Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Naming Guns?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Naming Guns?

Does anyone name their guns? I have several SKS carbines and thought about naming each after a historic female warrior from the same country as each gun. Or maybe just finding a female name from each country, historic or not, and using that. For example, for my Romy I'm thinking of using the name "Ileana", which looks like it means "torch" and for my Chinese rifle using the name "Jing Fei" which apparently means "quite not".

And to go a step farther, what about scratching the names into the stocks, sorta like trench art? Is that going too far?
    Dave

User Info Menu

I did name my guns. I'd go with whatever name the gun spoke to me during our first range trip. Then the wife came along, and she didn't like the idea. (She never said so out loud, but I was smitten with her and played it safe)

The scratching the name in the stock sounds cool, but I couldn't personally do it. But it would be cool if someone else did it. Lol

Plinker

User Info Menu

Nope, I dont name my cars either

User Info Menu

Naming them? Scratching names into stocks...not so much. If it had been done to the rifle by a soldier in a actual war that is one thing, but just doing it yourself...IMHO not the same. Just my
    " YOU SERIOUS CLARK ? "

User Info Menu

I use a name for my concealed carry pistol so that the wife can ask if I am carrying. FWIW, the Sig P365 is "little dude" and the Glock 17 is the "big dog" same for the 1911.

User Info Menu

I name all of my guns.

Call each one a "piece of ****"

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Winamac View Post
    Naming them? Scratching names into stocks...not so much. If it had been done to the rifle by a soldier in a actual war that is one thing, but just doing it yourself...IMHO not the same. Just my
    Thanks, I'm a little hestant to do it. Problem is there is usually no way to tell if trench art is genuine. I have an old beat up SKS with something scratched into the stock that I can't quite make out (could be soldier's name), and some lines scratched into it as well, maybe indicating number of kills. All the wood on this gun almost looks like it went through a wood chipper a couple hundred years ago, even though it's only about sixty! But without knowing the history I don't really know if that is genuine trench art.

I use bright colored long zip ties as chamber flags. Maybe I should just attach a small tag to those with the name on it.
    Dave

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dvd1955 View Post
    Does anyone name their guns? I have several SKS carbines and thought about naming each after a historic female warrior from the same country as each gun. Or maybe just finding a female name from each country, historic or not, and using that. For example, for my Romy I'm thinking of using the name "Ileana", which looks like it means "torch" and for my Chinese rifle using the name "Jing Fei" which apparently means "quite not".

And to go a step farther, what about scratching the names into the stocks, sorta like trench art? Is that going too far?
    No
    Yes

User Info Menu

I didn't even name my kids.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

User Info Menu

The .62 bore TC Hawken rifle is "The Rattler" because that's what it does to the windows.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast