• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    After putting a Red Dot on my Mini 14 I kind of want something that is a little more budget friendly on the wallet, not real sold on an auto loading or Bolt Action. Seems like 22 lr is still the King of cheap shooting fun.

So I am considering a 10/22 take down, also in the mix is the Ruger 17 HMR. Understanding that 17 is a bit pricey but seems like it would fill the bill for going long distances.
    Thougths?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have oodles of .22's and they are all fun.

I am into old guns which have "soul" and history.

Semi's would go to the "gill guns". Nothing like shooting with a long barrel and it is neat to be able to hold the bolt back until you release the trigger. If you want you can also use it as a short throw bolt action by simply pushing in on the charging handle. I also use an old Marlin 88, big as a truck axle and twice as heavy. Winchester 74's are remarkably accurate and compact but also on the heavy side compared to a modern throw away guns.

Bolt action my hands down fav is my Browning left handed T-bolt. Super accurate and light for when I want to carry. But it is pricey.

Why choose one when you can have so many reasons to keep going back to the LGS?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    About anything you could want available in a 22. I'm going to recommend against a 10-22 if you're trying to be budget conscious. Too damn easy to start modifying and changing out parts. Before you know it the only original parts are the receiver and magazine and you've spent over $1000 on upgrades. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Regardless of platform/caliber, if you are looking for precision, don't forget to budget the optics sticker shock.

On .22s, consistent precision also figures into ammo costs.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    everyone needs at least one .22 LR rifle.
    I had one...then two...then three...I managed to stop at four.

My favorite is my Savage FVSR bolt.

Once you have the rifle and an optic, of course you have to get a suppressor, so make sure whatever you get it has a threaded barrel.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    .22LR just doesn't need barrel length to reach full velocity or accuracy potential.
    To fill the bill for the OP I'd find an ugly bolt action .22 for cheap that was so ugly that it didn't matter that it belonged to grandaddy.
    Then I'd hack saw the barrel back to maybe 18" to get rid of the cleaning rod and closet rust damage, recrown, refinish the stock with dent steaming and all the "excessive" sanding it took to clean it up, adjust the hand grip and length of pull to the smallest person who will shoot it, refit the factory butt plate, pull of the rear sight and put a scope on it.
    Might even get wild and crazy and decide what finish to use on all the metal. If it's already browning then browning solution as used on muzzleloaders is really good.
    40 years ago hunting in the viney thickets of southeast Texas a long barrel and front sight were detriments. I went with barely over 16" of barrel and a 2x7 scope and length of pull shortened way back.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Great time of year to be shopping. I like Savage bolt guns. Do some research and start watching Gun Deals and RKGuns. Starting mid October some great deals should be popping up. Let us know what you get.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    After putting a Red Dot on my Mini 14 I kind of want something that is a little more budget friendly on the wallet, not real sold on an auto loading or Bolt Action. Seems like 22 lr is still the King of cheap shooting fun.

So I am considering a 10/22 take down, also in the mix is the Ruger 17 HMR. Understanding that 17 is a bit pricey but seems like it would fill the bill for going long distances.
    Thougths?

I was looking for a 22 magnum semi-automatic rifle. I looked at the price per box of ammo and found 9mm to be cheaper per box, and a lot more powerful. So I searched for a PCC and ended up with the Ruger PC 9mm. I put a 1-4x24 illuminated option scope on it. Love it.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    22lr will be for all time the king of plinkers. If you don't like auto loading look at ruger american rimfire. I beleive it takes all 10/22 magazines (10, 25, 50). If you want auto loading go with the 10/22 takedown; you can buy an old used 10/22 for probably half that retail though. 17 hmr is about twice as expensive to shoot (.22 cents vs .10). But for long range shooting 17 hmr is a flat shooter for 150 plus.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    22LR in a bolt action is often overlooked. Easier on the ammo, often more accurate, with the potential to get really accurate.

Top Bottom