chest with a caliber that ignores soft armor. Fewer than 1-in-10 victims killed in mass shootings died of wounds that were theoretically survivable. There is no armor that protects you from being repeatedly shot in the head while you're hiding or begging for your life on your knees, which is probably how your kid is gonna die if they die in a mass shooting.

Take that money, spend it on a summer sports program that gets your kid doing a lot of cardio, and then have a simple and realistic conversation when school starts again. But, no, people don't want to do that. People want to throw money away on buying a pleasant fiction that assuages their fears, and there will never be a shortage of people willing to sell them that fiction.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Take that money, spend it on a summer sports program that gets your kid doing a lot of cardio, and then have a simple and realistic conversation when school starts again. But, no, people don't want to do that. People want to throw money away on buying a pleasant fiction that assuages their fears, and there will never be a shortage of people willing to sell them that fiction.

Exactly!

We tell our children to look both ways before crossing the street, etc. It is time to teach them situational awareness too.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    NKBJ, I agree with you. Anyone else can send me all the eye rolls that they want.

Our culture is what it is now. All the blame, finger pointing, hand wringing, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth doesn't change where we are at socially or as a culture. We have to deal with what we have.

Should we choose moral teaching that places personal responsibility and respect for each other at the forefront? Or should we opt for a secular humanist approach where the blanket message is that we should just love and respect each other's differences?

On the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference. A little deeper look reveals one side that says, do what makes you happy as long as you don't encroach on someone else's pursuit of happiness and the other restricts behavior through self-discipline.

All I can say is that witnessing what 50 years of the one approach has done to our society and culture should provide ample evidence of what fruit it bears.

Top Bottom