• Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    3-D printed upper in .22lr.

IMG_20190126_123007-660x224.jpg

(Video demonstrating it being test fired)

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/08/09/3d-printed-ar-15-22-caliber-upper/

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    my daughter printed me a extended magazine release for my ruger precision rimfire, i lasted about 2 range trips, on the third trip it broke after 10 rounds, I think 3d printing is a thing, but just not my thing, I couldn't imagine pulling little pieces of plastic out of my face after god knows how many rounds (could be any number including the 1st round) it'd take for that upper to explode!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We print all kinds of fixtures for assembling parts where I work. They don't get the beating that a firearm dishes out but they take a pretty good beating and build 1000's of assemblies for quite a long time.

A lot of it depends on the quality of the printer and selecting the best resin for the job.

We make some fixtures that have to be within .002" without any additional machining.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Someday the 3d printers will be known as the first primitive replicators. It is coming... plastic now, metal or mixes of materials cannot be that far down the road.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Someday the 3d printers will be known as the first primitive replicators. It is coming... plastic now, metal or mixes of materials cannot be that far down the road.

Metal 3d printing has been a thing for many years now.

[video=youtube;lwbNOo2aBGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwbNOo2aBGA[/video]

Look up solid concept's 1911.

SpaceX's Super Draco rocket engines are fully 3d printed.

BsH0-qjCEAAGuwD-640x501.jpg

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    So how long before the files are out there to print whatever weapon you want with metal?

I am into classic cars, some guys are reproducing no longer available small parts with these printers. Stuff like interior knobs, trim, exterior trim and emblems.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    The era of 3D printed resins and polymers belonged to dreamers; the age of useful 3D printed metal technology will migrate much more slowly to those without wealth as it proves lucrative to those who control it.

[video=youtube_share;R5mhUm6NzqE]https://youtu.be/R5mhUm6NzqE[/video]

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The era of 3D printed resins and polymers belonged to dreamers; the age of useful 3D printed metal technology will migrate much more slowly to those without wealth as it proves lucrative to those who control it.

[video=youtube_share;R5mhUm6NzqE]https://youtu.be/R5mhUm6NzqE[/video]

While still expensive, it will still be far cheaper than the traditional tooling the average person would have to acquire to start a manufacturing business.

I think as time moves forward you're going to see a lot of startups based on 3d printed manufacturing, whether metal or otherwise.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    While still expensive, it will still be far cheaper than the traditional tooling the average person would have to acquire to start a manufacturing business.

I think as time moves forward you're going to see a lot of startups based on 3d printed manufacturing, whether metal or otherwise.

we have plastic injection molds from $50k to $500k and above. And our largest press is a 1450 ton. Which by the way costs $1 million. So, yes once the technology and speed improves 3D printing will open up all kinds of opportunities. We don’t use it for mass production but our automation shop has it running most of the time making fixtures prototypes and doodads for their desks.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    my daughter printed me a extended magazine release for my ruger precision rimfire, i lasted about 2 range trips, on the third trip it broke after 10 rounds, I think 3d printing is a thing, but just not my thing, I couldn't imagine pulling little pieces of plastic out of my face after god knows how many rounds (could be any number including the 1st round) it'd take for that upper to explode!

It all depends on the printer and the material, the fact that its 3d printed in and of itself is almost irrelevant. They print rocket engines with 3d printers, getting a mag release is just a matter of getting the right printer and material.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    So how long before the files are out there to print whatever weapon you want with metal?

I am into classic cars, some guys are reproducing no longer available small parts with these printers. Stuff like interior knobs, trim, exterior trim and emblems.

The issue is not the files but the printer itself and the material. My <$1000 printer can make basic solids out of plastic that are reasonably strong. If I got it really dialed in and ponied up for the good material I could make something as strong/stronger as any manufactured plastic part... upper or lower but not a bolt or barrel.

We have started using metal printers at work that I have no doubt are better than the ones those guys made the 1911 from. There were a lot of zeros in the price.

The material we're using is stainless but it starts in dust form... not like household dust, super fine dust. Like full environmental suit, pressure-controlled sealed room, worse-than-asbestos if you get it on you fine. couple zeros in the price for it too.

BUT when it comes to things like classic cars it's not just the knobs and emblems: we have some of our vintage (70 year old) indycars that had a water pump fail... one-off hand-machined part then. not exactly something you can get from autozone or even the NOS-parts warehouse. scanned the old one in one lab, built a CAD design, sent that to the printer, couple hours later viola car's running again.

Top Bottom