• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tcause17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2019
    Sellersburg
    I opened my safe the other day and noticed a decent amount of surface rust on a couple of my long guns. I keep them clean and there's no noticeable moisture inside of the safe. It all came off when I cleaned them again. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to prevent it?

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Install a safe dehumidifier such as a Goldenrod. It raises the temperature inside the box so moisture condensation is minimized.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yeah, living in the Ohio valley you might want to reconsider your choice of preservative. I use RIG on the ones in deep storage, either Breakfree Collector or Hornady One Shot on my regular/occasional use ones. Been doing that for a while now and no rust even on the ones I've checked recently after 5 years in storage.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    On top of a dehumidifier, an old timer told me to soak a rag in rust preventative oil and leave the rag in the safe. Re-oil it twice a year. That and wipe down the guns yearly

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    On top of a dehumidifier, an old timer told me to soak a rag in rust preventative oil and leave the rag in the safe. Re-oil it twice a year. That and wipe down the guns yearly

+ use that rag to wipe down any metal surface after anyone touches them because of sweat and natural oils from hands.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I run a golden rod and keep 2 large desiccant bags plus the oiled rags on the shelf (not soaked but used). Long guns that don't get used frequently get silicone bags. I have a couple Parkerized guns/barrels that flash rust terribly. I've never had to re-activate the desiccant.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom