• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    In response to the letter by Carol Evans concerning the opinion of first responders about "sensible" gun laws, let me assure her that this first responder (law enforcement) regards gun laws as sheer folly, as well as blatantly unconstitutional.

Blaming gun owners for the acts of criminals is akin to blaming automobile manufacturers for the acts of those who drive under the influence. There will always be those among us who misuse technology to the detriment of their fellow citizens. The proper response is to criminalize improper BEHAVIOR, not the possession of inanimate objects, an approach that always proves to be a failure. What did alcohol prohibition accomplish other than giving us the gangster era? What has been the result of our so-called "drug war" (which law enforcement lost before it ever began) other than to take the tropical paradise of Mexico and turn it into a blood-soaked wasteland?

It has been firmly established that armed citizens prevent millions of crimes per year. Let me assure Ms. Evans that the concept of the good guy with a gun is FAR from a myth, and during my professional career when I was asked by citizens what personal actions they could take to prevent crimes in their communities and protect themselves and their loved ones, my response, as a patrolman, sergeant and finally a lieutenant was always the same:

Join the National Rifle Association, get trained and carry a gun.

Lieutenant Harry Thomas

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    In response to the letter by Carol Evans concerning the opinion of first responders about "sensible" gun laws, let me assure her that this first responder (law enforcement) regards gun laws as sheer folly, as well as blatantly unconstitutional.

Blaming gun owners for the acts of criminals is akin to blaming automobile manufacturers for the acts of those who drive under the influence. There will always be those among us who misuse technology to the detriment of their fellow citizens. The proper response is to criminalize improper BEHAVIOR, not the possession of inanimate objects, an approach that always proves to be a failure. What did alcohol prohibition accomplish other than giving us the gangster era? What has been the result of our so-called "drug war" (which law enforcement lost before it ever began) other than to take the tropical paradise of Mexico and turn it into a blood-soaked wasteland?

It has been firmly established that armed citizens prevent millions of crimes per year. Let me assure Ms. Evans that the concept of the good guy with a gun is FAR from a myth, and during my professional career when I was asked by citizens what personal actions they could take to prevent crimes in their communities and protect themselves and their loved ones, my response, as a patrolman, sergeant and finally a lieutenant was always the same:

Lieutenant Harry Thomas

giphy.gif

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    BRAVO! Well stated!

Lieutenant Harry Thomas

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009

Lieutenant Harry Thomas

As Sergeant Friday would say " Just the facts ma'am "

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I work for the same company that owns the indy star, (the newspaper industry) and the editor of the paper I work for (not in indy) was asking me questions about ar15's...as in what upper to put on the 300 blackout pistol he was building!, not every one who works for the large media corporations agree with what their employers say, a reporter who sits at a desk 10 feet away from the pressroom regularly talks with me about politics, and...GASP...she's a conservative who voted for trump, and will vote for him again!

ive found over the years, that in the media industry (print at least) that production employees are generally conservative, and the editorial staff are liberal!

but as a pressman in the newspaper industry, please keep your subscription!...I need a job!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I work for the same company that owns the indy star, (the newspaper industry) and the editor of the paper I work for (not in indy) was asking me questions about ar15's...as in what upper to put on the 300 blackout pistol he was building!, not every one who works for the large media corporations agree with what their employers say, a reporter who sits at a desk 10 feet away from the pressroom regularly talks with me about politics, and...GASP...she's a conservative who voted for trump, and will vote for him again!

ive found over the years, that in the media industry (print at least) that production employees are generally conservative, and the editorial staff are liberal!

but as a pressman in the newspaper industry, please keep your subscription!...I need a job!

There were a number of years when the Crawfordsville Journal Review was owned by the Freedom Group and the editorial policy was notably libertarian before anyone knew what libertarian was. The publisher was the father of a good friend and he was and continues to be a liberty loving individual. Since then, things have shifted back and forth depending on who the editor in chief was.

Top Bottom