• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    CQB Gun (in this case) = "Close Quarters Bear" gun!!!

I have an old buddy from high school that is still living in the People's Republic of California, and he and his wife just retired to a nice "cabin" up in the foothills. His door camera picks up bears prowling most nights, and asked me what I would suggest he get for some close quarters protection for he and his wife.

This is not for hunting, only close up protection.

I honestly have no idea what will stop a bear, but I know I have heard that most pistols won't do anything but make them mad.

Any suggestions I can pass along to him?

Thanks!

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    Have him consider the following as a thought experiment. Or perform it in reality, if circumstances allow.

Grab a buddy, a four wheeler, a 100 yard rope, and a five gallon bucket. Tie one end of the rope to the bucket, the other end to the ATV, and have your buddy drag the bucket towards you at thirty miles an hour. The bucket, bouncing and bobbing, simulates the size and movement of a grizzly bears head as it charges you.
    Using your choice of bear gun, how many holes do you think you can put in that bucket in the however-many seconds it takes to cross that distance?

I, personally, would want a large bore Armalite (EDIT: .45 Bushmaster or similar) or any other high capacity, (EDIT: """high capacity""") selfloading carbine.
    As your buddy's living in California precludes that option, I wish him the best of luck, he's going to need it.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Per Colt, a .25 ACP will do just fine.

KGrHqF_ocE8Vt-g_QkBPSwfZH0cg_60_57.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I would love to know the actual details of this. Did they wound the bear with something else and dispatch it with this pistol thereby claiming it was what actually killed the bear?

Same here. I've been doing a bit of searching for "Bear Hunt in Folder No. 65". Haven't found it yet.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Seriously....

ZyZob5z.jpg

Oh..... California.....
    Tell him to run. CA won't allow you to protect yourself. Besides, if he killed a bear, they would probably arrest him for murder. :(

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Well, since it's California, he's going to need a gun that fits the following criteria:

1. Must not be able to fire any ammunition larger than .38 inches in diameter
    2. Must not be able to fire any ammunition smaller than .40 inches in diameter
    3. Must not be able to accept any magazine or ammunition feeding device which can hold ammunition
    4. Must not be able to feed from an internal or fixed magazine
    5. Must not be able to feed from a cylinder
    6. Must not be able to be held and fired from one hand
    7. Must not be able to be held and fired with two hands
    8. Must not be able to accept any variety of sighting device or optics
    9. Must not present a scary or intimidating overall appearance

So, I would suggest you make a list of firearms that fit all those criteria, then choose one that's good for bears.

Also, keep in mind, it is illegal to kill any wild or domesticated animal in California, and self defense is entirely prohibited against the human population.

Good luck!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Is this something he wants to be able to carry, or just keep by the door?

I just got back from a trip to Montana where I stayed with friends who advised me that bears (blacks) were numerous in the vicinity.

In addition a trip to Glacier National Park was scheduled where grizzlies are known to be in residence.

I carried (in addition to one piece dedicated to the dispatching of bipedal vermin) a Smith Model 29, 4" bbl, loaded with specialized 305 grain bear loads.

Enough? Dunno. Never had a dustup with a griz, but the two guns combined represented as much weight as I was willing to carry.

I wasn't concerned.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    As it's california I think his interests would be best served by a 12 gauge loaded with slugs. Shotguns will probably be the last class of guns confiscated in that state and up close slugs are very deadly. He also should have some plan together if he shoots one as the state of CA's equivalent of the DNR will investigate him and he can expect to be pilloried in the press.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Do they always run around together? If thats the case a .22 is all he needs.

He doesnt need to outrun the bear, he just needs to outrun her.
    :laugh:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Seriously....

Oh..... California.....
    Tell him to run. CA won't allow you to protect yourself. Besides, if he killed a bear, they would probably arrest him for murder. :(
    You're supposed to let the bear eat you in Cali.

State Law.

Top Bottom