• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    And here is an article that seems as confused and contradictory as today's young people: https://www.insider.com/mass-shooting-threats-arrests-after-dayton-el-paso-2019-8

There are too many quotable things in there that did nothing but "T" me off. Read it at your own peril. I was looking for the story about this week's latest lost-child head-case and stumbled across the linked article. Editorial or news article? In favor of people being arrested or not? Apparently reporting someone making threats and having them arrested is a good thing, but it might not be because then they'll just be angrier.

Last line from the 'story'; "He continued: "Often after these mass shootings they'll interview neighbors of the person, and they'll say things like, 'He was such a normal guy — of course, he did have 17 guns in his house.' Having 17 guns doesn't even register as, 'Wow, that's a big red flag.'

Apparently some think how many guns someone owns indicates a 'flag-able' personality. Already putting social pressure on Red-Flag Laws before they are even instituted (nationally)?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    And here is an article that seems as confused and contradictory as today's young people: https://www.insider.com/mass-shooting-threats-arrests-after-dayton-el-paso-2019-8

There are too many quotable things in there that did nothing but "T" me off. Read it at your own peril. I was looking for the story about this week's latest lost-child head-case and stumbled across the linked article. Editorial or news article? In favor of people being arrested or not? Apparently reporting someone making threats and having them arrested is a good thing, but it might not be because then they'll just be angrier.

Last line from the 'story'; "He continued: "Often after these mass shootings they'll interview neighbors of the person, and they'll say things like, 'He was such a normal guy — of course, he did have 17 guns in his house.' Having 17 guns doesn't even register as, 'Wow, that's a big red flag.'

Apparently some think how many guns someone owns indicates a 'flag-able' personality. Already putting social pressure on Red-Flag Laws before they are even instituted (nationally)?

My wife saw a report on the tube several years ago where they stated that the perp was found with over 1000 rounds of ammunition in their possession. I took her to the storage area and showed her what 2000 rounds of ammunition looked like. She was amazed that it all fit so neatly in that shoe box.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Where is our response? Our counter advertisement?

"The FN Five-Seven fits discreetly in a backpack, has low recoil suitable for middle school and older, will penetrate many types of inexpensive soft armor favored by school shooters, and packs high capacity for extended gunfights with multiple shooters."

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I like it.
    I think it plays out very well. It tells me NOT to let my child go to some vulnerable school that won't put my child's safety first by either completely hardening the school (which is near impossible) or by simply arming up the campus.

My kid's safety overrides everything else. Period.

Oh wait.... You mean that's not what that commercial was about? Well it should be.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    gxli6OP.jpg

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My wife saw a report on the tube several years ago where they stated that the perp was found with over 1000 rounds of ammunition in their possession. I took her to the storage area and showed her what 2000 rounds of ammunition looked like. She was amazed that it all fit so neatly in that shoe box.
    A 1000 rounds!!!!

:faint:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Gun owners have some difficulty with this as our strategy is defensive in nature, most of us just want to be left alone. To take the offense we'll have to just prove that having guns is more useful than not having them. Promoting events where guns were used for protecting innocents is a good counter. Hollywood does this for us in the film business all the time and it's just as valid as the fiction depicted here.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    American gun ownership is defensive in nature. We buy guns to defend ourselves from tyrannical government, home invaders, carjackers, and the like. Millions of others buy guns for non-2A purposes like hunting and competitive shooting. We’re going to have to learn how to go on offense; the now-disorganized NRA, of which I’m a life member, has to buck up. I mention them because that’s where the bulk of the 2A donations go. This overly-dramatic, overly-hyped commercial, has to be countered in some way — and it has to be done quickly. Not being a media person, I don’t have the answer as to what that looks like. Unfortunately, it can’t be “don’t believe the hype.” The hype is there. No one, including all of us, want to see terrible things happening to others, especially kids. I’d rather see a good guy with a gun prevailing against an attacker.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    One of the main difficulties is that being a responsible, upstanding member of the gun-owner community is that no one knows because we are not a nuisance. Upholding the ideals of being a responsible gun-owner precludes the notion of anyone else knowing that you are a responsible gun owner.

I am with bwframe. I would like to see a PR advertising campaign for gun owners, maybe it could go something like this:

Open scene:
    Hi, my name is John Smith. I'm your neighbor and a responsible gun owner, so chances are that you don't even know that I enjoy shooting firearms.

Scene two:
    I'm Sally, a single mother of two. I am a gun owner because I am willing to take on the personal responsibility of defending myself and my kids if it becomes necessary.

Scene three:
    I'm Joe. No one in my household has ever been injured by one of our firearms because we believe that education, safety and responsibility are imperative.

Spend ten million on a PR campaign and some jack-wagon on Youtube ruins everything with a 30 second video showing how fast he can blow the hell out of something. Sometimes I think the gun community is even a worse enemy to itself than Bloomberg.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Regardless, that video is powerful.

Yes it is. Very powerful. And someone is trying to equate that because of our insistence to uphold the Second Amendment of the Constitution, we are a part of the problem.

Unfortunately, as much as I hate to admit it. We are.

We are a stumbling block to their agenda.

We are an outmoded group of people that are independent minded.

We are not willingly giving in to the larger push for delayed maturity and denial of personal responsibility.

We are 98 million (estimated) Americans that are in the minority.

Flamesuit, Activate!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of the main difficulties is that being a responsible, upstanding member of the gun-owner community is that no one knows because we are not a nuisance. Upholding the ideals of being a responsible gun-owner precludes the notion of anyone else knowing that you are a responsible gun owner.

I am with bwframe. I would like to see a PR advertising campaign for gun owners, maybe it could go something like this:

Open scene:
    Hi, my name is John Smith. I'm your neighbor and a responsible gun owner, so chances are that you don't even know that I enjoy shooting firearms.

Scene two:
    I'm Sally, a single mother of two. I am a gun owner because I am willing to take on the personal responsibility of defending myself and my kids if it becomes necessary.

Scene three:
    I'm Joe. No one in my household has ever been injured by one of our firearms because we believe that education, safety and responsibility are imperative.

Spend ten million on a PR campaign and some jack-wagon on Youtube ruins everything with a 30 second video showing how fast he can blow the hell out of something. Sometimes I think the gun community is even a worse enemy to itself than Bloomberg.

Yes. There are just enough idiots with guns to put us all in a bad light.

I have yet to watch the video

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    OK I watched it and yes it is powerful. But it is sending the wrong messages.

It is sending all the messages that they want sent. Open up with a back-to-school scenario that we are all familiar with (It might even pass for an Office Depot commercial). Shock image of blood and schoolchildren tending to each others wounds. Engage the viewer with the "I Love You Mom" text. Close with a tear streaming girl hiding in a darkened bathroom stall with the sound of approaching footsteps.

It is brilliant, engaging and terrorizing. It is professional with A-1 production values. It is propaganda on a level that Goebbels would probably be proud of.

It is meant to shame gun owners and bring shame upon gun owners without ever having to make the direct point. It might even make your neighbors fear and loath you (gun owner).

Top Bottom