Colt no longer producing ARs for civilians.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I just read a news story to the effect that Colt has announced it will no longer produce the AR15 for sale to the civilian market.

My mind is reeling at what an idiotic business decision this is. The inevitable boycott will bankrupt them.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The consumer market for rifles has "experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity" and there's too much supply of AR-15 guns on the market to justify making more, the company said in a statement. Colt will still manufacture other consumer guns, including pistols and revolvers, and it will continue to expand its network of dealers.

Colt said its business remains healthy, buoyed by its numerous military and law enforcement contracts.

"Currently, these high-volume contracts are absorbing all of Colt's manufacturing capacity for rifles," the Connecticut-based company said.

Colt reaffirmed its support for the Second Amendment, but the company said that it is "good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ​SERIOUSLY????

Yes, remember last week? We talked about how Colt, just emerging from bankruptcy, facing state ownership and union corruption (you know about the UAW criminal matters, yes?), is freezing production for 4Q 2019 so it can concentrate on the PIP contract for those 500,000 M4s to M4A1s.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/army-plans-its-huge-stockpile-m4a1-rifles-79431

Colt must fulfill this contract as this is a life line to Big Army. Remember, Colt does not have an entry into the 6.8 and MMG program. Not a single one. They screw this up and they are done with DoD. Hello, FN or SIG!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And if you remember, it is all BBI's fault!

I wanted to blame generals so I could fire them. BBI used unfair weapons like reason and logic. *kicks rocks, folds arms*

I still want to fire generals . . . . kinda . . . . sorta . . . . ok, any excuse to fire one. Just one, let me fire one of them.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I just read a news story to the effect that Colt has announced it will no longer produce the AR15 for sale to the civilian market.

My mind is reeling at what an idiotic business decision this is. The inevitable boycott will bankrupt them.

They aren't going to make ARs....what are you going to boycott, handguns and revolvers?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    IMO it's probably a smart move. The market is flooded with AR assemblers. Colt has to compete with a lot of companies that are living on thin margins to move product. Why take up capacity when they can focus on handguns that most likely higher margin for them.

Plus, as has been mentioned here, they need to fulfill .gov contracts. That will provide cash flow for them.

More businesses should employ Product Line Simplification (PLS). Manufacture and sell as few products as you can and still be what you want to be.

Plus, I don't think they were setting the world on fire with civilian AR sales.

:twocents:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Plus, I don't think they were setting the world on fire with civilian AR sales.

The 6960 set the AR world on fire . . . because Colt was actually listening to the end user.

I am a Colt AR-fan but BCM, DD, SIG, inter alia on on the cutting edge. Colt is merely the gold standard, what one looks back to.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    when they resume production they should stick with 2 or 3 models and that's it. I have a colt AR and am happy with it. To my knowledge Savage has never made an AR platform rifle and they are doing just fine.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There might be one or two INGOers around who are really into Colt ARs. *whistling*

If only we knew who they were.

I'm not big into Colts, but I do still have a "green box label" AR15 HBAR I bought new in the late 1980's.
    It's been a good quality rifle.
    The day after I bought it, Colt announced no more sales to civilians.
    I don't shoot it often to keep it nice, and I've built others over the years that I shoot.

Top Bottom