Take a person to the range for the first time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    A coworker has expressed interest in going to the range with me and shooting for the first time. I'm conflicted because I don't know him well and work with the person, but I would like to help someone that shows interest.

How do you size up someone who is interested before you invite them to go shooting? I would supply hearing and eye protection, one of my .22lr target pistols, and ammo.

If he had asked me directly to take him to the range I would say not possible at this time and brush him off, he just said he would like to try it sometime.

Thanks for your insights!

Tim.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I've taken a relative, and a family friend to the range as first time shooters this year. My first discussion with them is regarding basic safety and that I won't take them until we sit down and go over basic firearm safety and I'm convinced that they can be safe in the handling of a firearm.

I normally give them hardcopies of the NRA firearm safety brochure, Julie Golob's one sheet safety guide, and another I have which provides the "why" behind the rules.

I then set aside some time to do a hands on familiarization and handling session for any arms we will take to the range.

At the range I point out the range's rules, then go over safety again as we uncase firearms.

Finally, I start with a 22 rifle or 22 single action and work up from there.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    If it's someone you don't really have a good read on or have doubts, refer them to an actual training class. You can always use the excuse that "I'm a decent shot but I don't know how to teach" but I don't think anyone here or in legal circles would fault you for just saying "no" reasons given. Much like an FFL can refuse a sale for any reason, you can absolutely refuse to teach or even hand an unloaded gun to someone for any reason.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Not knowing your co-worker's actual demeanor it's hard to say. But I personally try and take newbies up on the chance to show them how to shoot because I feel like it's winning converts to our cause (more shooters, more support for the 2A). I agree with the other posts that firearms safety basics are necessary prior to visiting the range. I like to start off new shooters with a .22LR pistol & rifle (use larger targets to build up their confidence). Then move up to a 9mm pistol and carbine so they can see the difference. You might make a difference in someone's life in a positive way. That person might become a staunch gun rights voter. Though as was stated above if you don't feel the person is safe or if you get a bad vibe then you can always nix the training session.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    You apparently know him enough that you have shared that you are a gun owner and frequent the range on occasion ? ( Unless someone else told him ? )
    I`m always happy to see a "non-gun owner " reach out and show some interest ........especially with the narrative out there that all guns ( and owners ) are bad .
    If you decide to take him .
    I always stress the safety end 1st before anything , as most have pointed out already .....at least practice some dry fire drills to see how he does before live fire .

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I agree with all of the safety advice and general methodology above, but I'm reading the original question as if you're asking if it's even OK to invite the guy. I mean, why wouldn't it be? Are you worried about being castigated into the realm of a crazy gun nut at work and jeopardizing your career or something?

As far as "sizing up" a person before handing them a lethal weapon, they'd have to illustrate an amount of personal responsibility and character to me that instills me with the confidence that they're not going to do anything stupid. I'm sort of in this spot with a work buddy of my own. He owns a firearm (bought on a whim), and strikes me of trustworthy character, but he lacks proper training. He's scatter brained as hell at work and simply doesn't listen to, follow, or understand instructions a disappointingly large amount of the time and is way too much of a "learn by making mistakes" kind of guy. I will not take him shooting, but I'd be happy to train him in a no ammunition in the room (or even a toy gun) type of situation until I feel like he's ready. If he wouldn't like that, then that's OK with me. Honestly, knowing my feelings about him, I just sort of brush it off when the topic comes up. "Yeah man, we should really get to the range sometime"... If he ever pressed me, I'd respond as I did above.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    This is helping. Next time, if there is a next time, he mentions it, I'll suggest a session of training without ammo and see how he does.

Thanks,
    Tim.

Upon reflection, one thing I also always stress to new, or potentially new, shooters is to go ahead and apply for the IN carry permit. There's no reason not to even if they end up never owning a firearm and the lifetime status could change at any point in the future, but I'm hoping we'd all be grandfathered in.

I encourage them to do that just so they don't have to deal with the stupid legal ramifications of transporting vs. "carrying" should they decide to take the next step. My mother has had hers for hers for years now and it's been handy a few times (had a vehicle malfunction once on the way to a job interview and had to call her up for an emergency ride. So her and my firearm where in her car for 3 hours while I was disposed...).

Plus, if the guy actually does it, you know he's more serious than you may be thinking he is now.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I am now a 1911 'style' guy. I bought an air soft, a bb , and a .22 cal. All full size of the 1911. The bb is actually full steel, and 'close' to the same weight. That way I can start a person on handling/ controls, using an air soft in my back yard, then the bb, then if they are still interested, a trip to the range with the 22, and finally before we leave the 9mm. Most folks lie the .22, then when they step up to the recoil of a 9mm, they usually say they have enjoyed it- can say they have shot a gun and that is about it. I only take family and close friends- co-workers do not need to know 'that' much about me.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Depending how serious he is - some people make those comments without actually wanting to go shooting - I'd consider taking him.
    A 20 minute safety + hand-on session (no ammo, not at range) would give you a good idea of his abilities.
    I try to take some new people shooting when possible, and have found that only some like it, but they ALL understand it much better afterwards. (I also don't amek it overtly political unless they start asking questions , or just to clear up misinformation)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom