• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Another thought on red flag laws is this.

Lets say someone hates you, and wants to kill you or your family members. You have guns so no can do. You need to be disarmed. So said scumbag calls in and red flags you, and has your firearms confiscated. You are now defenseless. Creep does his thing.

This law can be abused by criminals as well.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008

Lets say someone hates you, and wants to kill you or your family members. You have guns so no can do. You need to be disarmed. So said scumbag calls in and red flags you, and has your firearms confiscated. You are now defenseless. Creep does his thing.

You do know that there has to be probable cause, right?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Fortunately we live in the Great State of Indiana and not in Maryland. (PSA: if you live in Maryland, MOVE!!) "Presents a danger to themselves or other"; "is suicidal", "affidavit within 48 hours" here in Indiana is a ways from "show up with a SWAT Team at 0500 after one phone call" like we saw in Maryland.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You do know that there has to be probable cause, right?

Hahahahaha.

No judge will ever reject a red flag order, no matter how flimsy. Any judge would rather order a thousand frivolous confiscations than refuse one and have that person turn out to be a mass shooter. There are zero political consequences to over-confiscating guns.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hahahahaha.

No judge will ever reject a red flag order, no matter how flimsy. Any judge would rather order a thousand frivolous confiscations than refuse one and have that person turn out to be a mass shooter. There are zero political consequences to over-confiscating guns.
    And this is based on opinion or legal knowledge?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    source.gif

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    And this is based on opinion or legal knowledge?

Go ahead, I'll wait for you to find data showing ANY red flag orders have been denied in Maryland, Colorado, or other states that have rushed them into law.

It's a simple question of incentive. Judges have every incentive to approve red flag orders. What incentive do they have to ever deny a single order? "We're just staying on the safe side".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Any Red Flag law must require specific and harsh penalties for wrongful accusations!!!!!

While that is a very good idea, actual practice of such and penalties given could be quite problematic. On top of the fact that there is a whole segment of society that believe they are exempt from the courts giving them penalties.

How many cases do we regularly see where, ANTIFA for example, rarely are prosecuted?

That doesn't even begin to touch on the Obama appointed judges, who were picked because they never did believe in the 2A.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hahahahaha.

Yet they have absolutely NO qualms about releasing violent criminals back out onto the street to continue to commit their crimes after serving only a fraction of their sentence (if they serve any time at all). It has always been my contention that every judge and parole board member should be held personally accountable for the actions of the person they allow to be released earlier. He gets out and kills someone, then they are charged as accessories to murder. Bet there would be a lot more people serving their full terms.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Doggy Daddy may be on to something. On the other hand, I get tired of EVERY politician campaigning on the promise of more time for relatively minor crimes. I get pissed when Jimmy child molester walks out while Johny pot smoker sits in the pokey.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I’ve had judges order guns returned to clearly unstable people many times over the years. I love how everybody is losing their damn mind over “red flag” stuff when this has already been on the books and used for many, many years already. I guess this is what we’re supposed to be outraged at this week?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I’ve had judges order guns returned to clearly unstable people many times over the years. I love how everybody is losing their damn mind over “red flag” stuff when this has already been on the books and used for many, many years already. I guess this is what we’re supposed to be outraged at this week?

How did the process go for these folks to get their firearms returned?
    Did they have to get legal counsel to get this done?
    How long did the process take?
    Were their firearms released right away?
    Did they have to "prove ownership" or anything like that to take possession of their own firearms that had been confiscated?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I don't think this summation is a fair assessment. When we've seen the very same people that called for SWATting carriers (or at the very least only superficially and tepidly criticizing those that did) being the same ones now cheering and excitedly calling for these laws to be passed by the Feds, I think it's a reasonable response to be dubious of how this will all work out. We should always be critical of the federal government reaching its tenticles into areas where they have no business, and especially at a time the democrats are losing their freaking minds trying to pass every gun control law they can dream up.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    How did the process go for these folks to get their firearms returned?
    Did they have to get legal counsel to get this done?
    How long did the process take?
    Were their firearms released right away?
    Did they have to "prove ownership" or anything like that to take possession of their own firearms that had been confiscated?

hpclayto - I am very interested in this as well.

The political winds are not blowing in our direction. I am becoming somewhat convinced that we may not be able to fight back the next wave of gun control coming our way. It just seems to me that there is too much of the population that is asking to have their 2nd amendment rights taken away from them.

If the Indiana Red Flag system is superior to other states, I would like to know more details on how this is working in the real world and how it differs from other states.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I can't speak for how the process went. The only thing I knew about it was writing up the affidavit and putting the guns into evidence. What the judge decides and how the property is returned afterwards is out of my scope of practice.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    hpclayto - I am very interested in this as well.

The political winds are not blowing in our direction. I am becoming somewhat convinced that we may not be able to fight back the next wave of gun control coming our way. It just seems to me that there is too much of the population that is asking to have their 2nd amendment rights taken away from them.

If the Indiana Red Flag system is superior to other states, I would like to know more details on how this is working in the real world and how it differs from other states.
    Only quoted you because your post is germain to why gun legislation is considered the third rail of politics.

Results of the 1994 mid term election saw the Republican have a net gain in the house of 54 seats. The R's gained 7 in the senate. One of the losers was the House majority leader Tom Foley. This was the first time a majority leader got booted. A politicians first job is to stay on the gravy train. For extra credit, the 1994 AWB was fresh in everyones mind. Slick Willie said it was worth the beating. And yet, the sunset in 2004 undid most of it.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Any Red Flag law must require specific and harsh penalties for wrongful accusations!!!!!

But how do you prove it? If the confiscation takes place and nothing bad happens, they must have worked. you can't prove something bad would have happened if they weren't taken away. The victim can claim it was malicious but you're right, on top of it being nearly impossible to verify, there's no repercussion.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I have a big problem with the no due process issue.
    Fifth Amendment:
    "No person shall be...deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law..."

Top Bottom