• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    ok so I am primarily a Hand gun and shot gun guy. For Rifles I have always used Iron sights. Fast forward I picked up a nice red dot for my Mini 14 and a bore sighting tool for 223. From what I understand you simply move the dot so that they essentially overlap, and become one dot? Does it matter where the dot sits on the Rail? from what I can tell the Red dot would be extremely fast for short to medium range.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Boresighting will get you roughly zeroed. You will still need to go out and put it on paper at the distance you want to shoot.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boresighting will get you roughly zeroed. You will still need to go out and put it on paper at the distance you want to shoot.

Yeah that is the part that confused me "Distance" seems like with the Bore sighter the dot is not going to change whether you put the bore sighter dot 3 feet in front of you or 30 feet down the hall?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah that is the part that confused me "Distance" seems like with the Bore sighter the dot is not going to change whether you put the bore sighter dot 3 feet in front of you or 30 feet down the hall?

Correct.

But the angle between the dot and your optic flattens out the farther you get from the wall. This is handy: (not this exaggerated, but you get the point.

url
    bullet-trajectory-600x361.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have a solid place to bore site. The back deck at dusk. Use a decent bore laser. I have 25/50/75 yards marked on fence posts and phone poles. I find this method very successful and I can push it out to 100 in the dimmer light.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    We have a solid place to bore site. The back deck at dusk. Use a decent bore laser. I have 25/50/75 yards marked on fence posts and phone poles. I find this method very successful and I can push it out to 100 in the dimmer light.

I might have to borrow your technique. I am guessing 25 yards should be fine for home use?

Thanks

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I zero my Aimpoints and ACOGs at 36 yards for all my 5.56 55 grain guns.
    With it, overall there's not much hold over or hold under when going out to my max distance of say 200-300 yards.

It's like a sweet spot.

Years ago my brother and I were using 25-28 yards to zero after doing the math (before the internet) but I have read online that some out there have figured that it's 36 yards for those trying to do what we were trying all along. So we were close or 55gr Lake City Mil Spec has changed a bit.

I'm sure you can see all the flight paths for every possible combination that exists now days. We just wanted to simplify shooting without having to think fast in a hurry. As we get older, its so much nicer to shoot without thinking anyway. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I might have to borrow your technique. I am guessing 25 yards should be fine for home use?

Thanks

Our home defense optics are zero'd at 25. Any past that and you are seriously pushing legality.
    Get on center at 25. A man sized target will take solid hits anywhere in that distance. And beyond.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I zero my Aimpoints and ACOGs at 36 yards for all my 5.56 55 grain guns.
    With it, overall there's not much hold over or hold under when going out to my max distance of say 200-300 yards.

It's like a sweet spot.

Years ago my brother and I were using 25-28 yards to zero after doing the math (before the internet) but I have read online that some out there have figured that it's 36 yards for those trying to do what we were trying all along. So we were close or 55gr Lake City Mil Spec has changed a bit.

I'm sure you can see all the flight paths for every possible combination that exists now days. We just wanted to simplify shooting without having to think fast in a hurry. As we get older, its so much nicer to shoot without thinking anyway. :):

Interesting. We have used the 25 yard standard forever.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I haven't had much luck with el cheapo boresighting tools. If an optic comes out of the box, goes on the gun, and won't even get on a large paper target at 25-50 yards, that probably indicates something wonky is going on.

Maybe if you buy some secondhand optic from Bubba that is cranked all the way to the edge of adjustment, but IMO if you buy a modern firearm and a modern optic, and install it properly, you should be on paper out of the box and able to shoot a zero target and adjust accordingly within 3 or 4 groups.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I haven't had much luck with el cheapo boresighting tools. If an optic comes out of the box, goes on the gun, and won't even get on a large paper target at 25-50 yards, that probably indicates something wonky is going on.

Maybe if you buy some secondhand optic from Bubba that is cranked all the way to the edge of adjustment, but IMO if you buy a modern firearm and a modern optic, and install it properly, you should be on paper out of the box and able to shoot a zero target and adjust accordingly within 3 or 4 groups.

I use a bore laser. Not a cheap one but not a $350 unit either. Not a perfect zero but after using it for a good while I have a system that works pretty well. Always some fine tuning to do.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Our home defense optics are zero'd at 25. Any past that and you are seriously pushing legality.
    Get on center at 25. A man sized target will take solid hits anywhere in that distance. And beyond.

I went out and walked it off last night. From the point where the coyote s start to gather to the barn is maybe a little over 100 feet. It may not be too scientific but i think i will put some targets out there and see how much variation there is on the paper. Nice thing is we have a ridge in that area.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I went out and walked it off last night. From the point where the coyote s start to gather to the barn is maybe a little over 100 feet. It may not be too scientific but i think i will put some targets out there and see how much variation there is on the paper. Nice thing is we have a ridge in that area.

At 100 ft you should have no trouble hitting a Coyote if you have done the laser thing.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    ok so I am primarily a Hand gun and shot gun guy. For Rifles I have always used Iron sights. Fast forward I picked up a nice red dot for my Mini 14 and a bore sighting tool for 223. From what I understand you simply move the dot so that they essentially overlap, and become one dot? Does it matter where the dot sits on the Rail? from what I can tell the Red dot would be extremely fast for short to medium range.

Using a laser bore sighter I measure the distance from the middle of my scope to the middle of my barrel. For example say the crosshairs or dot sits 2.75" above the middle of the bore I adjust the crosshairs or red dot 2.75" above the laser point. I usually do it in my home then go to the range and shoot it at 25 yards make sure I'm on paper make a few adjustments then back to 50 yards. Works out pretty good for me.

A 5.56mm shot in at 50 yards is good from 0-200 yards. Just point and click.

Top Bottom