Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Surface Rust Issues

I opened my safe the other day and noticed a decent amount of surface rust on a couple of my long guns. I keep them clean and there's no noticeable moisture inside of the safe. It all came off when I cleaned them again. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to prevent it?

tsm
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Install a safe dehumidifier such as a Goldenrod. It raises the temperature inside the box so moisture condensation is minimized.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks! I'm definitely going to look into that. I was completely shocked when I pulled them out and saw the rust.

Expert

User Info Menu

Rust is a bad omen, it means you need to give those misbehaving firearms to me for safe keeping...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tsm View Post
    Install a safe dehumidifier such as a Goldenrod. It raises the temperature inside the box so moisture condensation is minimized.
    ...or this...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo59 View Post
    Rust is a bad omen, it means you need to give those misbehaving firearms to me for safe keeping...
    Yikes I don't know. I accidentally just had a boating accident and lost them all...

User Info Menu

I've had good luck with Ballistol and the Goldenrod keeping rust away.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Buy a Birchwood Casey R.I.G. rag. Sheepskin wiper that is impregnated with rust inhibiting grease. Get the dehumidifier too.
    1911s are like Glocks except they are for grown-ups.

User Info Menu

Yeah, living in the Ohio valley you might want to reconsider your choice of preservative. I use RIG on the ones in deep storage, either Breakfree Collector or Hornady One Shot on my regular/occasional use ones. Been doing that for a while now and no rust even on the ones I've checked recently after 5 years in storage.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

User Info Menu

On top of a dehumidifier, an old timer told me to soak a rag in rust preventative oil and leave the rag in the safe. Re-oil it twice a year. That and wipe down the guns yearly
    Ecclesiates 12:13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast