Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wcd
    Expert

User Info Menu

is that all there is to it?

ok so I am primarily a Hand gun and shot gun guy. For Rifles I have always used Iron sights. Fast forward I picked up a nice red dot for my Mini 14 and a bore sighting tool for 223. From what I understand you simply move the dot so that they essentially overlap, and become one dot? Does it matter where the dot sits on the Rail? from what I can tell the Red dot would be extremely fast for short to medium range.

User Info Menu

Boresighting will get you roughly zeroed. You will still need to go out and put it on paper at the distance you want to shoot.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

wcd
    Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    Boresighting will get you roughly zeroed. You will still need to go out and put it on paper at the distance you want to shoot.
    Yeah that is the part that confused me "Distance" seems like with the Bore sighter the dot is not going to change whether you put the bore sighter dot 3 feet in front of you or 30 feet down the hall?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wcd View Post
    Yeah that is the part that confused me "Distance" seems like with the Bore sighter the dot is not going to change whether you put the bore sighter dot 3 feet in front of you or 30 feet down the hall?
    Correct.

But the angle between the dot and your optic flattens out the farther you get from the wall. This is handy: (not this exaggerated, but you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

We have a solid place to bore site. The back deck at dusk. Use a decent bore laser. I have 25/50/75 yards marked on fence posts and phone poles. I find this method very successful and I can push it out to 100 in the dimmer light.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    We have a solid place to bore site. The back deck at dusk. Use a decent bore laser. I have 25/50/75 yards marked on fence posts and phone poles. I find this method very successful and I can push it out to 100 in the dimmer light.
    You can go all the way in broad daylight with the right target.

https://www.tigersupplies.com/Produc...SABEgL2hPD_BwE
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

wcd
    Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Correct.

But the angle between the dot and your optic flattens out the farther you get from the wall. This is handy: (not this exaggerated, but you get the point.

Thank you!

wcd
    Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    I might have to borrow your technique. I am guessing 25 yards should be fine for home use?

Thanks

User Info Menu

I zero my Aimpoints and ACOGs at 36 yards for all my 5.56 55 grain guns.
    With it, overall there's not much hold over or hold under when going out to my max distance of say 200-300 yards.

It's like a sweet spot.

Years ago my brother and I were using 25-28 yards to zero after doing the math (before the internet) but I have read online that some out there have figured that it's 36 yards for those trying to do what we were trying all along. So we were close or 55gr Lake City Mil Spec has changed a bit.

I'm sure you can see all the flight paths for every possible combination that exists now days. We just wanted to simplify shooting without having to think fast in a hurry. As we get older, its so much nicer to shoot without thinking anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wcd View Post
    I might have to borrow your technique. I am guessing 25 yards should be fine for home use?

Thanks
    Our home defense optics are zero'd at 25. Any past that and you are seriously pushing legality.
    Get on center at 25. A man sized target will take solid hits anywhere in that distance. And beyond.

AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast