• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No-one has.
    It's a brand new offering, but not a new idea.

There were smooth-bore .22's all over the place back in the depression era, maybe before.
    I've heard tales of old-timers using them with birdshot to rid themselves of the various pest residing in their barns.
    Several related leaving tiny holes in the barns steel roof.

I hadn't realized I wanted one, until Henry sent me an email about this...

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Smoothbores are not rifled, no twist in the barrel, hence are not rifles. Wayyyyy back around the founding of the republic they were as common (or more) than rifles. Largely due to the fact that one could fire a ball relatively accurately, or load them with shot for small game.

The garden gun is a 19th and 20th century adaptation of this, and as the article mentioned, they were relatively commonplace in the early to mid 20th century.

I like 'em and think every country home should have one behind the back door.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Smoothbores are not rifled, no twist in the barrel, hence are not rifles. Wayyyyy back around the founding of the republic they were as common (or more) than rifles. Largely due to the fact that one could fire a ball relatively accurately, or load them with shot for small game.

The garden gun is a 19th and 20th century adaptation of this, and as the article mentioned, they were relatively commonplace in the early to mid 20th century.

I like 'em and think every country home should have one behind the back door.

ENABLER!

Seriously, I'm having a hard enough time trying to resist...

I call dibs on the first one that shows up in the classifieds here.
    Surely SOMEONE will buy one and decide they don't like it, right?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I watched the Henry video with 22 Plinkster and it looks really cool, but the range looks really short. I'm not sure you could tag a pest from very far away with it. You'd likely just wound it or **** it off, I'd think.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I’ve got a Remington target master 510 smooth bore. Use it in sheds and barns for starling eradication, works good out to about 20-30’ otherwise it’s fairly useless.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    ENABLER!

Seriously, I'm having a hard enough time trying to resist...

I call dibs on the first one that shows up in the classifieds here.
    Surely SOMEONE will buy one and decide they don't like it, right?

We'll just wait on Doddg to jump on, and then off, the bandwagon. Then the race.is on!

I kinda get the idea here, but how is this any different, or better, than say a 20 gauge shotgun for the same purpose?

Let's point one of each at your Dad's barn roof from the inside and find out!

mrm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    the region
    Seems pretty handy to me for pest control, without blowin a hole through your house or barn- could you put a little 22 suppressor on it or would that goof up your tiny pattern?

Top Bottom