Ever leave the range due to unsafe shooters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I was shooting at a range outside of Dunkirk , IN on the first of this month and shooting a 357 at the 50 yard position and a couple of positions to my left at the 25 yard position there is a guy shooting a 22 rifle at a spinning metal target. After firing several rounds I look over and this guy is waking down range , no verbal warning , no "Can I go down?" and here I am with a loaded gun in my hand?! Thing is to my right there is a law enforcement officer and he sees this and never says a word?

Anyway I had enough and said "HOLD UP" - went down retrieved my targets - loaded up the car and drove to the conservation club outside of Muncie. I think I am done with that range after my membership is over this year.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've left the range several times in the past due to unsafe behavior of others. It's why I won't go to a range where people are expected to share a single shooting bay anymore. It's not worth the risk. If I can't have a bay to myself (including people I know and trust), I'm not shooting there.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Packed up once because of a RO trying to clear a malfunction for another range shooter. Walked out to the manager of the store and asked him to review video. Before I was done packing and chatting with a friend, said RO was leaving the building without the company shirt and a duffle bag in hand. Never saw him there ever again.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I got flagged at Parabellum by 3 young men with rifles. I yelled at them, someone came running in and threatened to kick them out. I rarely yell.

Same range, different day. A woman was shooting at my target. Some guy she was with was helping her. I yelled at her too, 'Quit shooting my target.'. I'm such an ars.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have.

At the same time, I'll always remember good folks warning me that I was getting too close to breaking the rules and my first day of competition DQ.

A lot of folks just don't know. If it looks as though there is a window of oportunity, I try to help those folks.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Yep. Just last Saturday. This kid was shooting a pistol. I watched the slide lock back and he turned and muzzled me as he walked my way. I grabbed the pistol, pointed it down range and said he was done shooting.

The boy was my 8 year old son. He had been shooting his M&P .22 for a while. He was excited he hit all of the steel plates. I had already warned him once about muzzle discipline.

This was only the second time he's been in the pistol bay shooting. So hopefully this sticks with him.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yep. Just last Saturday. This kid was shooting a pistol. I watched the slide lock back and he turned and muzzled me as he walked my way. I grabbed the pistol, pointed it down range and said he was done shooting.

The boy was my 8 year old son. He had been shooting his M&P .22 for a while. He was excited he hit all of the steel plates. I had already warned him once about muzzle discipline.

This was only the second time he's been in the pistol bay shooting. So hopefully this sticks with him.

We wouldn't be discussing this, if more kids had dads like you. :yesway:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Yes. At Frank Frank Merry, and at Farmland, both. If it looks like the offender is making a mistake of simple ignorance, I'll try to help them understand where they went wrong, and what is right. We all make mistakes. If they're just being a dumbass, well, anywhere around me at a range is no dumbass zone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, had similar experiences at Atterbury. That place was at times out of control.

Used to go down to Atterbury in the wild days. Had a some good times there. But also met several children in adult bodies. Some of the locals were off bubble just enough to be dangerous. My favorite were the 2 men with beers in hand at the line. That was our last time there. Never been back.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've left the range several times in the past due to unsafe behavior of others. It's why I won't go to a range where people are expected to share a single shooting bay anymore. It's not worth the risk. If I can't have a bay to myself (including people I know and trust), I'm not shooting there.

This. I wait until I can have a bay to myself at MCF&G, and really can't stand it when someone (especially someone I don't know) then wants to come in and share a bay with me.

I got flagged at Parabellum by 3 young men with rifles. I yelled at them, someone came running in and threatened to kick them out. I rarely yell.

Same range, different day. A woman was shooting at my target. Some guy she was with was helping her. I yelled at her too, 'Quit shooting my target.'. I'm such an ars.

Parabellum definitely made me nervous the times I have been in there (not many). A lot of day shooters, renting guns and no idea how to use them and doing unsafe things. I also generally don't like folks walking behind me while I'm shooting as I have trouble keeping an eye on them, while I am shooting.

When Atterbury was just dirt berms and unmanned, we left several times due to unsafe idiots.

Yep, similar experience. Had a double barrel shotgun place on the make shift bench, pointing at me, by the shooter next to me. That was the last time I went down there before it was renovated and taken over. Still not been back for a while due to the distance, but never went down there again until the Wild West days of it were done. That place was straight up scary.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Used to go down to Atterbury in the wild days. Had a some good times there. But also met several children in adult bodies. Some of the locals were off bubble just enough to be dangerous. My favorite were the 2 men with beers in hand at the line. That was our last time there. Never been back.
    Kind of a similar two beer story at the "Wild West" Atterbury range.
    Two dudes.... somewhat intoxicated.
    Home made black powder cannon. (appeared to be a bottle jack handle)
    Refrigerator box, one of the dudes laid down on it and his buddy traced around him with a sharpie.
    Added about a 44 mag case of BP.
    Filled it up with gravel.
    Set that bad boy off.
    Pretty much shot the crotch area out of the "target"
    I realized I had other places to be.
    You just can't trust Gin on top of beer.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have.

At the same time, I'll always remember good folks warning me that I was getting too close to breaking the rules and my first day of competition DQ.

A lot of folks just don't know. If it looks as though there is a window of oportunity, I try to help those folks.

Right answer.

Simply packing up and leaving doesn't fix the problem - it just removes you from it. I'd prefer if we police our own rather than someone outside the gun culture.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Right answer.

Simply packing up and leaving doesn't fix the problem - it just removes you from it. I'd prefer if we police our own rather than someone outside the gun culture.

How many of these people have you attempted to help and been successful in doing so. I have hit more negative walls than receptive. People do not want to be helped for the most part. And yes, we do try when the situation merits it.

Had an idiot touch off a 44 Mag next to my right ear on a cold range at MCF&G some years ago. Both he and the host member were complete ass hats about his obvious and most dangerous mistake. Cold range, no ears on. I am still near deaf in that ear.
    How would any of you handle that one and how would you look at idiots going forward.

Solid question.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How many of these people have you attempted to help and been successful in doing so. I have hit more negative walls than receptive. People do not want to be helped for the most part. And yes, we do try when the situation merits it.

Had an idiot touch off a 44 Mag next to my right ear on a cold range at MCF&G some years ago. Both he and the host member were complete ass hats about his obvious and most dangerous mistake. Cold range, no ears on. I am still near deaf in that ear.
    How would any of you handle that one and how would you look at idiots going forward.

Solid question.
    Wow... I can't say I would have been polite in that situation. I hope you've buried those two bodies well. Maybe getting the **** out of Dodge is a better plan...

I've rarely encountered "range idiots", but have educated a few. Yes, sometimes they look at you like you're a fuddy-duddy and utter "but it aint loadid"...

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    4 rules. The target will still be there when you're ready.

Packed up once because of a RO trying to clear a malfunction for another range shooter. Walked out to the manager of the store and asked him to review video. Before I was done packing and chatting with a friend, said RO was leaving the building without the company shirt and a duffle bag in hand. Never saw him there ever again.

I'm waiting for the rest of the story. :popcorn:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow... I can't say I would have been polite in that situation. I hope you've buried those two bodies well. Maybe getting the **** out of Dodge is a better plan...

I've rarely encountered "range idiots", but have educated a few. Yes, sometimes they look at you like you're a fuddy-duddy and utter "but it aint loadid"...

Our situation was handled off the range at another time. But this has seriously jaded me in all of this. We still do what can be done with people who will accept well offered help. When met with the "But it aint loaded" attitude more than once it was loaded. Oh mercy me HITF did that Booolit get in there. 2 of these were at Atterbury back in the wild wild west days. One got stupid with the fella we were with. He woke up a few minutes later and staggered back to his car where all his gear was bagged up and waiting. You do not point a gun at an Army ranger especially a loaded one. Nice shot too. I mean the one to his head.

As a group there is a large faction of non-educated know it all's involved. I have had situations with firearms that scared the hell out of me. Lessons learned and remembered. In trying to share good knowledge we are often met with resistance.

Top Bottom