• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Thinking I do not have one and now might not be a bad time to remedy that.
    i kind of have it narrowed down to 3
    A 10/22
    Ruger pistol caliber Carbine
    Ruger take down AR

The AR is a bit pricy though. Thoughts or any others that may be worth a look?

Thanks

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Depending on what you want to do with it (.22 vs. pistol caliber), I'd probably go with the 10/22. Or you could get the Henry AR-7. ;)

7257054f6b0ffe75492d7ae20e925eba.jpg

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    What are you wanting to do with it?

Hunting for small game; 10/22.
    Wanting something for protection against bigger two legged critters; PCC (I like my KelTec Sub 2k).
    Bug out? I'd probably build an AR pistol rather than a take down. Those Ruger are cool if you can find one but the price was pretty high. Target Sports in Sheridan had one ~6 months ago for ~$1200.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    What are you wanting to do with it?

Hunting for small game; 10/22.
    Wanting something for protection against bigger two legged critters; PCC (I like my KelTec Sub 2k).
    Bug out? I'd probably build an AR pistol rather than a take down. Those Ruger are cool if you can find one but the price was pretty high. Target Sports in Sheridan had one ~6 months ago for ~$1200.[/QUOTE]

Farm use\ Bug out lately i have been working a lot doing fencing etc to expand our livestock. The other night counted no less than 6 coyotes. And they did not seem to be nervous at all. Ended up running them off with the 4 wheeler.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Would you have enough time to un-case then assemble a take down rifle and get rounds onto a Yote? How far away are they?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Would you have enough time to un-case then assemble a take down rifle and get rounds onto a Yote? How far away are they?

last encounter was about 300 feet away. So i think there would be time. Odd thing is that they do not seem to be afraid of people. Makes me wonder.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    id think that even at 300 feet away, the ruger sr556 would take some time to put together, add that to the fact that ruger has dropped if from from the catalog takes it "off the menu" (you can still find them used)

as for speed of assembly, id have to give the advantage to the ruger 10/22 td or the ruger pc9, but still add that to the time it takes to take it our of the case put it together and load it, that still takes time

the process for the ruger's (pc and 10/22), unzip backpack(the pc9 doesn't even come with a backpack), pull bolt back, line up, twist to lock, release bolt, aim fire, unload, pull bolt back, pull takedown lever, twist, remove barrel, put back in case and zip it up.

and the sr556 is even worse! remove from backpack, insert barrel into upper, twist to lock, insert bolt (or pull bolt back if it's already in the upper), line up lower and upper, push pins, insert mag, charge, fire, unload, pull bolt back, pull takedown, twist barrel, remove from the upper, remove upper from lower, slide it all back in the backpack and zip.

I know you didn't ask, but how about a ar15 pistol? unzip backpack, insert mag, charge, fire, unload, put back in backpack, done, at 100 yards, the 223 in a pistol, would be better than a 9mm or 22 longrifle, both in accuracy and knockdown, and with the current market, you can get one about the same price as a 10/22 takedown, and cheaper than a ruger pc9, and a whole lot cheaper than a sr556 (we just sold a nib unfired sr556 for 1300, but it had a eotech red dot sight on it)

just an idea

Top Bottom