Bottom Line: Lawful Gun Owners Blamed For Killings By Walmart and Kroger.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    It has been about a week since Walmart and Kroger made the decision to "politely" ask that we not open carry in stores.

I have read all the threads and comments regarding our rights and their rights. Etc. Read some good and not so good ideas on how we answer this situation and have come to one conclusion that I think is at the crux of the issue. The thing that is the burr under the saddle, and this is it....

By this action, at this time, in this climate, Walmart, Kroger, CVS et al are blaming lawful law abiding gun owners for the mass killings and other gun violence.

They are plainly signaling that we are the problem. Us, our guns, our attitudes, everything we are and believe are the problem with the country.

So now what do we do? It is not exclusively a rights issue. But make no mistake, we are being blamed and 145 or so CEO's of large companies agree.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Hmmmmm. Both those virtuous establishments still purvey alcohol and nicotine don't they. What is the word I'm looking for, it begins with an H I think, hypo......something.

MH

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We do nothing. Continue to support the anti-gunners by spending money with companies that support them. We'll just wait and see how that goes... :n00b:

Hopefully I'm wrong. We'll see...

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    No such thing as 'gun violence'! Guns don't do anything without an operational human behind them. Loon violence or crazies, but no 'gun violence'.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    I agree with everything you said. I really think that outreach is the key. The only way to influence the public opinion is to expose more people to firearms and why they are a good thing in our lives. Take the time to discuss your views in a civil manner with those who don't agree. Listen carefully to their views without interrupting, even if you want to bang your head against the wall. Many people are anti-gun or anti-2A due to a lack of understanding about firearms, and it's so easy to educate them politely and show them the light without making them feel stupid in the process. Take some new people to the range.

It all has to start on the micro-level in order to change minds. Most of the public gets their information about firearms from places like CNN, not someone who actually owns and understand firearms. Seek to change that and we'll slowly change the opinion around guns.

wingrider1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I agree with everything you said. I really think that outreach is the key. The only way to influence the public opinion is to expose more people to firearms and why they are a good thing in our lives. Take the time to discuss your views in a civil manner with those who don't agree. Listen carefully to their views without interrupting, even if you want to bang your head against the wall. Many people are anti-gun or anti-2A due to a lack of understanding about firearms, and it's so easy to educate them politely and show them the light without making them feel stupid in the process. Take some new people to the range.

It all has to start on the micro-level in order to change minds. Most of the public gets their information about firearms from places like CNN, not someone who actually owns and understand firearms. Seek to change that and we'll slowly change the opinion around guns.
    Mike Braun out, SarahG in.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Repped...

sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    It has been about a week since Walmart and Kroger made the decision to "politely" ask that we not open carry in stores.

I have read all the threads and comments regarding our rights and their rights. Etc. Read some good and not so good ideas on how we answer this situation and have come to one conclusion that I think is at the crux of the issue. The thing that is the burr under the saddle, and this is it....

By this action, at this time, in this climate, Walmart, Kroger, CVS et al are blaming lawful law abiding gun owners for the mass killings and other gun violence.

They are plainly signaling that we are the problem. Us, our guns, our attitudes, everything we are and believe are the problem with the country.

So now what do we do? It is not exclusively a rights issue. But make no mistake, we are being blamed and 145 or so CEO's of large companies agree.

Did you expect anything less from the left? I don't know how old you are but I'm over 50 and we have been getting blamed by the media and the left for as long as I can remember.

The gun community has been making great strides with the public the last 10 years and we got set back by the idiot that decided it was a good idea to walk into a WalMart open carrying an AR15 to see if he could get a rise out of people. He accomplished his goal with the left and the media. Like Sarah said we have to win back the trust a little at a time by educating people. You and I both know that the acts of these shooters are not representative of the gun community but we now have to deal with the fall out.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    This is how we operate as a society. 20 people do something extremely stupid so the 'leaders' figure out how to ban that activity for the 99.9999% who aren't stupid.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County

Outstanding job Sarah.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is how we operate as a society. 20 people do something extremely stupid so the 'leaders' figure out how to ban that activity for the 99.9999% who aren't stupid.

And the 99.9999% keep voting those same "LEADERS" back into power. So who in this is actually stupid...???

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    It is unfortunate that the quality of many candidates leaves a LOT to be desired.
    Don't forget that when a truly conservative candidate comes along on the Republican ticket, the elites in the party often work to eliminate said candidate as evidenced by the powers that be allowed Young on the ballot when he failed garner enough signatures on the petition to run and then the Republican elites spent a lot to beat his opponent and found a way to smear him.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lots of people have short memories, a product of modern big media culture. Two big events happened in the early part of the century that moved people in the pro gun direction, 9/11 and the Katrina disaster. These two things taught people in this country two things. The 9/11 attacks told us that there's a lot of crazy out there that doesn't like Americans and there's really no guaranteed security from it. The Katrina disaster told us that when the chips are really down government is at best slow to respond if it responds at all, you are essentially, on your own.

A gun provides people with a sense of personal security and after those two events gun control went off the table for a while. Recent events like the shootings and the absence of outside threats have gotten people back into the mindset that the government will provide security. A ludicrous example of that thinking occurred during Katrina when the local law was more concerned about enforcing gun control than it was in helping it's drowning citizens.

I don't want to think that the only way gun control will go away is if we are constantly under the perception of being stalked by threatening conditions. Maybe that's the case.

Top Bottom